50 aid groups demand Israel lift Gaza blockade

P F Tinmore

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) — Fifty international aid groups and U.N. agencies on Thursday urged Israel to open Gaza's borders, saying its border blockade violates international law and indiscriminately harms Gaza's 1.6 million people.

However, international aid agencies say the blockade mainly punishes ordinary Gazans by crippling the territory's economy, forcing foreign donors to spend money on humanitarian relief instead of investing in the economy.

"What Gaza needs is real development, but because of the blockade we are obliged to concentrate on humanitarian work," Filippo Grandi, head of the U.N. Relief and Works Agency, told reporters in Gaza on Thursday. UNRWA is Gaza's biggest foreign agency, supporting some 1.2 million refugees and their descendants in the territory.

Spending on emergency needs, such as food and medicine, does not address fundamental problems, Grandi said. "In fact, it's a waste of money, but a waste we are obliged to make because of the blockade," he added.

50 aid groups demand Israel lift Gaza blockade - Yahoo! News

If Israel lifts the blockade the noble peace loving, life loving Palestinians wouldn't smuggle in any weapons to be used against Israel, right Tinmore?

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) — Fifty international aid groups and U.N. agencies on Thursday urged Israel to open Gaza's borders, saying its border blockade violates international law and indiscriminately harms Gaza's 1.6 million people.

However, international aid agencies say the blockade mainly punishes ordinary Gazans by crippling the territory's economy, forcing foreign donors to spend money on humanitarian relief instead of investing in the economy.

"What Gaza needs is real development, but because of the blockade we are obliged to concentrate on humanitarian work," Filippo Grandi, head of the U.N. Relief and Works Agency, told reporters in Gaza on Thursday. UNRWA is Gaza's biggest foreign agency, supporting some 1.2 million refugees and their descendants in the territory.

Spending on emergency needs, such as food and medicine, does not address fundamental problems, Grandi said. "In fact, it's a waste of money, but a waste we are obliged to make because of the blockade," he added.

*yawn*....

These agencies should pull out of Gaza and stop giving aid and comfort to terrorism.

Right. Because every person in Gaza is a terrorist.

Honestly, Art, this really is absolutely henious posting.

How long have you been a supportoer of guilty until proven innocent?

On how many occassions can you name a country which has been helped by forcing its people even further into poverty?

These agencies should pull out of Gaza and stop giving aid and comfort to terrorism.

On how many occassions can you name a country which has been helped by forcing its people even further into poverty?

I never wrote that everybody in Gaza is a terrorist. But lying seems to second nature to you.

It is however a fact that Gaza is controlled by a terrorist organization, Hamas. As long as Hamas is in charge in Gaza all international bodies and organizations should pull out. Hamas is outside the bounds of the civilized world.

So which part of this statement refers to the tenfs of thousands of Gazans who are Not terrorists?

These stament seems like to many you post - simplistic, black & white and based on the principle that all Arabs are somehow guilty.

So which part of this statement refers to the tenfs of thousands of Gazans who are Not terrorists?

These stament seems like to many you post - simplistic, black & white and based on the principle that all Arabs are somehow guilty.

By their presence in Gaza these agencies help prop up the terrorist organization Hamas.

I suggest the tens of thousands of Gazans who are not terrorists throw the terrorists out.

I never wrote that everybody in Gaza is a terrorist. But lying seems to second nature to you.

It is however a fact that Gaza is controlled by a terrorist organization, Hamas. As long as Hamas is in charge in Gaza all international bodies and organizations should pull out. Hamas is outside the bounds of the civilized world.

Hamas are not terrorists over there. They are only terrorists over here.

But they were elected over there where they are not terrorists.

Yes, we all know you're a moutpiece for terrorist propaganda.

Yes, we all know you're a moutpiece for terrorist propaganda.

It is Israel's terrorist propaganda. They are the ones always doing the third grade name calling thing.

By their presence in Gaza these agencies help prop up the terrorist organization Hamas.

I suggest the tens of thousands of Gazans who are not terrorists throw the terrorists out.
I suggest you shut your fuckin' mouth and stop telling other people how to live their lives the way you see fit! It's none of Israel's (or yours) business who the Pals choose to represent them in a legal, democratic election.

And what does street improvements have anything to do with terrorism? Not everyone in Hamas has committed, supported or contributed to an act of terrorism. Yet the Mossad felt it necessary to go in and assassinate one of their members, who was not part of any defense or militia branch of Hamas, but was a para-palegic. How fucked are you to go kill someone who's spends 24/7 of their life on a gurney?

Hamas goes and puts new street lights in some of their streets, then IDF snipers come in and shoot the lamps out at the top! Which means two things:
  1. You treat everything they do as terrorism, even if it isn't.
  2. Statements like that, shows people just how full of shit you are on this issue.
End the god-damn blockade, or somebody should send in a battleship with a big sign on the side that say's...

"BOARD THIS MOTHER-FUCKERS!"​

I do agree with that - I think they should do.

But as aid agencies pull out, Hamas expands to fill the vacuum and provides services that aid agencies might otherwise provide.

Your suggestion may do more to entrench Hamas in power than see them tossed out.

But as aid agencies pull out, Hamas expands to fill the vacuum and provides services that aid agencies might otherwise provide.

Your suggestion may do more to entrench Hamas in power than see them tossed out.

Good points. Israel has shot itself on the foot many times in the last decade over short sighted policy. Israel is becoming its own worst enemy.

Quite the contrary. As long as the Palestinians in Gaza believe they can count on any sympathy and aid from the rest of the world while continuing to support Hamas terrorism they will not rebel against this murderous organisation.

Besides, it is totally illogical for the EU and the US to invest any money in propping up a group which they themselves classify as terrorist murderers.

Why is Israel blockading Gaza anyways? They get through all the rockets they can handle. Wouldn't it be better to address the root of the problem instead? :dunno:

Why is Israel blockading Gaza anyways? They get through all the rockets they can handle. Wouldn't it be better to address the root of the problem instead? :dunno:

What would you have the Israelis do? bomb Gaza into submission until the rockets stop?

Good points. Israel has shot itself on the foot many times in the last decade over short sighted policy. Israel is becoming its own worst enemy.

The ones shooting themselves in the foot are the Palestinians. As long as they keep choosing terrorism over a peace settlement they will continue to lose more and more, till there will be nothing left for them.

Forum List

Back