$4.15 a Gallon. Thank Goodness for Exxon!

So? Their profit margin is still less than 10% that of a hedge fund. Less than 30% that of Software development.

Context is important.

20 most profitable companies - 1. Exxon Mobil (1) - FORTUNE

Like last year, Exxon was edged out as the largest company in the U.S. (that crown again goes to Wal-Mart), but it can boast about being the most profitable. With the recession past it, Exxon boosted earnings 59% thanks to rising oil prices driven by a recovering world economy. Oil isn't everything to Exxon.

After its 2009 mega-deal for XTO, natural gas now accounts for half of Exxon's global production. But even amid sluggish natural gas prices, Exxon remains in a league of its own on our list: its $30.5 billion in profits are a staggering $10 billion more than its closest oily competitor, Chevron, and more than 52 times the size of the median profits in the 500.

Despite how you like to make it sound, Exxon isn't crying in the poorhouse. Furthermore, a company the size of ExxonMobil and the industry that it's in would not be expected to get the numbers you seem to be hinting at.

But hey, don't worry, Exxon is already well on it's way to smashing last year's mark.

Exxon Mobil profit soars along with gas prices - The Washington Post
Exxon Mobil reported a first-quarter profit Thursday of $10.7 billion, a 69 percent jump from the year before as higher crude oil prices, fatter U.S. oil refining and marketing margins, and a revival in global demand for petrochemicals boosted earnings.

Royal Dutch Shell also reported higher profits. Excluding one-time items and inventory gains, Shell earned $6.3 billion, up 30 percent from the first quarter of 2010 even as production dropped 3 percent.

Higher crude oil prices were the overriding reason for the increase in profits. Exxon Mobil produces 2.4 million barrels a day of crude oil and natural gas liquids, and the average price Exxon received for every barrel was $25 higher than the year before, David Rosenthal, vice president of investor relations, said in a conference call with analysts.

Time for y'all to get a smart car!

Cars17.jpg

So? Their profit margin is still less than 10% that of a hedge fund. Less than 30% that of Software development.

Context is important.

Despite how you like to make it sound, Exxon isn't crying in the poorhouse. Furthermore, a company the size of ExxonMobil and the industry that it's in would not be expected to get the numbers you seem to be hinting at.

But hey, don't worry, Exxon is already well on it's way to smashing last year's mark.

Higher crude oil prices were the overriding reason for the increase in profits. Exxon Mobil produces 2.4 million barrels a day of crude oil and natural gas liquids, and the average price Exxon received for every barrel was $25 higher than the year before, David Rosenthal, vice president of investor relations, said in a conference call with analysts.

Cars17.jpg

That is so cute! A little red corvette would be fine if everything else on the road wasn't so big... You'd get crushed! :eusa_eh:

Context is important.

Cars17.jpg

I don't think so, Tim.

smart%20car%20crash1.jpg

:eek:

Don't google "smart car accident". omG!!! :ack-1: :ack-1: :ack-1:

Context is important.

Cars17.jpg

That is so cute! A little red corvette would be fine if everything else on the road wasn't so big... You'd get crushed! :eusa_eh:

I wanna see what happens when that fucking thing hits a curb, or a pot hole, or a squirrel.

Context is important.

Cars17.jpg

I don't think so, Tim.

smart%20car%20crash1.jpg

:eek:

Don't google "smart car accident". omG!!! :ack-1: :ack-1: :ack-1:

That will buff out.

Context is important.

Cars17.jpg

I don't think my legs could fit in one of those things anyway. Too damn long. I have to push my car seat all the way back in my car now as it is! :(

Context is important.

Cars17.jpg

Then there's always my liberal friend's solution (yes IRL I have very liberal friends. I keep trying to wake em up but they're a stubborn lot)...

Ban anything bigger than it.

We've had this conversation before.

They paid approximately 40% of their operating income in income taxes around the world.

And that doesn't count the excise taxes glommed on at the pump. Government taxes on a gallon of gas are higher than Exxon's profit margin.

yep, just like tobacco. tobacco companies make 50 cents a pack. guess where the rest goes. uncle sam

hey, I drive 120 miles a day, I don't relish the thought of $4.40 regular ......but pulling exxons tax breaks will cost us more, they will pass it on.

how about a federal or state tax moratorium on gas? oh wait they have screwed up the fisc so bad they need every dime they can get.

That would be great Trajan! Call your reps today and let's get it started! :eusa_pray:

the only way to get gas prices down is to just start using less of it. cut usage by 10% and watch how quickly prices drop

hey, I drive 120 miles a day, I don't relish the thought of $4.40 regular ......but pulling exxons tax breaks will cost us more, they will pass it on.

how about a federal or state tax moratorium on gas? oh wait they have screwed up the fisc so bad they need every dime they can get.

That would be great Trajan! Call your reps today and let's get it started! :eusa_pray:

the only way to get gas prices down is to just start using less of it. cut usage by 10% and watch how quickly prices drop

Yep. Many ways to do that!

In a few weeks I'll have 10 weeks off from driving 70 miles round trip every day for my job. And next year I'll be a bit closer to my work thank goodness.

Yep. Many ways to do that!

In a few weeks I'll have 10 weeks off from driving 70 miles round trip every day for my job. And next year I'll be a bit closer to my work thank goodness.

i'm lucky i can take the bus or train to work. at home i walk to the stores whenever i can. i fill my car up like once every two months. in the summer if i have to go somewhere i take my bike (motorcycle)

Except all the oil companies have to do is cut supply in order to keep the price up. OPEC cut supply back in February due to a lack of demand. There is no supply shortage at the present moment that would prevent gasoline from going back down.

Not saying that's what will happen. Just saying it should be noted that there is definitely enough gasoline to meet the current demand.

Except all the oil companies have to do is cut supply in order to keep the price up. OPEC cut supply back in February due to a lack of demand. There is no shortage at the present moment that would prevent gasoline from going back down if initiated.

what happened last time the did that? arab countries started to show signs of economic stress. they can't not produce for long. see, we aren't the only ones who have spent beyond our means.

what happened last time the did that? arab countries started to show signs of economic stress. they can't not produce for long. see, we aren't the only ones who have spent beyond our means.

Oh I happen to agree with you. I do believe that gas prices will come down again. However, I think that unless we find a viable alternative for the future, this is only a glimpse of the future we're going to face for gas prices.

Oh I happen to agree with you. I do believe that gas prices will come down again. However, I think that unless we find a viable alternative for the future, this is only a glimpse of the future we're going to face for gas prices.

i agree. i put a solar system on my house last summer. i'll never have another utility bill again. in fact I get paid for the exess i produce. alternatives are the answer and if we start taking advantage of the technology that already exists oil companies will have to start competing instead of dictating

Forum List

Back