$99.75 for a t-shirt???????

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
While entering Laguardia Airport they took my lighter away from me as you are no longer allowed to fly with lighters. So my first day in Myrtle Beach I go to a t-shirt/novelty store to get a new bic lighter. While browsing I was approached and they threw the sales pitch at me to buy a t-shirt. "The t-shirts are free, you just pay for the decal". Without asking for price of course, I select a bike week decal to commemorate my vacation during this event. She then talks me into getting the same decal in a smaller version on the front of the shirt. Then the guy who pressed the decals on brought me another shirt with a glossy finish and talked me into getting that over my decals as well. I then pick out 2 bic lighters and head to the register. I laughed at first when I saw the price on the display just figuring that it was an error, but laughed even harder when he said it wasn't. EVERY t-shirt in this store was priced between $8-12, yet they expected me to pay 100 bucks for mine. They said it was now custom made for me and that they can't resell it. I laughed again and told him I no longer wanted it. After a minor argument, he stated he would need to call the police to file an incident report to document the events. He then said his boss would file in civil court and I would need to return from wherever I'm from to defend myself. I had 3 choices: 1) Wait for police 2) kick the shit out of him 3) Pay for the shirt and chalk it up as a loss and enjoy the rest of my time.

I chose #3. Kicking his ass would have put me in jail and waiting for the police wouldn't accomplish anything other than me being forced to return. Maybe they wouldn't have filed but I figured I wouldn't call their bluff. I paid for my items, told him to fuck off and hoped his entire family died a violent death, and left as a miserable bastard.

Here's what I paid $99.75 for

http://www.usmessageboard.com/mb/1.jpg

http://www.usmessageboard.com/mb/2.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: Joz
jimnyc said:
While entering Laguardia Airport they took my lighter away from me as you are no longer allowed to fly with lighters. So my first day in Myrtle Beach I go to a t-shirt/novelty store to get a new bic lighter. While browsing I was approached and they threw the sales pitch at me to buy a t-shirt. "The t-shirts are free, you just pay for the decal". Without asking for price of course, I select a bike week decal to commemorate my vacation during this event. She then talks me into getting the same decal in a smaller version on the front of the shirt. Then the guy who pressed the decals on brought me another shirt with a glossy finish and talked me into getting that over my decals as well. I then pick out 2 bic lighters and head to the register. I laughed at first when I saw the price on the display just figuring that it was an error, but laughed even harder when he said it wasn't. EVERY t-shirt in this store was priced between $8-12, yet they expected me to pay 100 bucks for mine. They said it was now custom made for me and that they can't resell it. I laughed again and told him I no longer wanted it. After a minor argument, he stated he would need to call the police to file an incident report to document the events. He then said his boss would file in civil court and I would need to return from wherever I'm from to defend myself. I had 3 choices: 1) Wait for police 2) kick the shit out of him 3) Pay for the shirt and chalk it up as a loss and enjoy the rest of my time.

I chose #3. Kicking his ass would have put me in jail and waiting for the police wouldn't accomplish anything other than me being forced to return. Maybe they wouldn't have filed but I figured I wouldn't call their bluff. I paid for my items, told him to fuck off and hoped his entire family died a violent death, and left as a miserable bastard.

Here's what I paid $99.75 for

http://www.usmessageboard.com/mb/1.jpg

http://www.usmessageboard.com/mb/2.jpg

So when you planning on going back to kick his ass? :teeth:

damn you got fuck, and im betting they didnt give you a reach around!!!
i would have run. they wouldnt have found you :laugh:

-=d=- said:
I think he was bluffing....I would have waited for the cops...easy for me to say, though. :(
He was bluffing alright..$100 bluff.
I'd have walked without the shirt or bics..What can they do? By the time the cops got there I'd be back at my hotel..On the other hand I would have ask the price ahead of time.

You need to contact the local Chamber and the BBB. If this place is doing that to you, imagine how many others are getting screwed too.

The Chamber would love to know about this. Tell them it puts a bad name on their city, how terrible would it be for the organizers of Bike Week there to find out about how the local businesses are screwing the participants - that maybe they will have to find another city who will treat their people right, etc....

The BBB might take the complaint and actually be able to get some or all of the money back for you too. The T-shirt shop doesn't want to be on the BBB's "bad list."

The Chamber looks at the money Bike Week comes in. They aren't going to let some little T-Shirt shop ruin that for them.

I would have called the bluff. Let them call the cops. The whole you "have to come back" is wrong as well. They couldn't go anywhere but small claims court and you could have used a proxy.

Not only that but the "custom made" was crap. They couldn't sell it to anybody else because they charged $100 for the damned thing, not because it was "custom made". This was a clear tourist trap, they wouldn't have taken it to court because the judge would have thrown the case out saying that the business practice was not in "good faith".

Myrtle Beach bike week has historically been a ripoff, in my opinion. There have been boycotts in the past, and I am sure, again in the future....

One recent situation occurred when a biker was run over, and KILLED by an off duty cop...the cop got off....somehow the locals didn't think the life of the biker was worth much, and the jury let the cop free.

Yeah, I don't think Myrtle is on my list of places to go (for motorcycling) anymore.

Sorry to hear about your troubles....you shoulda walked....there was no contract between the 2 of you....and he couldn't physically restrain you in his shop, either.

Live and learn, right?

I do like the ART, though!

It is a nice shirt, though. Maybe you could've secured a loan to get a pair of pants to go with it! :dev3:

Dan said:
It is a nice shirt, though. Maybe you could've secured a loan to get a pair of pants to go with it! :dev3:

Oh man..I didn't think about that.

You didn't use your CREDIT CARD did you?

You know....they are doubling your payments?

GotZoom said:
Oh man..I didn't think about that.

You didn't use your CREDIT CARD did you?

You know....they are doubling your payments?

But you could reverse the charge and send them back their sorry shirt. Tell them they can sell it to some other sucker.

Jimmy choose the asskicking every time, after you were done you could've taken the shirt and left. With all the people in M.B. you could've just melted away, instead you took it from behind. COME ON NOW BRO! :nine:

I wasn't there, Jim, but I would have just walked out and left the merchandise behind. Screw them if they want to try some type of civil action - let them figure out who you are, where you went after you left their store, etc.

OCA said:
Jimmy choose the asskicking every time, after you were done you could've taken the shirt and left. With all the people in M.B. you could've just melted away, instead you took it from behind. COME ON NOW BRO! :nine:
:laugh: Man we gotta have a beer someday...I'll arrange for our bail. :) :beer:

Forum List

Back