6 grade girls post a death cartoon video of a classmate on youtube

What would their punishment have been?

Personally, I believe the five young women should have been court ordered to the confinement of a juvenile detention center for the remainder of the school term including the summer. It would be the parents of the perpetrators responsibility to act as liaisons for all school assignments for the remainder of that term. During the summer, complete a ten page research paper on threatening behavior or any other topic relating to the offense. One copy to keep and one to be submitted to a judge. Then, a three page handwritten apology to the victim. One copy to keep, one copy to the judge, and one for the victim. (All documents handwritten.)

The five offending young women are too old for people to be taking this lightly.

What psychological effects may this have on someone who does not feel they can depend on the judicial system?

Furthermore, what psychological effects will this have on someone who feels the judicial system will not hold them responsible for their criminal actions?

I'd say the extreme has been covered.

Or maybe the death penalty will be suggested.

a the psychologoical effects might keep them from harming or killing someone as a "goof" in the future

they should be held accountable in the school system and the criminal system

it is that type of bullshit..the extremes have been covered..blah fucking blah soon the death penalty blah fuckign blah.....let them just run wild....dont take the time or concern to parent or as a society dont deal with young girls like this till they really really hurt someone...after all making a vidoe on the ways to kill someone that is just all fun and games till someone gets hurts

Last edited:
Personally, I believe the five young women should have been court ordered to the confinement of a juvenile detention center for the remainder of the school term including the summer. It would be the parents of the perpetrators responsibility to act as liaisons for all school assignments for the remainder of that term. During the summer, complete a ten page research paper on threatening behavior or any other topic relating to the offense. One copy to keep and one to be submitted to a judge. Then, a three page handwritten apology to the victim. One copy to keep, one copy to the judge, and one for the victim. (All documents handwritten.)

The five offending young women are too old for people to be taking this lightly.

What psychological effects may this have on someone who does not feel they can depend on the judicial system?

Furthermore, what psychological effects will this have on someone who feels the judicial system will not hold them responsible for their criminal actions?

I'd say the extreme has been covered.

Or maybe the death penalty will be suggested.

a the psychologoical effects might keep them from harming or killing someone as a "goof" in the future

they should be held accountable in the school system and the criminal system

it is that type of bullshit..the extremes have been covered..blah fucking blah soon the death penalty blah fuckign blah.....let them just run wild....dont take the time or concern to parent or as a society dont deal with young girls like this till they really really hurt someone...after all making a vidoe on the ways to kill someone that is just all fun and games till someone gets hurts

Thats correct.

Maybe if we all put down our blackberrys and ipods for five fucking minutes and focused on some good ol fashioned REAL parenting, we wouldnt have to deal with fucking retarded bull-shit like this.

Is that a state ordinance where you live?

I've been punished at school once for something I did outside of school. I guess I have to tell the story now:

I used to smoke a ton of pot in high school. At the end of my sophomore year I skipped the "Senior Honors Assembly" with a buddy, to go toke on a bong. We were stupid enough to go back to school without putting cologne on. Sure enough we got busted, and suspended for the first semester of the next year.

Being the typical teenager, that wasnt much of a deterrent for me. While suspended I was at a party that sure enough got busted by the mother of the kid throwing it. Sure enough, parents were called as well as the High School, which in turn made it to the "Safety School" (God that makes it sound like I liked to play with fire or something). I then had to deal with a shi*-load of disclipinary BS, and was even forced to sign an agreement stating that any reported infraction of "rules of the home" by my mother would result in AT LEAST another semesters suspension.

Just curious.

You were AT school, left, and returned. The school acted in position of what I believe is called locus parentis.

In this case or others where kids are texting, messing with facebook, etc., school can't act in that capacity, but the parents can be held responsible. If through actions, the school can act to protect others from dangers of bullies, etc. But, they have to have more than just an incident, thus the reason to file charges. The school may be able to get a psych evaluation on the kids that did that.

I think you're missing the point. Of course I can see why I was suspended for leaving school, then coming back stoned. I had that coming.

However, I dont see how I was punished by the school for being at a party on a weekend.
To the best of my knowledge the school can't punish for a weekend party, UNLESS you are a member of some team or association where you agree that attending such would bring the 'bad light' upon the school. THEN the school may remove you from participation and even suspend or refuse to allow you to participate in graduation, etc.

Those of you who said the parents should be the girls police are right. If my daughter did something like this, she wouldn't even HAVE a summer vacation. She'd be my live in maid/servant/cook from June to August!

