70% of workers are likely to quit at current $7.25 federal minimum wage in 'brutal' turnover cycle

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Another dumb fuck opinion piece, News flash needle dicks.....

1. Who makes minimum wage and stays at minimum wage for months or years at end?

2. (THE MOST IMPORTANT) 70% OF WORKERS WILL QUIT WHAT EVER MINIMUM WAGE PAYS

YOU DUMB MOTHER FUCKERS.

70% of workers quit at current $7.25 federal minimum wage in 'brutal' turnover cycle

70% of workers are likely to quit at current $7.25 federal minimum wage in 'brutal' turnover cycle
  • A survey of tens of thousands of small businesses reveals that the employee turnover rate is more than double the national average when employees are paid the federal minimum wage of $7.25/hour.
  • With a nationwide movement to raise the minimum wage to $15/hour, the research shows that turnover rates would decline as a result, though with a diminishing impact once wages pass $15.
Matthew Castillon, data scientist at Gusto
Published 3 Hours Ago Updated
Fast-food workers and supporters fight to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour.
For the more than 6 million small businesses nationwide, employee turnover can be a brutal expense.

In fact, nearly 1 in 3 (32%) employees will no longer be at their current employer one year from now. For a team of 20, where each person earns $50,000, that turnover rate can cost a business more than $100,000 a year. That's why reducing turnover is essential for keeping costs down as it relates to hiring, onboarding and training employees.

In a recent analysis of why employees leave small businesses, the research team at payroll, HR and benefits company Gusto found a strong correlation between hourly wage thresholds and the rate of turnover.

According to the data from tens of thousands of small business employers who work with Gusto across the U.S., employees earning $7.25/hour (the current federal minimum wage) have a 70% chance of leaving within a year, more than double the average turnover rate of 32%.

This finding comes alongside the recent passage of the Raise the Wage Act in the U.S. House of Representatives. The bill proposes a gradual increase to the federal minimum wage from $7.25/hour to $15/hour by 2025. The Senate hasn't considered the bill at this point, yetnearly all 2020 Democratic presidential candidates support the legislation.

The truly sad part is that someone paid to find out that there is a strong correlation between hourly wage thresholds and the rate of turnover....something any of us could have told them for free.

The truly sad part is that someone paid to find out that there is a strong correlation between hourly wage thresholds and the rate of turnover....something any of us could have told them for free.

And why would anyone stay in a minimum wage job if they don't have to?

Thank you Captain Obvious. I am glad you got the point!

Speaking of captain obvious...I am so amazed that CNBC would post this, what are they after propaganda?

You could raise minimum wage up to $100 bucks and hour an 70% of people would quit..

Its damn minimum wage... the bottom...

Speaking of captain obvious...I am so amazed that CNBC would post this, what are they after propaganda?

You could raise minimum wage up to $100 bucks and hour an 70% of people would quit..

Its damn minimum wage... the bottom...

Yeah just crazy they would push a higher minimum wage...who ever saw that coming! :113::21:

Maybe some the USMB right wingers can form a brigade to run around explaining to these cretins it's their duty to work for 25 cents an hour so dividends for stockholders can grow n stuff, and how it's employers' God given right to have the govt. make sure they get labor as cheap as whatever they feel like paying for it, even free; just call them 'interns'.

I think you're missing the point. People don't stay in a minimum wage job when they get a better one. Now do you see it?

I think you're missing the point. People don't stay in a minimum wage job when they get a better one. Now do you see it?

That was my point moron, that is why it is so funny someone did a study to find that out....most of us already knew it, including even you.

That was my point moron, that is why it is so funny someone did a study to find that out....most of us already knew it, including even you.
There was a time that workers wages were a lot closer. Our employee system is fragmented. Employees are overcompensated and the system will reset. The system fears a stock market crash badly. Even with a massive social government system.

They should try construction. People jump companies on the same job site for an extra fifty cents. Guys wearing one companies colors show up the next day in different shirts. That’s how things work.

Maybe some the USMB right wingers can form a brigade to run around explaining to these cretins it's their duty to work for 25 cents an hour so dividends for stockholders can grow n stuff, and how it's employers' God given right to have the govt. make sure they get labor as cheap as whatever they feel like paying for it, even free; just call them 'interns'.

Another needle dick, look at the job boards, show me where manufacturing pays the federal minimum wage in red states? Hell you can even work at McDonald's in Greenville South Carolina @ $12 bucks an hour to start.

