$2.3 Million for a Wind Turbine that Doesn't Work!

OP- So WTF is wrong with it lol? As usual, more propaganda than news...Here in Wyoming County, WNY, we have 200 of these, over 400 ft tall, they work fine, and the birds are fine...PFFFFFT!

You monitor all of the birds that fly through the sea of turbines? Really? Not a single bird is ever hit by one of those propellers? Are the birds of Wyoming earthbound or simply wiser than other birds?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NAAzBArYdw]Bird vs Wind Turbine FAIL ! - YouTube[/ame]

Another eagle bites the dust. Thanks you eco freaks.
nobody's seen any, and believe me there's plenty of dupes looking lol...:badgrin:

OP- So WTF is wrong with it lol? As usual, more propaganda than news...Here in Wyoming County, WNY, we have 200 of these, over 400 ft tall, they work fine, and the birds are fine...PFFFFFT!

You monitor all of the birds that fly through the sea of turbines? Really? Not a single bird is ever hit by one of those propellers? Are the birds of Wyoming earthbound or simply wiser than other birds?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NAAzBArYdw]Bird vs Wind Turbine FAIL ! - YouTube[/ame]

Another eagle bites the dust. Thanks you eco freaks.
nobody's seen any, and believe me there's plenty of dupes looking lol...:badgrin:

What? That bird committed suicide as clear as day! That is one stupid bird!

Folks, a considerable number of derailing posts have been cleaned from this thread. Per Zone 2 rules: Each post must contain content relevant to the thread subject, in addition to any flame. No trolling. No hit and run flames. No hijacking or derailing threads.

This means that while there is plenty of incidents of wasted money, there is no logical way to tie in a discussion of dead birds and wind turbines with foreign wars and past presidents with out derailing the thread. So...discuss the topic please :)

More nuclear
More research in fusion
More solar for your roof! ;)
More research into long range batteries.

I can certainly live with the idea of clean energy and developing sensible solutions but wind turbines are a bad idea in my opinion.

1) They don't really create enough energy to justify the cost of erection and maintenance.
2) They're a major eyesore and blight on America's open spaces.
3) As pictured above, they're detrimental to Eagles, Owls, Geese, and other migratory birds.

They're just a really bad idea.

BUILD MORE WINDMILLS!!!

Screw the birds! Who needs them? Who misses dodo birds, passenger pigeons and pterodactyls?

Don't we have an absolutely wonderful without them?

Fuck the bald eagles too! Let em' die. Fucking birds! Little dinosaurs with wings. We all saw Jurassic Park and all the silly sequels. These bastards have it coming!

First and foremost, more birds, small and raptors, are killed on the roads that are alongside many of the wind farms than are killed by the wind turbines.

Second, there are many windfarms that are producing just as planned.

Wind power in Iowa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Iowa is a leading U.S. state in wind power generation with 27.4% of the state's electricity generation coming from wind in 2013.[1][2] At the end of 2013, wind power in Iowa had 5,137 megawatts (MW) of capacity, third only to Texas and California.[3]
Nearly $10 billion has been invested in Iowa's wind power projects and manufacturing facilities.[4]

Wind power in Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wind power in Texas consists of many wind farms with a total installed nameplate capacity of 12,212 MW[1] from over 40 different projects. Texas produces the most wind power of any U.S. state.[1] The wind boom in Texas was assisted by expansion of the state’s Renewable Portfolio Standard, use of designated Competitive Renewable Energy Zones, expedited transmission construction, and the necessary Public Utility Commission rule-making.[2] Wind power accounted for 8.3% of the electricity generated in Texas during 2013.[3]

The wind turbines could work if they built a bird proof metal screen around it....but that costs money and they are all about profit, not safety of animals.

The wind would still blow through the screen but screen could be tight enough to prevent birds from flying in and in reality would deter them since they would see a physical structure compared to "open air" before the blade comes slicing through.

True but they're still a huge eyesore and I don't believe that they produce enough usable energy to justify the cost of erection and maintenance. But I could be wrong. Perhaps they've improved efficiency.

Wind turbines hardly even show on the graph of causes of bird mortality;

Causes of Bird Mortality « Sibley Guides

And we already know how much the "Conservatives" care about birds. They are still whining and bitching because we outlawed DDT.

If those numbers are correct then we can assume that they will grow as more turbines are erected. I thought environmentalists were all about hugging trees and saving wildlife. I wonder where PETA's outrage is.

The wind turbines could work if they built a bird proof metal screen around it....but that costs money and they are all about profit, not safety of animals.

The wind would still blow through the screen but screen could be tight enough to prevent birds from flying in and in reality would deter them since they would see a physical structure compared to "open air" before the blade comes slicing through.

True but they're still a huge eyesore and I don't believe that they produce enough usable energy to justify the cost of erection and maintenance. But I could be wrong. Perhaps they've improved efficiency.