My 11 year old daughter was recently (March) put in detention for calling an 11 year old boy a motherfucker. Apparently, some of her 'friends' had been talking about him and she took it upon herself to call him out.

I didn't even know she knew this word.

She got a 2 week grounding from me (no TV, no e-mail, no Nintendo, no friends, no allowance, up to her room straight after school and not allowed out on weekends) and a very long talk from my wife about how the choices we make determine the people we grow up to be. It's possibly the toughest 2 weeks she's ever had. She HATED it!

She knows now that any future detention will instantly mean a week's grounding, and any repetition of that kind of language will mean a month.

Yesterday, she came home and (unprompted) told us that she's decided these girls aren't her friends any more because they are always getting into trouble. Her GPA over the last 8 weeks has gone up from 2.5 to 3.3.

I'm sure this is just one of many trials she and we will face over the next several years. There will be good days and bad days. But if she ever does anything like that video, I agree with you EZ, it's lights out for the whole summer.

The older I get the more sorry I am for the crap I gave my parents!

Well, one would hope the word "mother" would already be there...the combination might take some thought, I'd admit. I don't know, bob; I think some people believe we live in Candyland (not intended as a personal dig at you). I live on Earth.

I never personally regarded "punishment" as being especially useful for namecalling, even profane namecalling, though not as sad a spectacle as the forced apology. The eventual social isolation from civilized people that's a consequence of excessive rudeness always seemed a more fitting consequence, and one more able to impart the lesson.

Well, one would hope the word "mother" would already be there...the combination might take some thought, I'd admit. I don't know, bob; I think some people believe we live in Candyland (not intended as a personal dig at you). I live on Earth.

I never personally regarded "punishment" as being especially useful for namecalling, even profane namecalling, though not as sad a spectacle as the forced apology. The eventual social isolation from civilized people that's a consequence of excessive rudeness always seemed a more fitting consequence, and one more able to impart the lesson.

I don't believe we live in Candyland, but everyone views their own child through slightly rose tinted glasses don't you think?

And I'm not sure that allowing my daughter to go through the hell of social ostracism in order to prove my point would be beneficial to her in the long term.

A Pierce County mother says she's horrified by a cartoon video - posted online - that showed several ways to kill her sixth grade daughter. The cartoon was made off school grounds by some of her daughter's classmates, girls aged 11 and 12. Titled "Top Six Ways to Kill Piper," it includes depictions of girls shooting her, making her commit suicide, poisoning her and even pushing her off a cliff.

Beth Smith tells KING5-TV the cartoon was set to a Hannah Montana song called "True Friend" and posted on YouTube. Her daughter Piper attends Elk Plain School of Choice in Spanaway, Wash., as do the girls who made the video. The little girl says it hurt her feelings. Because of privacy rules, the Bethel School District says it can't say how the girls were disciplined. But district spokeswoman Krista Carlson tells KING the students involved "have expressed their remorse about this incident." A report was also filed with the sheriff's department.

YouTube - Top Six Ways To Kill Piper (Newsclip)

Something is wrong when girls feel it is okay to post a video called "Top 6 ways to kill Piper" which include shooting her, making her commit suicide, poisoning and pushing her off a cliff.

Some are arguing on the side of the girls who posted the video saying it is freedom of speech.

The sheriff said he will not charge the girls because they did not act with hate and malice.

What I want to know is how does Piper continue to go to that school and still feel safe?

Do you think these girls need counseling considering the best way they know how to deal with their anger and feelings is having thoughts of killing another human being? What if one of these girls follows through on these types of feeling in later years; will someone have dropped the ball today in not dealing with the situation and teaching the girls better way to handle conflicts?

There's the self-indictment. How can they post something called Six ways to kill someone without acting with hate?

Children can be hateful, they were when I was a kid, and one would hope they grow out of it. I think the line they crossed was not in their thoughts, but in colluding on the production and publishing it to the internet. to me, that makes it a death threat.

how many of you have kids this age or have been thru this age?

Mine are 21 and 17. When my son was six, he went after a ten year old (with swift and blinding violence) for something said to his older sister when they were getting off the bus. With all the "I hate yous" sent back and forth between those two, it did my heart good to see it. They always had each others back.
My daughter was always pretty and popular, and I told her early that I wouldn't stand for her going along with picking on other kids. She wasn't just to avoid joining in, she was told to remember that grandma cut my hair herself and dressed me funny, and to put a stop to such nonsense.

