7-Year Old Beaten At School For Father's Pro-Family Stance

acludem said:
First off, this is a cleary biased source of this story. Second, it sounds more like this kid is a victim of simply bullying. Most first-graders don't understand the debate about homosexuality. I'm sorry the kid got beat up, and the school should do something about it, but to try to politicize this is ridiculous.

acludem

Kids don't have to understand what they are doing to act on something they are taught to believe.

This is basically a reverse "hate crime". The kids hear their parents talk, and all they hear is "they are different", "they are wrong", "they are bad".

If it were a kid being raised be a gay couple, you'd be the first one on here screaming about civil rights and prejudice and how it was wrong. If it were a black kid beaten up by white kids, you'd be the first one screaming racism.

This, on the other hand, doesn't help your agenda whatsoever. So, let the kid get the shit beat out of him, and you and jason will find some way to blame the kid. How loving, caring, and open minded of you.

Nice. Real nice.

Mr.Conley said:
I'm with Mr. P on this, I don't think 1st graders are going to beat up a kid because of what his dad said. Their too young.

See above.

Well, some of it anyway.

I don't think it's beyond reason that did exactly that. There's also the possibility that it started out as one or two that jumped him and they others joined in just because it was happening.

No, it's not beyond today's seven year old at all.

no1 and jimmy are right. I am sure none of the parents told their kids to beat up the other kid. But all they have to hear is their parents talking about how this one dad is causing all this trouble; brought a Federal lawsuit, etc.

From the article:

"Families attend an anti-David Parker demonstration. The topic of Parker's beliefs has become so widespread among the students that Jacob says he overheard his fellow classmates ruminating that perhaps their current principle—who has resigned her position to take up a job elsewhere—was leaving the job because of Jacob’s father. Members of the community itself have organized public demonstrations specifically against Parker, in which their children have taken part. One of these demonstrations is pictured on the right and below. (photos courtesy of MassResistance.com) While prominently displayed in the student library are the back issues of the Lexington Minuteman that specifically deal with Parker’s case, for the children to read."

Kids and their parents demonstrated in front of the school.

You can't tell me the kids didn't know what was going on and didn't hear their parents talking about it.

GotZoom said:
no1 and jimmy are right. I am sure none of the parents told their kids to beat up the other kid. But all they have to hear is their parents talking about how this one dad is causing all this trouble; brought a Federal lawsuit, etc.

From the article:

"Families attend an anti-David Parker demonstration. The topic of Parker's beliefs has become so widespread among the students that Jacob says he overheard his fellow classmates ruminating that perhaps their current principle—who has resigned her position to take up a job elsewhere—was leaving the job because of Jacob’s father. Members of the community itself have organized public demonstrations specifically against Parker, in which their children have taken part. One of these demonstrations is pictured on the right and below. (photos courtesy of MassResistance.com) While prominently displayed in the student library are the back issues of the Lexington Minuteman that specifically deal with Parker’s case, for the children to read."

Kids and their parents demonstrated in front of the school.

You can't tell me the kids didn't know what was going on and didn't hear their parents talking about it.

Of course they know. If parents are this riled up, their kids can't help but know that something bad is happening and it really is making my parents upset/mad. It's a small step from there to the schoolyard gang-a-thon.

How many mistakes were made here? To the best of my reckoning, every single adult involved has made a hash of this:

1. the school, by first 'teaching' controversial curriculum without parental permission.

2. the father, by trying to do a 'stand in' resulting in arrest. How much easier and less disruptive to have gone to first the superintendent, then the school board, then a lawyer?

3. the parents that held 'meetings' generating so much backlash talk that riled up the kids.

IMO, the school should be required to gain signatures for young children's participation in the 'family correctness' discussions. If a parent refuses, the child should be given other work, in another location.

The district should come down hard on the bullying problem, regardless of the victim's demeanor or parents beliefs. There should be serious suspensions given.

Excerpts from another report:

-----

School authorities told the Parkers that from their investigation they have determined that the beating was indeed planned and premeditated.

Safe schools? Tolerance? Diversity?

None of the kids involved were suspended from school. Instead, from what we are told, a "diversity" training session of sorts was held in the first-grade class.

What if it had been a "gay" child who had been beaten, or even taunted? Across Massachusetts children are routinely suspended from school for even using the term "gay" in a less than positive fashion.

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story.aspx?bc98e2e1-a491-4885-af48-024fe326ea9f

-----

Looks like the 7-year olds planned to attack this kid.

And no punishment? I guess the next time a black (or white) kid gets beaten up by a group of white (or black) kids, they won't get punished either.

If this happened where there were screams of "homo" or "n@%#*r" ... well, we all know what would happen.

I've been able to find absolutly no legitimate news source for this story. The two sources posted here are both extremely biased and unreliable. Not even Fox News has anything about this. There are plenty of stories from reliable sources about the original spat between Mr. Parker and this school district over Mr. Parker's issues with homosexuality. Mr. Parker has been banned from school property due to his refusal to leave the school until it agreed to notify him when "homosexual" curriculum would be taught. The book in question is called "Who's in the Family" which talks about different family structures, including one in which their are two fathers. I wonder if Mr. Parker would object to his son watching the sitcom "Full House" which featured a household headed by three men, the father, the uncle, and the father's best friend. The book makes no mention of homosexuality, just that the house is headed by two men. I don't understand why Mr. Parker is taking so much umbrage at this.

