A Biblical Quiz - 10 questions

BluePhantom

Educator (of liberals)
Nov 11, 2011
Portland, OR / Salem, OR
I am posting this just from the perspectives of interest and research. I am researching something important, but I am also legitimately curious. Here is the challenge:

- Do not google anything. Answer to the best of your ability according to your understanding. If you don't know just say "I don't know". That's ok. No one knows everything...not even me. ;) And it is important for my research to get an honest calculation of just how many people really don't know. I am limiting this to Christians, Jews, and atheists because that is the focus of my research. I respect other beliefs but this is what I want to focus on right now. I have my reasons.

- Answer the OP first before you read any responses or you will bias yourself and interfere with my research I am not interested in you getting every answer correct (and for a lot of them there is no correct answer). I am interested in what you know off the top of your head and what you can tell me in your own words. We can discuss each others' answer in the thread but to enter the conversation I ask that you first answer the OP and then engage in discussion.

- No hammering on people who didn't know the answer or had no answer. Everyone is on their own path and their own timetable. Respect where they are.

Please answer the following 10 questions.

1) How would you define your religious beliefs? (Be as specific as possible: atheist, pagan, Christian Methodist, Christian Southern Baptist, Satanist, etc)

2) Is the Bible a historical and/or literal document or should it be taken allegorically looking for overall lessons and messages as opposed to historical events?

3) Describe the difference according to 1st century CE Jews and Christians between the Son of God and the Son of Man.

4) The 1st century CE Zealots had their roots to what character from the Maccabeean Revolt? What did that character do that provided their inspiration?

5) Who did Jesus have the most in common with between the Zealots, Essenes, Pharisees, and Sadducees? Explain why.

6) List the order in which scholars believe the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John were written and match each gospel to the depiction of Jesus from the following list: teacher, God, the new Moses, philosopher and theologian.

7) True or false. Coins minted in Judea during the praetorship of Pontius Pilate had the image of the Roman Emperor on them. Why is that important?

8) What is the hypothetical Q-gospel?

9) What writing from the Biblical apocrypha is usually credited with the concept that thinking about sin is just as bad as committing the sin?

10) According to tradition, what symbol did Constantine I place on his soldiers' shields before the Battle of Milvian Bridge? (Hint...it was NOT a cross)

Thank you all so much. I look forward to your responses

I am posting this just from the perspectives of interest and research. I am researching something important, but I am also legitimately curious. Here is the challenge:

- Do not google anything. Answer to the best of your ability according to your understanding. If you don't know just say "I don't know". That's ok. No one knows everything...not even me. ;) And it is important for my research to get an honest calculation of just how many people really don't know. I am limiting this to Christians, Jews, and atheists because that is the focus of my research. I respect other beliefs but this is what I want to focus on right now. I have my reasons.

- Answer the OP first before you read any responses or you will bias yourself and interfere with my research I am not interested in you getting every answer correct (and for a lot of them there is no correct answer). I am interested in what you know off the top of your head and what you can tell me in your own words. We can discuss each others' answer in the thread but to enter the conversation I ask that you first answer the OP and then engage in discussion.

- No hammering on people who didn't know the answer or had no answer. Everyone is on their own path and their own timetable. Respect where they are.

1) How would you define your religious beliefs? (Be as specific as possible: atheist, pagan, Christian Methodist, Christian Southern Baptist, Satanist, etc)

2) Is the Bible a historical and/or literal document or should it be taken allegorically looking for overall lessons and messages as opposed to historical events?

3) Describe the difference according to 1st century CE Jews and Christians between the Son of God and the Son of Man.

4) The 1st century CE Zealots had their roots to what character from the Maccabeean Revolt? What did that character do that provided their inspiration?

5) Who did Jesus have the most in common with between the Zealots, Essenes, Pharisees, and Sadducees? Explain why.

6) List the order in which scholars believe the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John were written and match each gospel to the depiction of Jesus from the following list: teacher, God, the new Moses, philosopher and theologian.

7) True or false. Coins minted in Judea during the praetorship of Pontius Pilate had the image of the Roman Emperor on them. Why is that important?

9) What writing from the Biblical apocrypha is usually credited with the concept that thinking about sin is just as bad as committing the sin?

10) According to tradition, what symbol did Constantine I place on his soldiers' shields before the Battle of Milvian Bridge? (Hint...it was NOT a cross)

1) Ecclectic. While I have no firm religious affiliation, my beliefs are from many different religions and traditions.

2) Not knowing how to read ancient Hebrew or Greek, relying solely on English translations I'd have to say the Bible is a collection of the 'PC' versions of some of what was written, but not nearly all of it. There's probably more written about Jesus every bit as true and accurate outside the official Canon as in it.

