longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
The Las Vegas Review/Journal ran this article in today's edition:

Posted March 30, 2014 - 12:01am
EDITORIAL: Nevada prepares for arrival of fracking

And here's what really caught my attention –

Nevada would already be part of the fracking revolution if not for the fact that Washington owns more than 80 percent of the entire state.

Read more @ EDITORIAL: Nevada prepares for arrival of fracking | Las Vegas Review-Journal

To hell with fracking in Nevada (otherwise known as the state with near zero oil and gas potential) I say we reactivate Yucca Mountain!

REALLY solve the nations long term energy issues, give us this good place to store the wastes and then build out nukes!!

RGR, the federal government already has a storage facility that has the capacity to store all of the spent fuel we have or will generate for the next thousand years. And furthermore, the locals are not opposed, as they are in Nevada (stupidly, of course, but they are opposed).

The place is called WIPP. You could look it up if you wanted to be informed on this issue.

RGR, the federal government already has a storage facility that has the capacity to store all of the spent fuel we have or will generate for the next thousand years. And furthermore, the locals are not opposed, as they are in Nevada (stupidly, of course, but they are opposed).

The place is called WIPP. You could look it up if you wanted to be informed on this issue.

What's wrong with Yucca Mountain? I have no objection to New Mexico either, but WIPP apparently isn't allowed to take in low level spent fuel from commercial reactors.

And not everyone agrees with your assessment of "all the spent fuel we have or will generate..." which is why Yucca Mountain matters as well.

Spent Nuclear Fuel: A Trash Heap Deadly for 250,000 Years or a Renewable Energy Source? - Scientific American

You mean the place that just got shut down because of a bunch of leaky barrels,that place?

They think it will be over a year before its back on line.

Waste Isolation Pilot Plant

Come on guys. You are supposed to be internet-savvy. Look it up.

Yucca Mountain will never have the support of the locals. Harry Reid has convinced everyone on that side of Nevada that there is DANGER in storing spent fuel there, and they are just thrilled as can be that they can simply thumb their noses at Washington, D.C. (which is to say, we, the taxpayers, who spent tens of billions developing Yucca Mt), and tell them to go fuck themselves. It's stupid, but it is what it is. There are other sites that are better and where the locals support it, not only in New Mexico, but also other places as well. Yucca Mountain is dead.

TANGENT: I went to Yucca Mountain a couple years ago. My son was writing an article on nuclear waste storage and we decided to see how close we could get to the actual site. We encountered a tall, chain-link fence topped with concertina wire and carrying threatening signs with the government equivalent of Mr Yuk stickers on them. There was a trailer on the inside, a couple hundred yards away from the conspicuously-locked gate. We stood there for a while, blew our horn and tried to get someone's attention, but no dice. I pissed on the fence. It was not electrified (lucky me). We walked along the fence for a couple hundred yards and found that IT JUST ENDED! Had we wanted to get in, we could have just walked around the fence! But we were told that the gate to the actual storage facility was still more than 20 miles away .

Waste Isolation Pilot Plant

Come on guys. You are supposed to be internet-savvy. Look it up.

We did. And then provided references for why your statement was wrong, certainly it doesn't take everything, and can't take everything.

DGS49 said:
Yucca Mountain will never have the support of the locals. Harry Reid has convinced everyone on that side of Nevada that there is DANGER in storing spent fuel there, and they are just thrilled as can be that they can simply thumb their noses at Washington, D.C. (which is to say, we, the taxpayers, who spent tens of billions developing Yucca Mt), and tell them to go fuck themselves. It's stupid, but it is what it is. There are other sites that are better and where the locals support it, not only in New Mexico, but also other places as well. Yucca Mountain is dead.

Yuccas Mountain is unpopular...according to your explanation. That doesn't make it dead, and such unpopularity is as irrelevant in the face of an energy crisis as the fate of the caribou were in stopping the TransAlaskan pipeline to Prudhoe Bay in the 70's. One decent price shock and such things suddenly become meaningless.

Someone deciding that nukes are the solution to power the EV future of commuting Americans and presto....Yucca mountain goes back into the system.

Forum List

Back