As for his kid getting beat up, I can find no legitimate, unbiased source of information that includes a the school's side of the story. It is therefore impossible to give an informed opinion on that side of it.

acludem:boohoo:

acludem said:
I've been able to find absolutly no legitimate news source for this story. The two sources posted here are both extremely biased and unreliable. Not even Fox News has anything about this. There are plenty of stories from reliable sources about the original spat between Mr. Parker and this school district over Mr. Parker's issues with homosexuality. Mr. Parker has been banned from school property due to his refusal to leave the school until it agreed to notify him when "homosexual" curriculum would be taught. The book in question is called "Who's in the Family" which talks about different family structures, including one in which their are two fathers. I wonder if Mr. Parker would object to his son watching the sitcom "Full House" which featured a household headed by three men, the father, the uncle, and the father's best friend. The book makes no mention of homosexuality, just that the house is headed by two men. I don't understand why Mr. Parker is taking so much umbrage at this.

As for his kid getting beat up, I can find no legitimate, unbiased source of information that includes a the school's side of the story. It is therefore impossible to give an informed opinion on that side of it.

Your reply makes no sense. What would you consider an unbiased news source for the story about the mans son being beaten up by his little classmates?

Your comparison to Full House also makes no sense. Were the two men in this book described as brothers? Uncles? Best friends? How did this book, for first graders, describe these two men? What was the title of this book? Gay rights advocates want Heather has Two Mommies read to first graders. I'm sure there is no mention of homosexuality or sex in that book either, but can you say that Heather has Two Mommies isn't about a couple of Lesbians? Oh Puhleeeeze don't.

If this kid was dragged behind a building and pummelled because hs "parents" were gay it would make the news and there would be gay rights rallies all over the place. But you'd rather say it wasn't a credible story because you can't find an article that quotes the schools side of the story? Gag me.

acludem said:

I hadn't thought to check on the story. Interestingly enough, I found that the story has been around for at least two years. At times, the child is described as a kindergartner, at other times as a 5, 6 or 7 year old. Seems the child's age keeps increasing depending on the year the story is being circulated.

Maybe it'll end up on snopes. ;)

Interesting.

Paul B. Ash, Ph.D.,
Superintendent of Schools
June 16, 2006

Some of you may be aware that the press has received a news release related to a playground incident at Estabrook. The Estabrook principal has investigated the issue over the past two days, talking to the adults and children involved. The following are the facts as she understands them.
On May 17, several first graders were involved in a disagreement over who would sit where in the cafeteria. As a result, upon going outside one child took another by the hand and brought him to a third student in an area of the playground that is somewhat difficult for the adults to see. (The student who was hit said that he went willingly.) All children who saw agreed that the third student then hit the student who had been brought to him two to four times in the chest/abdomen (children's accounts vary) and he fell to his knees. The student who was hit says he was hit when down; the other children say he wasn't. One child reports that one student held the arm of the student who was hit; however, the child who was hit and the other children did not report this. The children involved named five children who were nearby watching but not directly involved. Several other students were close enough to see a cluster of students but not close enough to see what was happening. The student who did the hitting suggested that others also hit, but none of them did so. Based on the children's accounts, this all may have happened in under a minute. The aide on duty saw a group of children gathering, and as she walked toward them was approached by a child that said someone was being bullied. When the aide inquired what was going on, the child who was hit identified one student who hit him, and the other children agreed. The child who was hit said he was not hurt and did not want to go to the nurse. He reported that his feelings were hurt, because the child who hit him was his friend.
The child who did the hitting was sent to the assistant principal's office and while talking with her acknowledged his behavior. As a result, he filled out a "think sheet," to reflect on his behavior and choices, missed recess on two days, and wrote an apology. In addition, the classroom teacher called both sets of parents and a class discussion was held about not hitting and speaking up when there is a problem on the playground. The teacher indicated that both parents took the matter seriously and seemed satisfied with the outcome. Following the incident the boys were observed arm in arm at school and subsequently the child who was hit went to the house of the child who hit him for a play date.
On May 31, the parents of the child hit casually inquired of the assistant principal as to the consequence given to the other child, and they were told that the child's parents were informed and a consequence given. Other than this brief interaction, between the time of the phone call by the teacher to the parents on May 17 until June 14, there were no complaints of injury or dissatisfaction with the process to the teacher, nurse, or the administrators. On June 14, school administration received a call from a local paper stating that they had received a press release that a child had been assaulted at Estabrook.
In this case, we followed all of our usual procedures and worked with both sets of parents to resolve this issue. We are surprised that it has resurfaced in a press release issued by a group calling itself Mass Resistance without any prior contact with the school. The press release states that the incident was "fueled and incited by adults (and yes, school officials)." We have found nothing in our investigation that would support this allegation in any way. Nonetheless, in the interest of an open and thorough review of the incident, the matter has been referred by the superintendent to the Lexington police, District Attorney's office, and the Department of Social Services for independent investigation.
At Estabrook, playground safety and student behavior are school improvement goals each year. The school, like all of the schools in Lexington, works hard to establish behavioral expectations, teach students social skills, and provide strong supervision on the playground. In the seven years that Joni Jay has been principal, we have more than doubled the adults watching students on the playground and our coverage ratio at Estabrook is at or above all other Lexington elementary schools. We have separated older and younger students and have fewer students on the playground at one time. We have trained and hired skillful aides who stay actively involved with children, equipped with walkie-talkies and actively walking around identifying potential problems and working through them with students. The Open Circle program, adopted this year, has provided students with skills to help them resolve problems verbally. Administrators discuss with children the reasons for what happened, the consequences, and future alternatives every time there is a problem. We involve parents and teachers when a child has broken school rules, and if the nurse treats a child due to a playground incident. Each incident is documented, and referrals are made to the counselor and other support personnel when appropriate. As a result of the efforts of staff and parents working together, physical altercations on the playground have been reduced significantly.
A major goal of the Lexington Public School system is both to help all children feel safe as well as to help the child who has erred learn. We are continuously looking to improve the playground experience for children and welcome your input.

Forum List

Back