50,000 to italy........

Right wingers will ALWAYS find something to politicize. News flash: Italy isn't the US. We have no idea how much damage there is - when Italy sends us a request for money, believe me, it will top over 50 million. Italy is one of the US's closest allies.

We, the US, do not have any 'close' allies. We have expedient allies. Now, moreso than ever.

This might be something I can agree with. Keep our money home; get and keep our troops home, maybe it is time to go 'Europe' on the world, it's worked for them.

Have $$ after taxes and inflation? Send them to the latest disaster area.

Hmmm...........

BBC News | Americas | Nations plead for aid after Mitch disaster

International assistance

The international community is offering help, with some several million dollars coming from the United States and the European Union.

US President Bill Clinton said his country had provided $2m in food, medicine, water and other emergency relief supplies, and the European Union has offered more than $8m worth of aid.

Meanwhile UN World Food said on Tuesday that it had distributed over 100,000 tons of food previously earmarked for development projects in Nicaragua and was distributing food in Honduras.

UNICEF said it had provided $20,000 worth of medicine to Nicaragua and was shipping 500,000 sachets of oral rehydration salts, used in cases of diarrhea and cholera.

In Honduras, UNICEF said it was providing food, drugs and blankets for several thousand people and clean water for 62,500 people for a week.

1. How much will BO give Italy when all is said and done?

2. When the next disaster strikes Turkey, how much will BO give?

The greatest outpouring of disaster relief on record has been promised for the victims of the worst natural disaster of our time, a stupendous display of good will and empathy for the huge suffering and loss in Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Thailand, India, Somalia and the other devastated countries. Now, how does the world get it to those who need it?

President Bush, who embarrassed Americans with his initial offer of a piddling $15 million, should be commended for increasing the government's pledge to $350 million. Japan quickly followed suit, raising its promised amount to $500 million from $30 million. And Norway, just yesterday, announced that it is adding $160 million to its initial pledge, for a total of about $180 million, a whopping amount from a country with a gross domestic product figure that's half the size of New Jersey's.
Disaster relief:: Raining money - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

This might be something I can agree with. Keep our money home; get and keep our troops home, maybe it is time to go 'Europe' on the world, it's worked for them.

Hmmm...........

International assistance

The international community is offering help, with some several million dollars coming from the United States and the European Union.

US President Bill Clinton said his country had provided $2m in food, medicine, water and other emergency relief supplies, and the European Union has offered more than $8m worth of aid.

Meanwhile UN World Food said on Tuesday that it had distributed over 100,000 tons of food previously earmarked for development projects in Nicaragua and was distributing food in Honduras.

UNICEF said it had provided $20,000 worth of medicine to Nicaragua and was shipping 500,000 sachets of oral rehydration salts, used in cases of diarrhea and cholera.

In Honduras, UNICEF said it was providing food, drugs and blankets for several thousand people and clean water for 62,500 people for a week.
It should not be coming from tax dollars. We can't afford our own bills. Screw any other countries, no matter how close the ties.

Our country's interest, alone. Feeling so European, it's really freeing and enjoyable!

Hmmm...........

International assistance

It should not be coming from tax dollars. We can't afford our own bills. Screw any other countries, no matter how close the ties.

Our country's interest, alone. Feeling so European, it's really freeing and enjoyable!

oui oui...........

All of my Italian relatives but a couple live in L'Aquida, where the earthquake took place. We awoke this morning from a phone call from my Uncle Danny who lives here in the usa of the news....my mother who is Italian born then spent the rest of the day trying to find out if they are all okay and could not get through on the phone...until she finally reached my cousins who live in a town called Sabaudia.

They said that 10 of my uncles and aunts and cousins were alive, 2 still unaccounted for, and their homes were devastated and in rubble but they managed to make it to a friends home outside of the city.

They lost all that they owned, including their homes, but are grateful to be alive. Still hoping that my cousin giovanni and her family is okay, but we still have not been able to reach them.

The political aspect of the money to help or not help means nothing to me.

Care

Keeping you and your family in our thoughts. Please let us know how everyone is and if there is something that we can do to help. God Bless.

All of my Italian relatives but a couple live in L'Aquida, where the earthquake took place. We awoke this morning from a phone call from my Uncle Danny who lives here in the usa of the news....my mother who is Italian born then spent the rest of the day trying to find out if they are all okay and could not get through on the phone...until she finally reached my cousins who live in a town called Sabaudia.

They said that 10 of my uncles and aunts and cousins were alive, 2 still unaccounted for, and their homes were devastated and in rubble but they managed to make it to a friends home outside of the city.

They lost all that they owned, including their homes, but are grateful to be alive. Still hoping that my cousin giovanni and her family is okay, but we still have not been able to reach them.