3) I don't know.

4) I don't know.

5) Essenes. I don't know would be accurate too, but I caught some of a documentary saying he was like the Essenes if not also a member.

6) I don't know. Have read the order, but not commited it to long-term memory.

7) Guessing true, would have been important to show that Israel was part of the Roman Empire so they have to use Roman currency.

8) I don't know.

9) I don't know. Thought 'he that looks upon a woman with lust in his heart has already commited adultery with her' was in the Canon, not Apocrypha?

10) I don't know.

Thank you Delta. That was valuable. I am going to let a few more people answer before I start chiming in with my own responses, but that was extremely helpful.

9) I don't know. Thought 'he that looks upon a woman with lust in his heart has already commited adultery with her' was in the Canon, not Apocrypha?

I will chime in here though. This is actually a VERY, VERY tricky question. Without giving too much away it is written in one of the Biblical gospels that thinking about a sin is the same as committing it, but many scholars believe that came from an apocryphal book that was in circulation before that specific gospel was written. You notice I underlined that I wanted the apocryphal source. The question is designed to determine everyone's knowledge of Biblical apocrypha and how it relates in time and concept to the Biblical canon. It's a VERY tough question

I will chime in here though. This is actually a VERY, VERY tricky question. Without giving too much away it is written in one of the Biblical gospels that thinking about a sin is the same as committing it, but many scholars believe that came from an apocryphal book that was in circulation before that specific gospel was written. You notice I underlined that I wanted the apocryphal source. The question is designed to determine everyone's knowledge of Biblical apocrypha and how it relates in time and concept to the Biblical canon. It's a VERY tough question

Neuroscientists would say it's nonsense. If thinking of a white elephant were the worst sin imaginable and one guaranteed to send you to hell, everyone reading this would be screwed. You can't not think of something until you think of it. Just one of those strange things. :)

Neuroscientists would say it's nonsense. If thinking of a white elephant were the worst sin imaginable and one guaranteed to send you to hell, everyone reading this would be screwed. You can't not think of something until you think of it. Just one of those strange things. :)

Oh I agree with you totally. We are not robots. Hell even Mr. Spock got tempted and thought about things he shouldn't have during Pon Farr. ;) But that's not the theological concept and that concept exists whether you and I think it's bullshit or not. :D

Oh I agree with you totally. We are not robots. Hell even Mr. Spock got tempted and thought about things he shouldn't have during Pon Farr. ;) But that's not the theological concept and that concept exists whether you and I think it's bullshit or not. :D

Spock's pon far thing was out of his control. Basicly the Vulcan equivilent of a woman's monthly cycle. Except the Vulcan cycle was every however many years. :)

1) How would you define your religious beliefs? High Church Anglican

2) Is the Bible a historical and/or literal document or should it be taken allegorically looking for overall lessons and messages as opposed to historical events? For guidance, inspiration, allegory, and historical reference

3) Describe the difference according to 1st century CE Jews and Christians between the Son of God and the Son of Man. Jews would have seen him as a temporal coming of a 'David', a Messiah to create a new Jewish empire; whereas, the Christians would see him as a Son of God and Redeemer that would lead to resurrection literally into the next life.

4) The 1st century CE Zealots had their roots to what character from the Maccabeean Revolt? What did that character do that provided their inspiration? The Maccabees were the jihadi equivalent of 1st century BC Judiasm. Mattathias (sp?), a man with no sense of tolerance for beliefs other than his own, would be the example.

5) Who did Jesus have the most in common with between the Zealots, Essenes, Pharisees, and Sadducees? Explain why. The Pharisees: reverence for Jewish cultural life, separatism, and the resurrection.

6) List the order in which scholars believe the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John were written and match each gospel to the depiction of Jesus from the following list: teacher, God, the new Moses, philosopher and theologian. Too tough for me.

7) True or false. Coins minted in Judea during the praetorship of Pontius Pilate had the image of the Roman Emperor on them. Why is that important? True, to emphasize the universal rule of Rome and Roman life in the empire.

Supposedly a common core of sayings of Jesus Christ.

9) What writing from the Biblical apocrypha is usually credited with the concept that thinking about sin is just as bad as committing the sin? Don't know.

10) According to tradition, what symbol did Constantine I place on his soldiers' shields before the Battle of Milvian Bridge? (Hint...it was NOT a cross) Bet it was the sun, so that those who followed Christ or Sol Invictus could credit their faith belief.

1- Christian Southern Baptist

2- Both

3-Christians believe he was thee son of God and Jews don't.

4- I have no idea

5- Don't know

6- Holy crap, from memory? That's a tall order.

7- True, It was part of the Roman empire

8- What is a q-gospel? The gospel according to 007's arms broker?

