$4.15 a Gallon. Thank Goodness for Exxon!

the only way to get gas prices down is to just start using less of it. cut usage by 10% and watch how quickly prices drop

Yep. Many ways to do that!

In a few weeks I'll have 10 weeks off from driving 70 miles round trip every day for my job. And next year I'll be a bit closer to my work thank goodness.

i'm lucky i can take the bus or train to work. at home i walk to the stores whenever i can. i fill my car up like once every two months. in the summer if i have to go somewhere i take my bike (motorcycle)
From January to mid March I was spending 5-7 hours a day on a city bus for work.

(of course most of it was driving it)

Context is important.

20 most profitable companies - 1. Exxon Mobil (1) - FORTUNE

Despite how you like to make it sound, Exxon isn't crying in the poorhouse. Furthermore, a company the size of ExxonMobil and the industry that it's in would not be expected to get the numbers you seem to be hinting at.

But hey, don't worry, Exxon is already well on it's way to smashing last year's mark.

Exxon Mobil profit soars along with gas prices - The Washington Post

Time for y'all to get a smart car!

Cars17.jpg

I don't think so, Tim.

smart%20car%20crash1.jpg

:eek:

Don't google "smart car accident". omG!!! :ack-1: :ack-1: :ack-1:
Every time I see one of those stupid things along side my bus flapping in my wake like a flag, I just think, you know... you ARE the crumple zone and I could suck you under and spit you out without even denting my bike rack.

Yep. Many ways to do that!

In a few weeks I'll have 10 weeks off from driving 70 miles round trip every day for my job. And next year I'll be a bit closer to my work thank goodness.

i'm lucky i can take the bus or train to work. at home i walk to the stores whenever i can. i fill my car up like once every two months. in the summer if i have to go somewhere i take my bike (motorcycle)
From January to mid March I was spending 5-7 hours a day on a city bus for work.

i spend 2 hrs a day, each way

i spend 2 hrs a day, each way
That was January for me. plus 20 minutes walking in -5 to -20 degree temps.

what happened last time the did that? arab countries started to show signs of economic stress. they can't not produce for long. see, we aren't the only ones who have spent beyond our means.

Oh I happen to agree with you. I do believe that gas prices will come down again. However, I think that unless we find a viable alternative for the future, this is only a glimpse of the future we're going to face for gas prices.

i agree. i put a solar system on my house last summer. i'll never have another utility bill again. in fact I get paid for the exess i produce. alternatives are the answer and if we start taking advantage of the technology that already exists oil companies will have to start competing instead of dictating
How much did your solar system cost?
I once did a job for a homeowner who spent 40 grand on a solar panel power generating system. He said on a good day it would give him 18 hrs of electricity.
40 thousand dollars. REALLY?...
Besids we use coal, hydro and nuclear for electicity.
"Viable alternative"...That's a mouthful.

Oh I happen to agree with you. I do believe that gas prices will come down again. However, I think that unless we find a viable alternative for the future, this is only a glimpse of the future we're going to face for gas prices.

i agree. i put a solar system on my house last summer. i'll never have another utility bill again. in fact I get paid for the exess i produce. alternatives are the answer and if we start taking advantage of the technology that already exists oil companies will have to start competing instead of dictating
I once did a job for a homeowner who spent 40 grand on a solar panel power generating system. He said on a good day it would give him 18 hrs of electricity.
You get more than just free electricity. A $40,000 system should generate 8 SRECs per year at $600 per SREC. With the 30% government rebate and free electricity, the system pays for itself in less than 5 years. From then on, the free electricity and 11 more years of SRECs make it quite a profitable investment.

SREC Pricing | NJ OCE Web Site

Last edited:

Thank goodness for the current administation's foreign policy. You remember? The one that was going to get us out of the Middle East?

But please, blame a corporation of your favorite flavor instead.
Page one of the progressive playbook (first printing 1918, revised 2nd printing 1933).

When you screw something up through government, blame the free market. Ignore all counter-arguments.

I put in the largest system the state would give rebates for. the total cost was $58,000 but that also included upgrading the electrical system to a 200 amp service and 200V
Of the top you get a 30% federal rebate and a 10% state rebate. I produce more power than I use so the surplus get sold back to the power company. My house is all electric so my average monthly bill was about $450 or $5400 per year. So I no longer have that. Plus I generate between 10 - 12 Srec credits a year depending on the weather. Credits are being sold for $650 ea right now sot that's another $6500 - $7800 per year credit.

At that rate the system pays itself off in a little over three years. I'm currently not living in the house so I am selling all of the power produced back to the power company right now.

You get more than just free electricity. A $40,000 system should generate 8 SRECs per year at $600 per SREC. With the 30% government rebate and free electricity, the system pays for itself in less than 5 years. From then on, the free electricity and 11 more years of SRECs make it quite a profitable investment.

