70th anniversary of VE Day

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
VE70-820x1024.jpg

From May 7th to May 9th, 1945, 70 years ago, the capitulation of Nazi Germany in WWII was complete.

On May 7th, the Germans surrendered unconditionally to the USA, Britian and France at Reims, France.

On May 9th, the Germans surrendered AGAIN, unconditionally, to all of the allied powers, including Russia, in Berlin.

There is a reason why there were two surrenders.

From May 7th through May 9th, 2015 in Germany, there have been lots of solemn ceremonies to celebrate the liberation of the Germans from Nazi tyranny. As a matter of fact, I was part of one such ceremony yesterday late in the afternoon. It was quite moving.

Considering the average lifespan of most people and the fact that the majority of WWII vets have since passed on, this 70th anniversary is probably the last "decade" anniversary with veterans from that war still living.

Most soldiers who fought in that terrible war were between 18-30 years old, so assuming a birthdate of 1925, in 2025, which will be the 80th anniversary of VE Day, those vets who are still alive would probably be around 100 years old.

So, for this reason I think that the 70th anniversary is especially meaningful to many people.

I did a very large thread about this one year ago, chock full of pictures and video:

VE day 69 years ago this week. US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In solemn memory of those who fought -and died- in WWII.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back