9- Don't know

10- Don't know

That's a pretty wild line of questions. Off to read other's replies now.

1) How would you define your religious beliefs? High Church Anglican

2) Is the Bible a historical and/or literal document or should it be taken allegorically looking for overall lessons and messages as opposed to historical events? For guidance, inspiration, allegory, and historical reference

3) Describe the difference according to 1st century CE Jews and Christians between the Son of God and the Son of Man. Jews would have seen him as a temporal coming of a 'David', a Messiah to create a new Jewish empire; whereas, the Christians would see him as a Son of God and Redeemer that would lead to resurrection literally into the next life.

4) The 1st century CE Zealots had their roots to what character from the Maccabeean Revolt? What did that character do that provided their inspiration? The Maccabees were the jihadi equivalent of 1st century BC Judiasm. Mattathias (sp?), a man with no sense of tolerance for beliefs other than his own, would be the example.

5) Who did Jesus have the most in common with between the Zealots, Essenes, Pharisees, and Sadducees? Explain why. The Pharisees: reverence for Jewish cultural life, separatism, and the resurrection.

6) List the order in which scholars believe the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John were written and match each gospel to the depiction of Jesus from the following list: teacher, God, the new Moses, philosopher and theologian. Too tough for me.

7) True or false. Coins minted in Judea during the praetorship of Pontius Pilate had the image of the Roman Emperor on them. Why is that important? True, to emphasize the universal rule of Rome and Roman life in the empire.

Supposedly a common core of sayings of Jesus Christ.

9) What writing from the Biblical apocrypha is usually credited with the concept that thinking about sin is just as bad as committing the sin? Don't know.

10) According to tradition, what symbol did Constantine I place on his soldiers' shields before the Battle of Milvian Bridge? (Hint...it was NOT a cross) Bet it was the sun, so that those who followed Christ or Sol Invictus could credit their faith belief.

Damn Jake....very solid answers. Those are very hard questions. You didn't get all of them right (and as I said for some there are no right answers) but you nailed quite a few on the surface and maybe most of them on in depth discussion. I tip my cap to your knowledge. Impressive

Christian

I believe, parts of both are present in the Bible.

I don't know for certain, but if memory serves me, Sons of God was a term used for more than THE Son of God, and Son of Man was a term used for Christ.

Matthew or Mattatius or something like that revolted against some sort of Paganism being worshiped by other Jews...he was killed and his sons continued the revolt and rose up against the pagan jews/ and or Greeks or something like that....?

I guess I should answer:

I don't know for certain. :))

Essenes.... Jesus lived near them, and they both mocked the Pharisees and Sadducee as not understanding the full meaning of the Word of God... and as being hypocrites.

I think but am not certain, that Mark is the Book they believe was written first, and or some believe there was another common Book/Gospel that most of the gospels came from and I am not certain I know for certain the other part of your question so I will sit back on it......

Yes on coins.
EDIT: Not certain importance you are looking for? Other than trying to tie in Jesus with an actual person recorded in history at the same time period, such as pontius pilot/roman emperor???

Ahhhh, yes, that is what I was talking about above....the missing Gospel that the other Gospels came from...supposedly.

I didn't know it was in the Apocrypha, I thought this was IN THE BIBLE itself.

Don't know, but my guess would be a Fish symbol, perhaps?

CLICK above to expand and see answers.
You are welcomed.

Last edited:

1- Christian Southern Baptist

2- Both

3-Christians believe he was thee son of God and Jews don't.

4- I have no idea

5- Don't know

6- Holy crap, from memory? That's a tall order.

7- It was part of the Roman empire

8- What is a q-gospel? The gospel according to 007's arms broker?

9- Don't know

10- Don't know

That's a pretty wild line of questions. Off to read other's replies now.

Mike, those are extremely tough questions. They are designed to be. I am trying to get a feel for people's theological knowledge (that is their beliefs) and their scriptural knowledge (that is the scriptural evidence that supports their beliefs). Those questions are master's level questions.They are very hard to answer unless you are really solid to the degree of a professional scholar. Your answers are fantastic and helpful. Thank you.

Close to Unitarian Universalist. Secular Gentile who is Christian by faith, but relates to natural terms, Constitutional laws, some Buddhist terms and Christian/Biblical concepts that are Universal.
More Universalist in all approaches. I try to include all people and approaches, and finding/sticking to where we agree so nothing is imposed or coerced, excluded or discriminated against, but conflicts are resolved and points/principles enforced by agreement/consensus.

Both, some people use it historically, others allegorically, yet others not at all.
With those who use it as a scriptural base and authority for fellow believers to check against, and to reach agreement, I use it as a common law where this works. Where it doesn't I equally believe the same spirit of truth, justice and peace can also be established using natural laws/science, Constitutional laws, Buddhism, Islamic teachings, whatever language is shared by that audience.

