2013 sea ice thread!!!

I am always amazed at the contortions that people go to, just so that they don't have to see other points of view. the example of sea ice extent/volume/age is similar to the case of global temperatures. any single year cannot be taken by itself but must be see in context with the year(s) before it.

And to whose contortions do you refer? A report from scientists working with data from the Cryosat satellite indicated that unlike Arctic extents which have experienced a minor rebound (a little less negative, so to speak), the total volume of Arctic ice has continued to decline. Westwall posted extents data and made the claim that NSIDC had reported the ice volume was at its highest level in years. I saw no such statement in the material he posted and he has been unable to find such a comment from any authority as of this writing.

The 'denialists' here and elsewhere have been very heartened by the hiatus in rising atmospheric temperatures. That increased warming in the ocean compensates for that change and that above and beyond it all, the ToA imbalance HAS NOT CHANGED, makes all this hoopla more than a little crumbly in the basement.

until recently when 'the pause' was acknowledged, many alarmists like Old Rocks and much of the media were stating that warming was not only continuing but rapidly accelerating. nonsense of course but when I pointed out that they were confusing 'warm' with 'warming', they would simply say that ,"the ten warmest years on record have happened in the last fifteen years, blah, blah, blah". the record 1998 El Nino caused a step change, it reset the thermostat to a higher level. there has only been natural variation around the new setting. it would involve major cooling to bring the global temp back down to older average temps.

Air temperatures were climbing rapidly before the 98 El Nino. If you believe it has stopped the Earth's accumulation of thermal energy, could you explain how?

sea ice extent had the same '1998 El Nino type moment' in 2007 when storms and conditions managed to blow most of the ice out of the Arctic. if you lose most of the 5 yr ice in a particular year, you cannot get it back for at least 5 yrs! 2012 also had storms and conditions that blew much of the ice out into warmer waters. ice formation is a function of present conditions. total ice and age of ice is a function of past conditions. the air flow patterns and the occurence of particular types of storms are far more important to the summer survival of ice than the surface air temp or even the ocean water temp.

The multi-year ice of all levels had been disappearing at least since the satellite record began. It was not all lost in some catastrophic year of bad weather.

I may be slow here, but it just occurred to me that future parents will have a problem maintaining that Santa keeps his workshop at the North Pole when the whole place goes all wat-ry every summer. Hmm.... have to think about that.

The hiatus has been ongoing for 15 years. If warming has actually stopped, there's been plenty of opportunity for a rebound in ice extent and volume. The problem, however, is that warm water has a far greater effect on ice melt than does warm air. The shunt of solar energy into the oceans lain on top of the increased direct solar heating from loss of albedo, has provided plenty of warmer water to facilitate continued melting.

when it comes down to CO2 impact on polar temperatures, the theories are incorrect.

Ahh... I guess we should have known.

the south pole should have the biggest temp spike because CO2 influence is bigger at lower temperatures but Antartica is showing no warming except in the seismically active penninsula and western area which is also impacted by slightly warmer ocean currents. for every piece of evidence that seems to support CO2 theory there are at least as many pieces of counter evidence that are being ignored.

You realize you are attempting to counter a number of theories dating back to the beginning of AGW-driven climate modeling. Increased snowfall in East Antarctica has been predicted by virtually every global warming model ever made. Both the growth of sea ice and the dramatically increased loss of land ice from Western Antarctica are, IMHO, due to losses of sea ice that uncorked the glacial flow of the ice sheet. The ice, at a dramatically accelerated rate, is sliding off the continent and into the ocean where it forms new shelf. Unfortunately, the Southern Ocean has been warming faster than any other piece of water on the planet and continues to warm. In the long run this will lead to increased melt and break up of the ice shelf. But, for now, increased precipitation (the same precip causing all that build up ashore) creates a lower density layer at the surface, slowing the normal (max rho @ 4C) overturn and enabling increased amounts of freezing.

The ozone hole also impacts atmospheric processes allowing increased cooling in the stratosphere. It also alters the wind patterns leading to a rotation which tends to spread the ice, increasing area and opening polynyas subject to more freezing.

The system is complex. Unwarranted simplification will not move us towards a true picture.

Last edited:
How about ozone hole causes stratospheric cooling which causes increased winds which bring water vapor from the warm Southern Ocean inland to fall as the fluffy white stuff.

Or maybe it's because it at the bottom and everything just tends to flow downhill.

Yeah, it's at the bottom...

The Antarctic land mass is one. The lesser land masses between the Antarctic and the equator struck me as another. There Antarctic is a land mass surrounded by ocean while the Arctic is an ocean surrounded by land mass.

It would seem that the Antarctic has more potential for percipitation from all that ocean nearer the equator than the Arctic has being surrounded by warmer land masses.

And, without having gone back to look at it, I suspect that the difference in ocean currents is a factor.

Yeah, it's at the bottom...

The Antarctic land mass is one. The lesser land masses between the Antarctic and the equator struck me as another. There Antarctic is a land mass surrounded by ocean while the Arctic is an ocean surrounded by land mass.

It would seem that the Antarctic has more potential for percipitation from all that ocean nearer the equator than the Arctic has being surrounded by warmer land masses.

And, without having gone back to look at it, I suspect that the difference in ocean currents is a factor.

I heard Samuel Clemens sojourned to the very far south once upon a time and is reported to have observed that "The coldest winter I've ever spent was a summer in Antarctica"

;-)

Note: just looked this up and it turns out that Twain never gave that line about cold San Francisco summers.

Actually, I was originally intending to tie that into rainy areas of the world such as San Francisco and points north and the equivalent regions of northern Europe, but I got lost.

So... what is this thread supposed to be about?

Last edited:
This year was quite unexpected. I'd guess after a negative anomaly we're going to get a positive one ;)

You can see that in the record. Every record low is followed by a large rebound.

Of course the real thing to watch, as I know you know, is the ice volume or mass. That has continued to decline at a wicked rate and is much lower than the extents (thinner and thinner every year) might lead you to think.

Doesn't exactly firm up that positive extents record, does it. It think we're looking at a growing expanse of ice that wouldn't hold up a sea bird.

BPIOMASIceVolumeAnomalyCurrentV2.png

Down 3,200 cubic kilometers every decade. For the current extent of rougly 10 million kilometers for the entire Arctic, that's a loss of 32 cm (just over a foot) of ice/decade. Yeah, tell the polar bears not to worry.

Last edited:
Kosh prove it....

The entire reason this season SUCKED was because there wasn't any high pressure. Kind of like 2008.

And there is the loose lips admission of what this thread is REALLY ABOUT..
A bunch of AGW fans hanging around in their polar bear ballcaps getting high because the HOME TEAM

"SUCKED"

this season.. Damn those Yankee Icebergs.. We'll get them next year..
Slightly sick.. Really... But thanks for insight Matthew...

Going to get some drinks and goodies as I watch 2014 kick ass and call names ;) Of course this in between chasing storms.

Is not "drinks", "goodies", and "chasing storms", non-essential activities, as in stuff you do not need to do, hence, you are wasting energy, you are destroying the environment for simple pleasures.

You are a hypocrite, wasting energy for frivolous pleasure.

CO2 does NOT drive climate.

And if Bachman said it it must be true. What an idiot you both are.

Simple experiment you can do to test this, place a plastic bag over your head and breathe normally. As you deplete the air and replace it with CO2 does it feel warmer? ...Oh ya, and make sure you tell someone you're gonna do this. World needs its idiots to make everyone else look good by comparison.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back