2012 Vice Presidential Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Election Forums' started by Sarah G, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Oldstyle

Oldstyle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,745
    When Raddatz looks back on that night, I think she'll be chagrined to realize that she lost control of the proceedings and allowed Joe Biden turn a debate into a mockery of debate.

Position and policy took a back seat to "antics"...and the American people are the worse for it.

2. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,971
    That is assuming that Raddatz wasn't in on the shenanigans. Because of the way she was so quick to cut off and interrupt Ryan but made no attempt to rein in Biden, I have no such confidence that she wasn't also instructed on that. She probably is embarrassed at how badly she came off, but I'm sure she will be properly rewarded for her dutiful performance. Okay, I hope I'm wrong, but after watching so much of this stuff, I have a huge stripe of cynicism down my back these days.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  3. Oldstyle

Oldstyle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,745
    The Obama Campaign doesn't have the need for "shenanigans", Foxie...they know only too well that the moderators in ALL these debates are already predisposed to their views. When Martha Raddatz demands "details" from Paul Ryan but doesn't ask the same of Joe Biden then it's obvious that she went into that debate with the mindset that Ryan/Romney's tax plan isn't viable because it's not set in stone how it will be finalized. Where was the demand for details about how just a tax on the wealthy will pay for all of the additional entitlements that Obama/Biden have promised? Ryan correctly pointed out that taking ALL of the earnings of the 1% would only fund government for 90 days while it would cause our economy to crater but Raddatz didn't demand details from Biden on how their plan was going to decrease the deficit.

4. Oldstyle

Oldstyle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,745
    And I think Martha Raddatz started the night determined that as soon as Ryan brought up his 20% tax that she was going to immediately jump in and demand specifics...which she did even though it meant cutting off Paul Ryan in mid-sentence as he was trying to explain how those cuts would work.

That eagerness is indicative of the mind set that the moderator had going in...if she'd REALLY been neutral she would have let Ryan finish his statement and then ask a follow up question seeking more specific answers.

5. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42,274
    She did as good a job as she could have done with him.

You all are whining about JoebeingJoe, and what should have been done.

Not one of you would have done a thing.

6. JakeStarkey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42,274
    I watched the same debate you all did, and Martha did a good job.

You are being homers and it shows.

7. Oldstyle

Oldstyle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,745
    You know what, Jake...my late father was the Town Meeting Moderator for many years in the Massachusetts town I grew up in. I've seen him oversee some extremely contentious debates over some explosive topics and I can guarantee you that he would have NEVER stood for what Joe Biden was doing on that stage. I would have done what I've witnessed my father do countless times...namely stop the proceedings and warn all those involved that we were there to conduct important business for the voters and that disruptive behavior would not be tolerated. THAT is first and foremost the most important thing that a moderator DOES and on that, Martha Raddatz fell woefully short.

8. JakeStarkey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42,274
    I agree, Grampa. Ryan could have knocked out Biden, and the MR campaign could have moved into the majority in the swing states.

So here we are, another darn debate to go.

The GOP should have had this campaign by 15 points, but here we are having to gut it out because America remembers Bush, Iraq, and the far extremist right.

I hate this, what the extremist and neo-con wings have brought the GOP to.

9. JakeStarkey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42,274
    I am sure you father would have done the right thing.

I am equally sure that none of this board, including you, could have stopped Joe.

10. Oldstyle

Oldstyle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,745
    All it would have taken was for Martha Raddatz to put up her hand...look Joe Biden dead in the eyes and say: "Mr Vice President...this is a debate about the future of the country...it's isn't a laughing matter. Please respect the venue and the American people."

I guarantee you that Joe Biden would have folded like a tent.