I don't know all the history literally but understand the main concept spiritually.

I understand some people/groups make a division out of focusing on either Jesus as Divine and God's will or Law/Justice incarnated as religious and church authority, while others focus on Jesus as embodying and teaching Natural laws of the secular gentiles and secular/natural world. Jefferson focused on the natural Jesus, and Jehovah's Witnesses also seem to focus more on Jesus in this sense and not on the connection with God.

If this is the division you mean, I do see it has relevance today with accepting both Jews/Christians/Muslims and other Believers under Scriptural laws and divine authority, and Gentiles (including secular humanists, scientiests, Buddhists, Constitutionalists, some pagan/naturalists) under natural laws.

These should not be divided against each other, where it is understood that Jesus or Justice fulfills both laws.
And unites all people, both the churched people and tribes under scriptural authority and the secular world under civil laws and govt authority, with the same universal spirit of Equal Justice, Restorative Justice, Justice and Peace, etc. that Jesus represents.

In the past I understand people have used the term Son of God to focus on Jesus' divinity and Son of Man to focus on Jesus as a natural man teaching under natural laws. I don't know the whole history literally.

I have not studied this history.
In general I understand the OT has a lot of tribal conflict and genocide because this was before Jesus brought Restorative Justice. The point is to move AWAY from political corruption by greed for power and control that causes abuses of "the letter of the law" and to move TOWARD living by the "spirit of the law"

I understand Jesus as representing Divine Justice. This encompasses all tribes, from believers to secular gentiles. The different tribes and approaches all play different roles.

I know the spirit of Jesus is invoked to rebuke for sake of correction and to bring healing and restore wholeness justice and peace by establishing truth. Some of the Pharisees today are involved in the process of establishing truth organized by tribes, but I am not familiar with the roles of the others.

(With Zealots, one source I ran across compared Zealous and Jealous as coming from similar roots, and that God being a Jealous God was more about being Zealous. If those words are not really related, then that bit is just someone's interpretation.)

My use of the scriptures in Matthew (and some in Mark) do not rely on this, so I have never studied it.
I use the scriptures in Matthew 18:15-20 about redressing and rebuking trespasses in order to restore good faith relations by establishing truth and agreement between neighbors for Justice sake or in Jesus name.

Also I cite the passages on removing beams from our own eyes before helping neighbors to remove splinters,
and forgiving one another our trespasses that allows God's forgiveness to be received (and to correct wrongs).

I am not familiar with the importance of this.
I understand the concept of rendering unto Caesar that which is Caesar's and unto God that which is God's.

I am not familiar with this. In order to share the universal message of the Bible and meaning of Christ Jesus with all people, I explain Jesus means Justice, Retributive Justice is Antichrist while Restorative Justice is Christ Jesus. And the point of receiving Jesus and Holy Spirit is to establish Justice and Peace, by seeking Truth or the Kingdom of God that sets humanity free from strife and separation.

To explain this concept, I usually refer to the scriptures that if you harbor hatred or lust in your heart, then in spirit this is already murder or adultery that kills the spirit and relations.

However, I find it more universal to focus on FORGIVENESS so that people do not compete to show how one person committed more wrongs or worse sins that another. When we FORGIVE then the corrections and restitution are proportional to the wrongs, so this works out for justice sake.

The more we forgive, the greater the reward. Those with harder issues to forgive have more blessings as a result of the forgiveness on that deeper level of sacrifice than those experiencing minor suffering.

I don't see any questions focused on forgiveness which is the main key in the Bible of understanding the gift of Grace.

Why is this left out?

I am not familiar with any of these references.

As for the Cross, the best explanation of what it symbolizes came from a Lutheran Pastor:
the vertical bar represents the relationship between God and Man, with Jesus in the center.
And Grace/Forgiveness/Salvation is freely given, not earned by condition.
Not by who knows more about the Bible, or who has done this or that. It is based on the
"more we forgive then the more we receive," whether gifts of wisdom or insights or healing etc.
this is freely given, we just ask. God respects our free will, so by praying and offering and asking help to forgive this indicates that we freely choose to receive. This relationship is by the spiritual laws.

And the horizontal bar is man's relationship with man as neighbors, also joined in Christ as the center.
This relationship is governed by Natural Laws. So forgiveness may need to be EARNED, and Restitution paid for debts that are not necessarily freely forgiven as with spiritual laws with God.

Forgiveness and correction in Christ still established truth between neighbors to heal and restore relations.
but this process of Justice in real world relations and society may entail paying debts and physical restitution.

Both relations still are centered in Forgiveness in Christ Jesus to Restore Justice.