What you believe, and what the reality is, are to very differant things. Over 25% of the electricity used in Iowa last year was from wind turbines. Over 12 % of the power generated in Oregon last year was from wind.

What you believe, and what the reality is, are to very differant things. Over 25% of the electricity used in Iowa last year was from wind turbines. Over 12 % of the power generated in Oregon last year was from wind.

That's a significant and sizable amount - one quarter of the electricity. From a one-time investment, with minimal ongoing maintenance costs. It will pay for itself in no time, and be free energy after that. I say double the capacity, and keep improving the technology.

Why are wingnuts against this?

And we already know how much the "Conservatives" care about birds. They are still whining and bitching because we outlawed DDT.

Outlawing DDT resulted and keeps on being the reason of thousands of Africans dying of malaria.

So what! People dying ain't worth "whining and bitching" about, right, Old Rocks?

Would of been better spent on real research ;) Wind will never outside of the windier areas of this country make up more then a few percentage of energy needs.

So? A percentage or two here or there, pretty soon you are talking about decent gigawatts. Obviously when you have an easy next century of natural gas already scoped out it doesn't matter all that much, but it is nice to know we have plenty of the cleaner fossil fuel around to meet demand.

Liberal think tank has come up with a way to eliminate all the noise and threats to birds from these noisy meat grinders.

They want legislation to allocate federal money to locate all wind generating machines underground in abandoned coal mines.

That's a significant and sizable amount - one quarter of the electricity. From a one-time investment, with minimal ongoing maintenance costs. It will pay for itself in no time, and be free energy after that. I say double the capacity, and keep improving the technology.

Why are wingnuts against this?

Simple --- It doesn't increase reliable grid capacity.. It is not reliable, it's output has to backed up by another generator, and it's maintenance heavy..

This is what the daily production of a well-sited OFFSHORE wind farm looks like..

flacaltenn-albums-charts-picture3658-production-per-day-1.jpg

The RATED output of that wind field is at the 400,000 line.. That's what they PAID for.. Next time you hear a wind fanatic brag about how much wind power is installed --- remember that chart..

You cannot build a modern society on power sources with that type of output..
Don't care if Iowa 25% of it's power from wind.. That doesn't mean they tore down a single Fossil plant as a result of that production.. What matters is TODAY , between 11AM and 2PM --- how much did it produce??

If I could only harness a lightning bolt -- I could power my home for 19 months.. Good Luck running a surgical suite with that approach Dr Frankenstein..

Outlawing DDT resulted and keeps on being the reason of thousands of Africans dying of malaria.

So what! People dying ain't worth "whining and bitching" about, right, Old Rocks?

Perhaps you are just stupid and not purposely lying. Then again, you may be one of our "Conservatives". DDT is being used in Africa and India when there are no alternatives.

Should DDT Be Used to Combat Malaria? - Scientific American

In many African countries, as well as India and North Korea, the pesticide is sprayed inside homes and buildings to kill mosquitoes that carry malaria.

Malaria is one of the world's most deadly diseases, each year killing about 880,000 people, mostly children in sub-Saharan Africa, according to the World Health Organization.

The 15 environmental health experts, who reviewed almost 500 health studies, concluded that DDT "should be used with caution, only when needed, and when no other effective, safe and affordable alternatives are locally available."

We cannot allow people to die from malaria, but we also cannot continue using DDT if we know about the health risks," said Tiaan de Jager, a member of the panel who is a professor at the School of Health Systems & Public Health at the University of Pretoria in South Africa. "Safer alternatives should be tested first and if successful, DDT should be phased out without putting people at risk."

The scientists reported that DDT may have a variety of human health effects, including reduced fertility, genital birth defects, breast cancer, diabetes and damage to developing brains. Its metabolite, DDE, can block male hormones.

"Based on recent studies, we conclude that humans are exposed to DDT and DDE, that indoor residual spraying can result in substantial exposure and that DDT may pose a risk for human populations," the scientists wrote in their consensus statement, published online today in the journal Environmental Health Perspectives.

Would of been better spent on real research ;) Wind will never outside of the windier areas of this country make up more then a few percentage of energy needs.

So? A percentage or two here or there, pretty soon you are talking about decent gigawatts. Obviously when you have an easy next century of natural gas already scoped out it doesn't matter all that much, but it is nice to know we have plenty of the cleaner fossil fuel around to meet demand.

Using geo-thermal, wind, and solar, we can easily power this nation. But it will take a new grid and some effective grid scale storage.

Using geo-thermal, wind, and solar, we can easily power this nation. But it will take a new grid and some effective grid scale storage.

REALLY?? Geo-thermal and wind is gonna carry the night load? Even WITH grid storage which would be an enviro disaster at that scale.. When the wind doesn't blow you're not gonna draw enough night power to light anything above the Mason-Dixon line..

Forum List

Back