The political aspect of the money to help or not help means nothing to me.

Care

Hoping for the best for your cousins. And, as far as I am concerned, we should help as much as we can.

Hmmm...........

International assistance

What goes around comes around.

Hmmm...........

International assistance

What goes around comes around.

That was exactly the point. We've been there, done that, didn't even get a t-shirt.

LOL, is there anything you people can't pis* and moan about?

International response to Hurricane Katrina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What others do or don't, it's past time for the US to remove itself from venues like this. If citizens wish to donate, fine, but it's wrong for the government to be sending money overseas, when that money won't be paid for in two generations. Ditto for here-expecting help from EU is wrong.

Oh c'mon, Annie, why so heartless? During your time of disaster the entire world gave. Jesus, UGANDA (GDP per capita: $1059!!) sent $200,000. That money was more needed in Uganda than in the US, and similarly for every other country, including Italy [see below]. But what's more striking yet, it was actually needed by the US government- to the point that Bush had to actually petition the European Commission for emergency help, and then requested the [previously rejected] French, Russian and other offers. And what for? Undoubtedly , many or most of these gestures are symbolic, much like the US commitment of $50,000 for Italy's earthquake. $50,000 is pocket change for the US government. I mean lets put it in perspective: it's a TENTH OF A TENTH OF A CENT from you. But it still sends a message of solidarity from one people to another in the face of a natural disaster... and it is even more so when it is the government that is ELECTED by a people to another which is ELECTED by the people.

It's not an accident that so many poor governments offered help- much of it is warranted, as the US is a huge foreign aid donor to many of these countries. The international response to Katrina vindicates the commitment. The US reaped what it sowed in this particular case; the world responded in kind, and even if the assistance is unnecessary in this case, don't the pledges (both from the US to Italy and from the world to the US) represent something more meaningful? After all, nobody knows the tragedy that tomorrow may bring, and nobody knows where. Emergency aid during particular incidents and development aid in general are part of this: it demonstrates governments attempting to seal some of the cracks of the system so that states don't fall into them.

And you more than anyone should see that as a good thing. Afghanistan, Somalia, maybe even Pakistan soon... This is a different world, Annie. Everything is connected and our problems are transnational. No development aid, no emergency assistance, no solidarity between governments (which are the representatives of peoples) means more and bigger guns, more and bigger government/army, and most of all MORE taxes, the very thing you are complaining about. Letting states fall through the cracks into chaos and poverty only lead to extremism, from which you'll need protection- that is more taxes for the government. More than anything, this type of isolationism represents a perfect example of "September 10th" mentality.

Wikipedia said:
Bangladesh
Donated humanitarian aid worth $1 million and said it would send 160 disaster management experts, including doctors, nurses, engineers and others.

Djibouti
Offered $50,000.[2]

India
India offered to contribute $5 million to the United States Red Cross for relief and rehabilitation of the victims. They also offered to donate medicines and large water purification systems for use in households and small communities in the stricken areas, where potable water was a key concern.[22] India sent tarps, blankets and hygiene kits. An Indian Air Force IL-76 aircraft delivered 25 tonnes of relief supplies for the Hurricane Katrina victims at the Little Rock Air Force Base, Arkansas on September 13, 2005.[23]

Italy
Italy offered to send two Hercules C130 cargo aircraft fitted with emergency aids, including 300 Adult camp beds, 300 blankets, 600 sheets, 1 suction pump, 6 lifecrafts, 11.200 chlorine tablets, 5 units of large first aid kits, baby food formula pumps, tents and power generators. Italy also offered to send some experts of the Protezione Civile to help coordinating relief efforts in the damaged area.[8]

Mexico
Kelly Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas received almost 196 Mexican troops, 14 truckloads of water, a mobile surgical unit, 45 military vehicles, 3 tons of purified water, and more than 250 tons of food, bottled water, canned food, disposable diapers and medical supplies. The Mexican Government sent $1 million through the Mexican Red Cross which collected an additional million, as well as 200 tons of food delivered in five airplanes from the Mexican Air Force by another Mexican Government body. The Mexican Navy sent two ships, 385 troopers, eight all-terrain vehicles, seven amphibious vehicles, two tankers, two helicopters, radio communication equipment, medical personnel and 296 tons of food as well. The state of Jalisco also sent four experts in disaster, while the Federal government offered to send expert teams in epidemiology and to cover the costs of returning any Mexican national back to Mexico.

Mongolia Pledged $50,000.

Qatar Pledged $100 million to the victims.[32]

Uganda Offered $200,000.[2]

United Arab Emirates Pledged $100 million.

Vietnam Pledged $100,000.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back