If you want to ask about the meaning of the Father/Son/HolySpirit, to translate into secular terms
I usually summarize this as universal truth, justice and peace collectively for all humanity.

I Can t Imagine a God... Page 6 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
^ here is my 250 word explanation of Jesus and the Bible in secular terms ^

If I had to summarize the spirit of the laws in the BIBLE I would stick to the
Two Great Commandments and the New Commandment in John 13:34
and explain that these laws fulfill and unite the laws of God and laws of Man
or the Love of God and the Love of Man as one in Christ Jesus.

If I had to explain the process of salvation in secular terms,
I'd summarize it in three steps
First receiving each other as children in the name of Jesus or Justice
Then those who receive such a witness receive Jesus or the Son
And then whoever receives the Son receives the Father
And whoever calls upon the name of the Lord is saved.

So the way I use the Bible does not require a lot of technical historical detailed knowledge.
it is more important to understand the Spirit of the process of establishing
truth justice and peace between people as neighbors in Christ to unite all tribes and nations.

This way of combing over details of the Bible may work for others trying to establish agreement in truth, but for secular gentiles like me I find other ways of communicating are needed for secular audiences, such as using medical science to study and understand spiritual healing the factor of forgiveness or unforgiveness in either destroying or restoring good faith relations and rebuilding community and economy in the real world to physically manifest lasting peace and justice.

Last edited:

Close to Unitarian Universalist. Secular Gentile who is Christian by faith, but relates to natural terms, Constitutional laws, some Buddhist terms and Christian/Biblical concepts that are Universal.
More Universalist in all approaches. I try to include all people and approaches, and finding/sticking to where we agree so nothing is imposed or coerced, excluded or discriminated against, but conflicts are resolved and points/principles enforced by agreement/consensus.

Both, some people use it historically, others allegorically, yet others not at all.
With those who use it as a scriptural base and authority for fellow believers to check against, and to reach agreement, I use it as a common law where this works. Where it doesn't I equally believe the same spirit of truth, justice and peace can also be established using natural laws/science, Constitutional laws, Buddhism, Islamic teachings, whatever language is shared by that audience.

I don't know all the history literally but understand the main concept spiritually.

I understand some people/groups make a division out of focusing on either Jesus as Divine and God's will or Law/Justice incarnated as religious and church authority, while others focus on Jesus as embodying and teaching Natural laws of the secular gentiles and secular/natural world. Jefferson focused on the natural Jesus, and Jehovah's Witnesses also seem to focus more on Jesus in this sense and not on the connection with God.

If this is the division you mean, I do see it has relevance today with accepting both Jews/Christians/Muslims and other Believers under Scriptural laws and divine authority, and Gentiles (including secular humanists, scientiests, Buddhists, Constitutionalists, some pagan/naturalists) under natural laws.

These should not be divided against each other, where it is understood that Jesus or Justice fulfills both laws.
And unites all people, both the churched people and tribes under scriptural authority and the secular world under civil laws and govt authority, with the same universal spirit of Equal Justice, Restorative Justice, Justice and Peace, etc. that Jesus represents.

In the past I understand people have used the term Son of God to focus on Jesus' divinity and Son of Man to focus on Jesus as a natural man teaching under natural laws. I don't know the whole history literally.

I have not studied this history.
In general I understand the OT has a lot of tribal conflict and genocide because this was before Jesus brought Restorative Justice. The point is to move AWAY from political corruption by greed for power and control that causes abuses of "the letter of the law" and to move TOWARD living by the "spirit of the law"

I understand Jesus as representing Divine Justice. This encompasses all tribes, from believers to secular gentiles. The different tribes and approaches all play different roles.

I know the spirit of Jesus is invoked to rebuke for sake of correction and to bring healing and restore wholeness justice and peace by establishing truth. Some of the Pharisees today are involved in the process of establishing truth organized by tribes, but I am not familiar with the roles of the others.

(With Zealots, one source I ran across compared Zealous and Jealous as coming from similar roots, and that God being a Jealous God was more about being Zealous. If those words are not really related, then that bit is just someone's interpretation.)

My use of the scriptures in Matthew (and some in Mark) do not rely on this, so I have never studied it.
I use the scriptures in Matthew 18:15-20 about redressing and rebuking trespasses in order to restore good faith relations by establishing truth and agreement between neighbors for Justice sake or in Jesus name.

Also I cite the passages on removing beams from our own eyes before helping neighbors to remove splinters,
and forgiving one another our trespasses that allows God's forgiveness to be received (and to correct wrongs).

I am not familiar with the importance of this.
I understand the concept of rendering unto Caesar that which is Caesar's and unto God that which is God's.