Suspension seems perfectly reasonable to me too. Legal action by the state is not reasonable IMO. But if the family of the victim wants to sue the families of the offenders, I don't have a problem with that either. I'm not sure they'd get my vote if I were on the jury, but that is another point entirely.

Aside from the fact that I would see this as nothing to get all upset about, I'd much rather see the authorities handle any complaint or punishment rather than the school. Didn't happen in school. They did it at home. It's a bad example to be setting. They'll reach into your home and punish the way you pray sooner or later.

I agree with you. The law might not be able to pursue criminal charges, but the girls could face civil penalties for harassment if the parents wanted to press it. I'm surprised it hasn't been suggested to them.

The reports indicate that the school will not say HOW the girls were punished, due to privacy rules. It appears thay have been punished by the school. Opinions vary on the seriousness of this which is why I would think the school has no business in it. This is a matter to be handled by the parents.

Again, remember that if the school is allowed to reach out for this, it stands to strengthen the ability to reach out for other offenses. Let say some students make a violent crucifixtion video, a video showing Muhammed, etc. Do you really want the school policing behavior out of school?

I will mention Frederick v Morse again also. An 18 year old, (an adult, by law) holding a non sensical protest sign during the passing of the Olympic Torch. Standing on a public sidewalk, not attending school that day. The court said the school could reach onto that sidewalk and punish that adult for holding a protest sign.

I don't believe we live in Candyland, but everyone views their own child through slightly rose tinted glasses don't you think?

And I'm not sure that allowing my daughter to go through the hell of social ostracism in order to prove my point would be beneficial to her in the long term.

You gotta fall on your ass a couple of times, to know that it hurts.

Those of you who said the parents should be the girls police are right. If my daughter did something like this, she wouldn't even HAVE a summer vacation. She'd be my live in maid/servant/cook from June to August!

My 11 year old daughter was recently (March) put in detention for calling an 11 year old boy a motherfucker. Apparently, some of her 'friends' had been talking about him and she took it upon herself to call him out.

She got a 2 week grounding from me (no TV, no e-mail, no Nintendo, no friends, no allowance, up to her room straight after school and not allowed out on weekends) and a very long talk from my wife about how the choices we make determine the people we grow up to be. It's possibly the toughest 2 weeks she's ever had. She HATED it!

She knows now that any future detention will instantly mean a week's grounding, and any repetition of that kind of language will mean a month.

Yesterday, she came home and (unprompted) told us that she's decided these girls aren't her friends any more because they are always getting into trouble. Her GPA over the last 8 weeks has gone up from 2.5 to 3.3.

I'm sure this is just one of many trials she and we will face over the next several years. There will be good days and bad days. But if she ever does anything like that video, I agree with you EZ, it's lights out for the whole summer.

Haha, strict parent. I like it. :clap2:

But I gotta say, you let your child watch T.V.? Then she knows the "mofo" word, and others just as bad. Then theres the influence from the kids at school without parents as strict as you.

Shes just smart enough to not say that stuff around you

The reports indicate that the school will not say HOW the girls were punished, due to privacy rules. It appears thay have been punished by the school. Opinions vary on the seriousness of this which is why I would think the school has no business in it. This is a matter to be handled by the parents.

Again, remember that if the school is allowed to reach out for this, it stands to strengthen the ability to reach out for other offenses. Let say some students make a violent crucifixtion video, a video showing Muhammed, etc. Do you really want the school policing behavior out of school?

I will mention Frederick v Morse again also. An 18 year old, (an adult, by law) holding a non sensical protest sign during the passing of the Olympic Torch. Standing on a public sidewalk, not attending school that day. The court said the school could reach onto that sidewalk and punish that adult for holding a protest sign.

Thank you, I was just about to say. I remember in school they showed us a sexual harassment video that showed what would qualify as sexual harassment which we promptly mocked and insulted. In the video they had a story of a guy maknig fun of a girl on one of those hotornot ripoffs and they said he got in trouble with the school.

I remember thinking that that was the biggest load of crap I had ever heard. It was him exercising free speech and the girl he offended nor his school should be allowed to get him into trouble for it.

Schools should not have the authority to act as fucking police officers for things that happen outside school. I can understand going after a kid who threatens someone in school then beats them up outside of school, but beyond that they should have no authority.

Also the idea that we should treat the girl as a potential murderer because she made this is also stupid. This is not proof of intent or proof of violent tendencies.

Last edited:

That has got to be the biggest overreaction I've ever heard over a motherfucking word.

That has got to be the biggest overreaction I've ever heard over a motherfucking word.

Cool.

Forum List

Back