300 dow down is just a start

The problem I have with this thread is that 300 points is pretty much of a rounding error with the Dow at this level. A correction would be 1000+ points, a bear market 2000+ points and a crash more like 2500+ points in say less than 90 days.

A 300-point drop? It's just the start
With the credit markets a disaster, buyouts can't continue to drive stock prices higher. That's one reason, of many, I think we're headed for an even bigger fall.

Latest Market Update
July 27, 2007 -- 10:00 ET
Which party was in the majority in 2007?

What we are seeing is the greed for fast high risk profit.
Lack of proper regulations on the finiancial industry.
The push by govt to get the economy up at any price.
And last but the biggest factor. Globalization and freer trade.

Both parties have been led by the corporations to head us down this path.
Both parties and the American people were too shortsighted to see what was coming.

Our finiancial experts have proven their inept failure.

The problem I have with this thread is that 300 points is pretty much of a rounding error with the Dow at this level. A correction would be 1000+ points, a bear market 2000+ points and a crash more like 2500+ points in say less than 90 days.

It is bound to happen, I am surprised the crash is taking so long to actually occur.

Yeap I was right

Not only are you stupid, you are also stupid.

On the day you use YOUR OWN research, and draw YOUR OWN conclusions, and THOSE CONCLUSIONS are accurate..... THEN you will be right.

Until then you are just some drooling fool who thinks that agreeing with someone else somehow makes you intelligent.

The Fed and BOJ have seen market votes of no confidence in the last 48 hours. The big question is will IL make it through this month without declared default? If it does not and defaults then a 20% drop prior to the election will cost the Dems the senate. There are multiple states and cities in the US and many foreign countries in danger of default but technically IL has been in default for around a year but the question is when will the taking clause lawsuits force into declared default because that is close.

It makes no difference what the numbers are unless you're a dolt allowing someone else to gamble with your money.It's all about individual stocks. The only Exception would be ETF's
Has anyone here ever visited a company they own stock in, other than your own employer ?
I sure have.

Were LBOs ever really a healthy thing for the economy?

They pumped up the stockmarket and made bankers richer than hell to be sure.. but were they really a good thing for the economy as a whole?

Let's remember that a lot of these were takeovers, and not sales that the management of the organizations themselves were happy with

So this is a serious question, and not just me editorializing.

I ask because recognize that some of you folks here understand the machinations of the markets far better than I do.

Seems to me that LBOs often ended up creating companies with enormous debt which they dealt with by selling off assets and breaking up companies.

They took going concerns that worked and cannibized them to make a quick buck.

Is that really a good thing?

Last edited:
This isn't really an indictment of the republican party; the coming economic troubles are an indictment of bad federal reserve policy, which is independent of party.

Maybe we should return to the gold standard.

Sure we have about enough gold to cover 1/100th of the currency out there.

There is enough gold on the planet to cover the US dollar currency at $1,247 per ounce, but not enough to cover foreign currency, derivatives, bonds, stock, unfunded mandates, debt & interest.

Yeap I was right

Not only are you stupid, you are also stupid.

On the day you use YOUR OWN research, and draw YOUR OWN conclusions, and THOSE CONCLUSIONS are accurate..... THEN you will be right.

Until then you are just some drooling fool who thinks that agreeing with someone else somehow makes you intelligent.

So how do you feel about it now toots?

Were LBOs ever really a healthy thing for the economy?

They pumped up the stockmarket and made bankers richer than hell to be sure.. but were they really a good thing for the economy as a whole?

Let's remember that a lot of these were takeovers, and not sales that the management of the organizations themselves were happy with

So this is a serious question, and not just me editorializing.

I ask because recognize that some of you folks here understand the machinations of the markets far better than I do.

Seems to me that LBOs often ended up creating companies with enormous debt which they dealt with by selling off assets and breaking up companies.

They took going concerns that worked and cannibized them to make a quick buck.

Is that really a good thing?
Not often but sometimes. A lot of companies sit on cash, have no show jobs for their buddies and otherwise steal from the company's owners. Combined with all of the protections given board members by congress barbarians at the gate is sometimes the only recourse.

Forum List

Back