76ers and Philly police announce guns-for-tickets program

The ClayTaurus said:
That's nice in theory, but you wouldn't have a city, you'd have a war zone. I guess it might benefit anyone who survived for the first couple of years. Maybe if you started a new city with no people in it... but for a place as dysfunctional as it already is, I don't think you can count on the population to responsibly handle being flooded with guns.

I absolutely disagree. Yes, you may have increased incidents of criminals being shot while committing crimes. But a city of responsible firearms owners will eventualy be a city with low, low crime, because what criminal is going to try and mug, burglarize, rape, etc. when their potential victim may be armed?

gop_jeff said:
I absolutely disagree. Yes, you may have increased incidents of criminals being shot while committing crimes. But a city of responsible firearms owners will eventualy be a city with low, low crime, because what criminal is going to try and mug, burglarize, rape, etc. when their potential victim may be armed?
A criminal who already has a gun. I fear you assuming that everyone will be a responsible gun owner is a bit naive... I'm not for banning guns, but I don't think the solution to a city overrun by crime, especially gun violence, is flooding it with even more guns. At least not without expecting a lot of people to die during the transition.

The ClayTaurus said:
A criminal who already has a gun. I fear you assuming that everyone will be a responsible gun owner is a bit naive... I'm not for banning guns, but I don't think the solution to a city overrun by crime, especially gun violence, is flooding it with even more guns. At least not without expecting a lot of people to die during the transition.

Maybe 'flooding the city with guns' is a bit overboard, but I certainly think the police should be encouraging gun ownership, the city council should make it easier to buy firearms and get CCPs, etc. etc.

gop_jeff said:
Maybe 'flooding the city with guns' is a bit overboard, but I certainly think the police should be encouraging gun ownership, the city council should make it easier to buy firearms and get CCPs, etc. etc.
They should give tickets for people who legally own a gun and show up to take a gun responsibility course (and pass, of course).

Forum List

Back