I am not familiar with this. In order to share the universal message of the Bible and meaning of Christ Jesus with all people, I explain Jesus means Justice, Retributive Justice is Antichrist while Restorative Justice is Christ Jesus. And the point of receiving Jesus and Holy Spirit is to establish Justice and Peace, by seeking Truth or the Kingdom of God that sets humanity free from strife and separation.

To explain this concept, I usually refer to the scriptures that if you harbor hatred or lust in your heart, then in spirit this is already murder or adultery that kills the spirit and relations.

However, I find it more universal to focus on FORGIVENESS so that people do not compete to show how one person committed more wrongs or worse sins that another. When we FORGIVE then the corrections and restitution are proportional to the wrongs, so this works out for justice sake.

The more we forgive, the greater the reward. Those with harder issues to forgive have more blessings as a result of the forgiveness on that deeper level of sacrifice than those experiencing minor suffering.

I don't see any questions focused on forgiveness which is the main key in the Bible of understanding the gift of Grace.

Why is this left out?

I am not familiar with any of these references.

As for the Cross, the best explanation of what it symbolizes came from a Lutheran Pastor:
the vertical bar represents the relationship between God and Man, with Jesus in the center.
And Grace/Forgiveness/Salvation is freely given, not earned by condition.
Not by who knows more about the Bible, or who has done this or that. It is based on the
"more we forgive then the more we receive," whether gifts of wisdom or insights or healing etc.
this is freely given, we just ask. God respects our free will, so by praying and offering and asking help to forgive this indicates that we freely choose to receive. This relationship is by the spiritual laws.

And the horizontal bar is man's relationship with man as neighbors, also joined in Christ as the center.
This relationship is governed by Natural Laws. So forgiveness may need to be EARNED, and Restitution paid for debts that are not necessarily freely forgiven as with spiritual laws with God.

Forgiveness and correction in Christ still established truth between neighbors to heal and restore relations.
but this process of Justice in real world relations and society may entail paying debts and physical restitution.

Both relations still are centered in Forgiveness in Christ Jesus to Restore Justice.

If you want to ask about the meaning of the Father/Son/HolySpirit, to translate into secular terms
I usually summarize this as universal truth, justice and peace collectively for all humanity.

I Can t Imagine a God... Page 6 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
^ here is my 250 word explanation of Jesus and the Bible in secular terms ^

If I had to summarize the spirit of the laws in the BIBLE I would stick to the
Two Great Commandments and the New Commandment in John 13:34
and explain that these laws fulfill and unite the laws of God and laws of Man
or the Love of God and the Love of Man as one in Christ Jesus.

If I had to explain the process of salvation in secular terms,
I'd summarize it in three steps
First receiving each other as children in the name of Jesus or Justice
Then those who receive such a witness receive Jesus or the Son
And then whoever receives the Son receives the Father
And whoever calls upon the name of the Lord is saved.

So the way I use the Bible does not require a lot of technical historical detailed knowledge.
it is more important to understand the Spirit of the process of establishing
truth justice and peace between people as neighbors in Christ to unite all tribes and nations.

This way of combing over details of the Bible may work for others trying to establish agreement in truth, but for secular gentiles like me I find other ways of communicating are needed for secular audiences, such as using medical science to study and understand spiritual healing the factor of forgiveness or unforgiveness in either destroying or restoring good faith relations and rebuilding community and economy in the real world to physically manifest lasting peace and justice.

Emily. That was an extremely valuable and thorough offering. Thank you so much. Your answers are not incorrect so to speak but as I read them I realize that they reflect modern thought and application where my focus was upon ancient thought processes. In that sense my question are a bit unfair unless one happens to be a Biblical historian. It would be a very educational and rewarding discussion to see how ancient perceptions led to modern ones. We could learn much from each other I think

Ok so we are having some good discussion and we are on a separate page so I will list the answer that actually have answers and my opinions where the question is about opinions.

1) How would you define your religious beliefs? Mostly-Christian with a bit of Hindu and Taoism tossed in. Although several pastors and Rabbis have commented that while I am Christian my approach has large Jewish philosophical influences.

2) Is the Bible a historical and/or literal document or should it be taken allegorically looking for overall lessons and messages as opposed to historical events? Allegorical. In my view the Bible is neither historically reliable nor should be taken literally. In my view the focus should be upon the greater lesson. Focusing upon the minutiae is interesting but can lead to misunderstanding and misinterpretation unless you are fully committed to intense study.

3) Describe the difference according to 1st century CE Jews and Christians between the Son of God and the Son of Man. The Son of God, according to ancient Jews, was a human figure who was a wise man who lived a very holy life. He had much to say, great advice, but was simply a man. There could be many Sons of God. The Son of Man was referenced in Daniel 7 and the Revelation as well as the gospels. He was the divine figure that in some stories would come to bring God's good kingdom to Earth. The relevance is that we see it the opposite as the ancients did. We think of the Son of God as a divine figure and the Son of Man as a human figure. In antiquity it was actually the opposite and that makes a big difference when you read the Bible and put those phrases into that context.

