What's the best Bible version?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
As a Jew (full disclosure,) the 'best' OT version is an actual Jewish Tanach. No Bible OT should be relied upon imo.

For the most accurate English translation of the original Greek NT texts (there were Hebrew language versions, but they're lost or otherwise unavailable,) much depends on which denomination you belong to. Most Christian denominations have an official Bible version (Catholics and Mormons both use the KJV for example.) Whereas other denominations may use other versions.

"In the 10th century a priest named Aldred wrote an English rendition of the Evangels between the lines of a Latin text he was copying, thus producing the oldest English translation of the New Testament for which evidence exists. Aelfric of Bath, an Anglo Saxon abbot, shortly afterward produced an English translation of the four Evangels.

It was 400 years later that the reformer John Wycliffe translated the first complete English Bible, relying primarily on the Latin Vulgate. The 1382 Wycliffe Bible paved the way for the Protestant Reformation.

Another influential translator was William Tyndale. He was a member of the Catholic order and friend of Martin Luther. In 1525 he published an English New Testament from the Greek, as well as the Book of Jonah from the Hebrew. It was the first English version made directly from the Hebrew and Greek and the first to be printed. His work was consulted in subsequent English translations, including the King James. For his efforts, Tyndale was strangled and burned at the stake, being accused of producing “untrue translations.”"

" No Perfect Translation

Because it is produced by well-meaning but fallible men, no Bible translation is perfect. Only the original manuscripts by the prophets, apostles, and writers were inspired by the Holy Spirit. Languages are not precisely parallel in meaning. Often a translator has to make a judgment call as to which would be a better word to use based on his own competence with the languages and his own background in understanding the Scriptures.

Because the originals are unavailable, many modern translations are based on less than perfect source texts that are themselves born of translator biases. Some translations interpret certain passages according to traditional theological understanding (for instance, “Easter” in Acts 12:4 instead of the proper “Passover”); some are very loose or general in the use of language; others use outdated language (what does the KJV mean in reference to the Kingdom in Luke 16:16 that every man “presses into it”?); while nearly all suffer from the fluid nature of language as old meanings are replaced by new inferences. (Remember when “gay” meant happy and “bad” always denoted something harmful?)"

Tons more about the origins of various popular English Bibles here, invaluable info if accuracy is important to you.

Is There a Best Bible Version

What's the best Bible version?

Nun of the above!

:D

Sorry, couldn't resist the temptation!

Actually, there is even more to the "best Bible" question since there are lots of manuscripts for books in NT that do not agree with each other

But if you are going to become a biblical scholar, maybe you should look up a critical edition of the Bible which highlights some of the different translations for passages.

In other words, there probably is no "best Bible" since no one really knows what is the precise wording for the passages in the Bible

Actually, there is even more to the "best Bible" question since there are lots of manuscripts for books in NT that do not agree with each other

But if you are going to become a biblical scholar, maybe you should look up a critical edition of the Bible which highlights some of the different translations for passages.

In other words, there probably is no "best Bible" since no one really knows what is the precise wording for the passages in the Bible
Yep. The bibles suffer from the same lack of credibility that affects all alleged "holy texts". There's no original manuscript and no way to connect a book written by men with supernatural gawds.

As a Jew (full disclosure,) the 'best' OT version is an actual Jewish Tanach. No Bible OT should be relied upon imo.

For the most accurate English translation of the original Greek NT texts (there were Hebrew language versions, but they're lost or otherwise unavailable,) much depends on which denomination you belong to. Most Christian denominations have an official Bible version (Catholics and Mormons both use the KJV for example.) Whereas other denominations may use other versions.

"In the 10th century a priest named Aldred wrote an English rendition of the Evangels between the lines of a Latin text he was copying, thus producing the oldest English translation of the New Testament for which evidence exists. Aelfric of Bath, an Anglo Saxon abbot, shortly afterward produced an English translation of the four Evangels.

It was 400 years later that the reformer John Wycliffe translated the first complete English Bible, relying primarily on the Latin Vulgate. The 1382 Wycliffe Bible paved the way for the Protestant Reformation.

Another influential translator was William Tyndale. He was a member of the Catholic order and friend of Martin Luther. In 1525 he published an English New Testament from the Greek, as well as the Book of Jonah from the Hebrew. It was the first English version made directly from the Hebrew and Greek and the first to be printed. His work was consulted in subsequent English translations, including the King James. For his efforts, Tyndale was strangled and burned at the stake, being accused of producing “untrue translations.”"

" No Perfect Translation

Because it is produced by well-meaning but fallible men, no Bible translation is perfect. Only the original manuscripts by the prophets, apostles, and writers were inspired by the Holy Spirit. Languages are not precisely parallel in meaning. Often a translator has to make a judgment call as to which would be a better word to use based on his own competence with the languages and his own background in understanding the Scriptures.