SREC Pricing | NJ OCE Web Site

you are absolutely right

I put in the largest system the state would give rebates for. the total cost was $58,000 but that also included upgrading the electrical system to a 200 amp service and 200V
Of the top you get a 30% federal rebate and a 10% state rebate. I produce more power than I use so the surplus get sold back to the power company. My house is all electric so my average monthly bill was about $450 or $5400 per year. So I no longer have that. Plus I generate between 10 - 12 Srec credits a year depending on the weather. Credits are being sold for $650 ea right now sot that's another $6500 - $7800 per year credit.

At that rate the system pays itself off in a little over three years. I'm currently not living in the house so I am selling all of the power produced back to the power company right now.
they pay in credits???? da hell? If I did that, I'd want a check.

they pay in credits???? da hell? If I did that, I'd want a check.

The SREC's are credits. you have the opportunity to cash them in with the state or sell them on the open market if you can get a better price.

In typical lib fashion, the article never gives any specifics about what the bill actually does. Instead, it offers all kinds of value judgements completely unsupported by any facts.

In percentage terms, Exxon's profits are not that spectacular.

Your article is a hatchet job, just like all leftwing journalism.

Apparently, you don't pay enough attention on your own, so I guess you want to be spoon fed. The bill was to eliminate a $1.8 billion annual tax subsidy which treats drilling as if it were domestic production.

Here's what the Lefties don't grok: much of the tax credits are accelerated depreciation for capital purchases (equipment).

Instead of depreciating such assets over many years, the immediate write-off reduces current taxes, but actually increases future taxes. Such accelerated depreciation encourages INVESTMENT and JOBS. The equipment and machinery manufacturers who supply the oil industry will see a drop in business, and, as a result, will lay off workers if the tax policy is changed.

Which sounds exactly like an OBAMA AGENDA ITEM - destruction of more private sector jobs in order to increase dependency upon the government.

Here's what the Lefties don't grok: much of the tax credits are accelerated depreciation for capital purchases (equipment).

Instead of depreciating such assets over many years, the immediate write-off reduces current taxes, but actually increases future taxes. Such accelerated depreciation encourages INVESTMENT and JOBS. The equipment and machinery manufacturers who supply the oil industry will see a drop in business, and, as a result, will lay off workers if the tax policy is changed.

Which sounds exactly like an OBAMA AGENDA ITEM - destruction of more private sector jobs in order to increase dependency upon the government.

And exactly WHY, in a capitalist economy, should the tax payers cover the cost of capital purchases. Either the oil industry is a capitalist venture or it's not. You can't have it both ways.

And exactly WHY, in a capitalist economy, should the tax payers cover the cost of capital purchases. Either the oil industry is a capitalist venture or it's not. You can't have it both ways.

do you want to be able to write off your mortgage and taxes?

Actually, it speaks to the CON$ervative habit of telling only half truths leaving it to the honest person to figure out what CON$ are leaving out!!!

The oil monopoly makes profit from more than just selling the gas!!!!!!!

They make a profit from taking the oil out of the ground and selling it on the open market. They make a profit on the refining of the crude oil. They make a profit on every step in the production of the gas before they make a profit on the sale of the gas.

In keeping with telling truths, lets continue:

"Just 1.5% of the stock in the major oil companies is owned by the corporate management of those companies. That leaves about 98.5% of the stock left!
The biggest share of the stock in these oil companies, 29.5%, is owned by mutual funds and 27% share of oil company stocks for you is in pension funds. These are funds for policeman, firemen, teachers and etc.
Individual investors own 23%.
IRAs account for 14% of all outstanding shares in big oil.
The last 5%? They’re listed as “other institutional investors.” Maybe some of these are foreign investors.

15 out of the 16 largest oil and gas companies in the world are owned by governments, the largest being Saudi Arabian Oil Co. with 19.19% of all proven worldwide reserves. ExxonMobil controls less than one percent of worldwide reserves.

So what we learn is that the evil, rich oil companies are actually making money for average workers. We definitely need to punish those filthy, money grubbing corps thereby punishing the middle class workers. When you break down the facts, you would have to be truly ignorant in justifying punishing the people...oops I mean those rotten oil companies.
My child, you know nothing about how a monopoly is controlled. To do so you must understand the subtle difference between "ownership" and "control."

As an example, when the Standard Oil holding company was broken up, Rockefeller on paper owned 25% so some shareholders tried to oust him from the Board. When the vote was in, Rockefeller voted 60% of the proxies!!!! You see, you can't OWN a monopoly, but you can CONTROL one. All he did is switch control from a holding company to a bank.

Now to go through your list of OWNERS. Mutual funds and pensions are not voted by the stockholders but by the managers of the funds, like a bank. Again IRAs are not voted by the owners but by the managers, like a bank. So through the bank loophole in the antitrust law, you can control a monopoly that you don't own.
Get it?

Doesn't matter who controls as the money still goes to the sharekholders, IRA owners and pension funds, ie the middle class. Your response did nothing to refute the facts given.
Let me give you a tip in debating, NEVER start the retort with an insult "(my child)" as it weakens your response as nothing more than a high school rant. I have read your responses before so I really don't expect more from you.

Forum List

Back