Btw just reading another asinine blog

An $18.42 Minimum Wage? (graph)

The purchasing power of the minimum wage peaked in the late 1960s at $9.54 an hour in 2014 dollars. That is over two dollars above the current level of $7.25 an hour. While raising the minimum wage to $9.54 would provide a large improvement in living standards for millions of workers who are currently paid at or near the minimum wage, it is worth asking a slightly different question: what if the minimum wage had kept in step with productivity growth over the last 44 years? In other words, rather than just keeping purchasing power constant at the 1968 level, suppose that our lowest paid workers shared evenly in the economic growth over the intervening years.

This should not seem like a far-fetched idea.

Of course it's a far fetched idea you ever hear of companies, I dont know investing in computers you stupid fucks, worker productivity went up because the companies invested in technology.... god damn the workers didn't all of a sudden work harder compared to a worker in the 1880s.

Another dumb fuck opinion piece, News flash needle dicks.....

1. Who makes minimum wage and stays at minimum wage for months or years at end?

2. (THE MOST IMPORTANT) 70% OF WORKERS WILL QUIT WHAT EVER MINIMUM WAGE PAYS

YOU DUMB MOTHER FUCKERS.

70% of workers quit at current $7.25 federal minimum wage in 'brutal' turnover cycle

• A survey of tens of thousands of small businesses reveals that the employee turnover rate is more than double the national average when employees are paid the federal minimum wage of $7.25/hour.
  • With a nationwide movement to raise the minimum wage to $15/hour, the research shows that turnover rates would decline as a result, though with a diminishing impact once wages pass $15.
Matthew Castillon, data scientist at Gusto
Published 3 Hours Ago Updated
Fast-food workers and supporters fight to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour.
For the more than 6 million small businesses nationwide, employee turnover can be a brutal expense.

In fact, nearly 1 in 3 (32%) employees will no longer be at their current employer one year from now. For a team of 20, where each person earns $50,000, that turnover rate can cost a business more than $100,000 a year. That's why reducing turnover is essential for keeping costs down as it relates to hiring, onboarding and training employees.

In a recent analysis of why employees leave small businesses, the research team at payroll, HR and benefits company Gusto found a strong correlation between hourly wage thresholds and the rate of turnover.

According to the data from tens of thousands of small business employers who work with Gusto across the U.S., employees earning $7.25/hour (the current federal minimum wage) have a 70% chance of leaving within a year, more than double the average turnover rate of 32%.

This finding comes alongside the recent passage of the Raise the Wage Act in the U.S. House of Representatives. The bill proposes a gradual increase to the federal minimum wage from $7.25/hour to $15/hour by 2025. The Senate hasn't considered the bill at this point, yetnearly all 2020 Democratic presidential candidates support the legislation.

Characteristics of minimum wage workers, 2018

In 2018, 81.9 million workers age 16 and older in the United States were paid at hourly rates, representing 58.5 percent of all wage and salary workers. Among those paid by the hour, 434,000 workers earned exactly the prevailing federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. About 1.3 million had wages below the federal minimum. Together, these 1.7 million workers with wages at or below the federal minimum made up 2.1 percent of all hourly paid workers.

The percentage of hourly paid workers earning the prevailing federal minimum wage or less edged down from 2.3 percent in 2017 to 2.1 percent in 2018. This remains well below the percentage of 13.4 recorded in 1979, when data were first collected on a regular basis. (See table 10.)

https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/minimum-wage/2018/pdf/home.pdf

I think we'll somehow survive.

Today's young workers are the hardest working, most dedicated ever. Imagine all the wealth they create for their companies. Unreal. They surely work incredibly hard for low wages.

$7.25 seems fine to me for MINIMUM WAGE------a kid earning that much
can get thru a state university and even pay for room and board---on or off campus
in a state University-----If the kid is a spoiled piece of crap he can take loans
for his cell phones and state of the art gaming crap. (PS ---a 20 hour work week
for kids is ok-----I did it a 1.25 minimum wage) Life for a single mother who
gets no help at all ------would be arduous

At 7.25 employers don't expect much productivity if any at all. So people don't take those jobs seriously at all. They walk away whenever they want...as it should be.

As usual, libtards can't (or won't) distinguish between association and causation. The only jobs that pay minimum wage are entry level and temporary positions. Of course they have a higher turnover rate than permanent jobs. Duh!

Forum List

Back