Because the originals are unavailable, many modern translations are based on less than perfect source texts that are themselves born of translator biases. Some translations interpret certain passages according to traditional theological understanding (for instance, “Easter” in Acts 12:4 instead of the proper “Passover”); some are very loose or general in the use of language; others use outdated language (what does the KJV mean in reference to the Kingdom in Luke 16:16 that every man “presses into it”?); while nearly all suffer from the fluid nature of language as old meanings are replaced by new inferences. (Remember when “gay” meant happy and “bad” always denoted something harmful?)"

Tons more about the origins of various popular English Bibles here, invaluable info if accuracy is important to you.

Are you saying that the Septuagint from the original Greek that I have is wrong?

" No Perfect Translation

Are you saying that the Septuagint from the original Greek that I have is wrong?

Septuagint IS Greek. 'Original Greek' is redundant. But not being in Hebrew it is as a result going to have errors since no language translates perfectly into any other. Plus if you're reading one in English you're now reading a translation f a translation. More times you translate something less accurate it becomes.

Plus since such texts are used by non-Jews you have to ask what the point is. May as well claim you need the Qur'an too, plus the Veddic texts of Buddhism and whatever the Hindu ones are. It's a completely different religion and mutually exclusive to Christianity. A Jewish holy text has no more business inside a Christian holy text than a Qur'an does.

Wanna read an actual Jewish Tanach go to an actual Jewish website like chabad.org has a good one (though they upgraded their site and now it's kinda clunky and slow imo.)

The Complete Tanach with Rashi s Commentary - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible

Hey Delta---ask that same question about the Quran!!

Islam had the same problems with its text, but they found a simple, although ham-fisted and very un-scholarly, solution to it.

The Gideon's pocket-sized one, that has only NT Psalms and Proverbs

hehe ;)

It depends on the point I am trying to make. "Elder" English sounds more authoritative and modern English is more concise.

I was reading the Bible written in Hungarian language. In my opinion, the important thing is (to read anything) to get this useful information and with it you can to progression in life. Possible to say in other ways the same message, (more and more).

An example of the most banal episode.
I guess everyone understands, what it means apple and snake symbol in the Bible.

Well this is a bit of a tricky question. I would argue that the "best" version of the NT is probably Codex Vaticanus or Codex Sinaiticus but you have to be able to read Greek to understand them and they have some problems of their own. Greek and Hebrew Interlinear Bibles can be very good but it depends on what manuscripts they are translating and, as with all Bibles, how faithful the translator is to the text.

I'm not sure there is a "best" Bible in English. I can tell you how I go about it if that helps at all. I don't rely on a single Bible. When I study I generally read the same section from multiple sources. I usually use the KJV for the Byzantine line, the NIV for the Alexandrian line, a Greek Interlinear, and an Amplified Bible. Then I read an absolute shitload of commentaries from as many different time frames and backgrounds (scholarly & non-scholarly) as I can find. That takes a LOT of time, but I have found it pays off...for me at least.

Well this is a bit of a tricky question. I would argue that the "best" version of the NT is probably Codex Vaticanus or Codex Sinaiticus but you have to be able to read Greek to understand them and they have some problems of their own. Greek and Hebrew Interlinear Bibles can be very good but it depends on what manuscripts they are translating and, as with all Bibles, how faithful the translator is to the text.

I'm not sure there is a "best" Bible in English. I can tell you how I go about it if that helps at all. I don't rely on a single Bible. When I study I generally read the same section from multiple sources. I usually use the KJV for the Byzantine line, the NIV for the Alexandrian line, a Greek Interlinear, and an Amplified Bible. Then I read an absolute shitload of commentaries from as many different time frames and backgrounds (scholarly & non-scholarly) as I can find. That takes a LOT of time, but I have found it pays off...for me at least.

If the bible is 100% accurate because it is inspired of God, no matter who might have written all the different books, or when they might have been written, why are there so many differing versions ?

If the bible is 100% accurate because it is inspired of God, no matter who might have written all the different books, or when they might have been written, why are there so many differing versions ?

I never said it was. You have me confused with Koshergrl.

Believe me. I would never confuse anybody with Koshergirl. I don't claim to know all your previous posts, but from your above statement, I thought it might be worthwhile to ask the question.

Believe me. I would never confuse anybody with Koshergirl. I don't claim to know all your previous posts, but from your above statement, I thought it might be worthwhile to ask the question.

The reason why I use multiple sources is because I recognize that there are thousands of different manuscripts and all of them are different. The vast majority of those differences are completely irrelevant, but sometimes they are very relevant. If the Bible was the inspired word of God He sure didn't put a lot of effort into preserving it in its original form. Thus, what comes to us now is more accurately the word of man. Hence, by reading multiple versions one can identify similarities and/or aberrations. It still doesn't get back to the originals (which will probably never be found and hence we will probably never know what they said), but it's better than just grabbing one version and accepting it blindly.

Forum List

Back