4) The 1st century CE Zealots had their roots to what character from the Maccabeean Revolt? What did that character do that provided their inspiration? Jake Starkey nailed this almost on the nose. The character is Mattatheus and he murdered an idolatrous Jew and the representative of king Antiochus IV. He proclaimed that it was his "zeal" for God and the Law of Moses that led him to do this and he inspired a revolution that culminated in the Maccabeean revolt against the Seleucid Greeks. The war lasted 7 years and resulted in the first time the Jews had independence in about 350-450 years (depending on the source). The point was that the Zealots believed that the path to redemption of the Holy Land was through what we could consider terrorism today.

5) Who did Jesus have the most in common with between the Zealots, Essenes, Pharisees, and Sadducees? Explain why. This is a tough one and could go many ways. I personally don't think He had much in common with any of them but if one believes Jesus was an apocalyptic teacher he would be most closely associated with the Essenes. If not, the Pharisees would probably be closest even though He seemed to argue with them the most.

6) List the order in which scholars believe the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John were written and match each gospel to the depiction of Jesus from the following list: teacher, God, the new Moses, philosopher and theologian. According to scholarship Mark was first and Jesus was a teacher. Matthew came next and Jesus was depicted as the new Moses bringing the authority of a new covenant. Luke was VERY closely after Matthew and Jesus was depicted as a philosopher and sage. John came much later and in John Jesus is depicted as God Himself.

7) True or false. Coins minted in Judea during the praetorship of Pontius Pilate had the image of the Roman Emperor on them. Why is that important? Believe it or not it is false. Judea was the only province where coins were minted without the image of the Emperor. They did this to respect the Jews religious aversion to graven images and so Judean coins were minted with agricultural symbols instead. It's important because it brings into question Jesus asking "whose image is upon this coin" at the Temple. According to the archaeological evidence that may have been artistic license as Judean coins had no graven images upon them.

8) What is the hypothetical Q-gospel? The Q-gospel is a theoretical gospel that briefly explains material in Matthew and Luke that is almost word for word in both gospels but is not found in Mark.

9) What writing from the Biblical apocrypha is usually credited with the concept that thinking about sin is just as bad as committing the sin? The Shepherd of Hermas. It's a fascinating read.

10) According to tradition, what symbol did Constantine I place on his soldiers' shields before the Battle of Milvian Bridge? (Hint...it was NOT a cross). It was a chi-rho in Greek letters. A Greek Rho "P" with a chi "x" crossing the stem of the P just below the hook of the P. That is where the P with the x crossing the stem of the P comes from. According to legend at least that is the symbol (or one very close to it) that Constantine had placed on his soldiers' shields before the battle of Milvian Bridge. After that battle Constantine would become Emperor of Rome and make Christianity the state religion of the Roman Empire.

So there you go. Great answers all around

1) How would you define your religious beliefs? (Be as specific as possible: atheist, pagan, Christian Methodist, Christian Southern Baptist, Satanist, etc) Only belief is that man has a spirit.

2) Is the Bible a historical and/or literal document or should it be taken allegorically looking for overall lessons and messages as opposed to historical events? Book of myth for spiritual initiation.

3) Describe the difference according to 1st century CE Jews and Christians between the Son of God and the Son of Man. Early Christians believed in Isu Chrestos.

4) The 1st century CE Zealots had their roots to what character from the Maccabeean Revolt? What did that character do that provided their inspiration? No idea.

5) Who did Jesus have the most in common with between the Zealots, Essenes, Pharisees, and Sadducees? Explain why. Essene, because they are not referenced in N.T. and Jesus life style more reflects Essene beliefs.

6) List the order in which scholars believe the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John were written and match each gospel to the depiction of Jesus from the following list: teacher, God, the new Moses, philosopher and theologian. Mark, Mathew and Luke, John.

7) True or false. Coins minted in Judea during the praetorship of Pontius Pilate had the image of the Roman Emperor on them. Why is that important? True.

8) What is the hypothetical Q-gospel? Do not know.

9) What writing from the Biblical apocrypha is usually credited with the concept that thinking about sin is just as bad as committing the sin? Do not know.

10) According to tradition, what symbol did Constantine I place on his soldiers' shields before the Battle of Milvian Bridge? (Hint...it was NOT a cross) Cross with the "p" cannot recall what it is called.

