200,000 Americans Killed Every Year by Prescription Drugs

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by peace2011, Jun 27, 2011.

1. peace2011

peace2011 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Prescription drugs kill some 200,000 Americans every year. Will that number go up, now that most clinical trials are conducted overseas—on sick Russians, homeless Poles, and slum-dwelling Chinese—in places where regulation is virtually nonexistent, the F.D.A. doesn’t reach, and “mistakes” can end up in pauper’s graves? The authors investigate the globalization of the pharmaceutical industry, and the U.S. Government’s failure to rein in a lethal profit machine.

Deadly Medicine | Politics | Vanity Fair

Death by Medicine

I have also read that Americans take about 80% of psycotic drugs in the world. Are americans weak? hypochondriacs?

Americans take 80 percent of all prescription painkillers taken in the world.

2. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    It is a good thing we are not importing cheaper drugs from abroad.

3. Seawytch

Seawytch Information isnt Advocacy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,043
    So Prescription drugs kill people...alert the press.

Thanks to the recent ruling by the right wing tilting SCOTUS, you can't sue the makers of generic drugs that fail to tell you the dangers of their products either. Ain't that grand?

4. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    but lets blame high costs on the people who sue this frauds...that is easier for people than realizing how dangerous 'approved' druges are

5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    I don't take any pills and I'm an aging American.

I am constantly astounded by how many different drugs people my age seem to be taking on advice of their doctors.

Either I was blessed with a remarkably heathy body, or the average American is being seriously over proscribed.

But I do have a theory based on what happened to me once when I'd pulled a muscle in my back.

I went to the ER because the pain was awful and just want to be sure the damage wasn't something serious and permanent.

AFter they xrayed me they told me there was no structural damage and that I'd pilled some mucles.

Then they gave me a script for OXI for the pain.

Had I taken those drugs as proscribed, I'd have been kicking my new OXI addiction when that script (for 20 hits?!?! PRN!!!) ran out.

Here in Maine (home of the Whitest and one of the poorest populations in America, incidently) the NUMBER ONE DRUG PROBLEM IS LEGALLY PROSCRIBED PAINKILLERS.

6. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,881
    Drug-dependent babies need cuddlers...
    :eusa_eh:
    Jump in drug-dependent babies a worrying trend
    Tue, May 14, 2013 - He is less than two weeks old, but he has the telltale signs of a baby in pain: a sore on his chin where he has rubbed the skin raw, along with a scratch on his cheek. He suffers from so many tremors that nurses watch him around the clock in case he starts seizing, or stops breathing.

7. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,792
    In the last couple of years the ad agency people have been promoting prescription drugs in the media but (thank God) they are forced to include the "side effects" of the drug they are hawking to cure the latest pet disease. Watch out for the words "fatal episodes have been reported". For the low information group, you are allowed only one fatal episode.

8. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,395
    Have you or someone you know died from...
    LOL just love hearing that one on TV