10) According to tradition, what symbol did Constantine I place on his soldiers' shields before the Battle of Milvian Bridge? (Hint...it was NOT a cross). It was a chi-rho in Greek letters. A Greek Rho "P" with a chi "x" crossing the stem of the P just below the hook of the P. That is where the P with the x crossing the stem of the P comes from. According to legend at least that is the symbol (or one very close to it) that Constantine had placed on his soldiers' shields before the battle of Milvian Bridge. After that battle Constantine would become Emperor of Rome and make Christianity the state religion of the Roman Empire.

So there you go. Great answers all around

Just as an interesting follow up to this, if you were to wear a t-shirt with the P with the x crossed on the stem you are kind of proclaiming yourself a soldier for Jesus. That symbol represents the 'chi-rho' which are the first two letters in the Greek "christos". But just like in modern English the "chr" sound in "Christ" is a dipthong between the "keh" sound of the Greek chi (X) and the "rrr" sound of the Greek rho (P). They sound as one in Greek just as they do in English hence the "chi-rho" (XP) or "chr" sound that have been represented by being merged into one with the X crossing the P. It would never have been written that way in Greek, of course, but the romantic version is that by writing it that way you speak the start of the word "Christos" and thereby speak the word of God. By putting the symbol upon yourself, like the soldiers of Constantine you mark yourself as a soldier for Christ. Well...that's the tradition of Constantine at least. ;)

1) How would you define your religious beliefs? (Be as specific as possible: atheist, pagan, Christian Methodist, Christian Southern Baptist, Satanist, etc) Only belief is that man has a spirit.

2) Is the Bible a historical and/or literal document or should it be taken allegorically looking for overall lessons and messages as opposed to historical events? Book of myth for spiritual initiation.

3) Describe the difference according to 1st century CE Jews and Christians between the Son of God and the Son of Man. Early Christians believed in Isu Chrestos.

4) The 1st century CE Zealots had their roots to what character from the Maccabeean Revolt? What did that character do that provided their inspiration? No idea.

5) Who did Jesus have the most in common with between the Zealots, Essenes, Pharisees, and Sadducees? Explain why. Essene, because they are not referenced in N.T. and Jesus life style more reflects Essene beliefs.

6) List the order in which scholars believe the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John were written and match each gospel to the depiction of Jesus from the following list: teacher, God, the new Moses, philosopher and theologian. Mark, Mathew and Luke, John.

7) True or false. Coins minted in Judea during the praetorship of Pontius Pilate had the image of the Roman Emperor on them. Why is that important? True.

8) What is the hypothetical Q-gospel? Do not know.

9) What writing from the Biblical apocrypha is usually credited with the concept that thinking about sin is just as bad as committing the sin? Do not know.

10) According to tradition, what symbol did Constantine I place on his soldiers' shields before the Battle of Milvian Bridge? (Hint...it was NOT a cross) Cross with the "p" cannot recall what it is called.

Thank you for your contribution Ozman. Some very good input and some good demonstration of knowledge. Especially in regard to question #10...You are the first to get that one

Spock's pon far thing was out of his control. Basicly the Vulcan equivilent of a woman's monthly cycle. Except the Vulcan cycle was every however many years. :)

Seven if memory serves.....pfft...trust me...memory serves. In addition to being an amateur Biblical scholar I am a total Star Trek nerd. LOL

Christian

I believe, parts of both are present in the Bible.

I don't know for certain, but if memory serves me, Sons of God was a term used for more than THE Son of God, and Son of Man was a term used for Christ.

Matthew or Mattatius or something like that revolted against some sort of Paganism being worshiped by other Jews...he was killed and his sons continued the revolt and rose up against the pagan jews/ and or Greeks or something like that....?

I guess I should answer:

I don't know for certain. :))

Essenes.... Jesus lived near them, and they both mocked the Pharisees and Sadducee as not understanding the full meaning of the Word of God... and as being hypocrites.

I think but am not certain, that Mark is the Book they believe was written first, and or some believe there was another common Book/Gospel that most of the gospels came from and I am not certain I know for certain the other part of your question so I will sit back on it......

Yes on coins.
EDIT: Not certain importance you are looking for? Other than trying to tie in Jesus with an actual person recorded in history at the same time period, such as pontius pilot/roman emperor???

Ahhhh, yes, that is what I was talking about above....the missing Gospel that the other Gospels came from...supposedly.

I didn't know it was in the Apocrypha, I thought this was IN THE BIBLE itself.

Don't know, but my guess would be a Fish symbol, perhaps?

CLICK above to expand and see answers.
You are welcomed.

Sorry for the delay in responding, Care4. A big thumbs up for identifying the Q gospel and what was even cooler was that you referenced it before I even asked about it. Thank you so much for your input. I posted the actual answers above. You did well. Very nice. Thanks...you helped my research..

Forum List

Back