1989 Marlin Model 60

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked this one up today.....It's just your average 34 year old Model 60 .22 but with a bit of a twist.....The sights.

ho 014 (2).JPG

Someone installed a set of vintage Redfield 22 Sharpshooter sights on it. Easily worth about the same as the rifle.

ho 015 (2).JPG

I picked this one up today.....It's just your average 34 year old Model 60 .22 but with a bit of a twist.....The sights.

View attachment 783465

Someone installed a set of vintage Redfield 22 Sharpshooter sights on it. Easily worth about the same as the rifle.

View attachment 783466
.22 rimfire has always been my favorite rifle

And I’ve owned quite a few over the years

Some of which now regret mot holding on to

The Marlin in a great rifle

View attachment 783465

View attachment 783466

Want some fun some time? Try disassembling a Model 80 trigger group and reassembling it without coming up short on parts or having parts left over.
:laughing0301:

.22 rimfire has always been my favorite rifle

And I’ve owned quite a few over the years

Some of which now regret mot holding on to

The Marlin in a great rifle
Oddly enough I have several variations of the Model 60, mostly carbine versions but I never owned a straight-up Model 60. All the variations are excellent shooters.

The only thing you have to watch for on older ones is the recoil buffer and if you don't know what to look/feel for they are sort of a PITA to replace.

Oddly enough I have several variations of the Model 60, mostly carbine versions but I never owned a straight-up Model 60. All the variations are excellent shooters.

The only thing you have to watch for on older ones is the recoil buffer and if you don't know what to look/feel for they are sort of a PITA to replace.
I have never seen that problem

My rimfires are mostly in retirement now

I shoot air rifles most of the time today

Want some fun some time? Try disassembling a Model 80 trigger group and reassembling it without coming up short on parts or having parts left over.
:laughing0301:

Blah, it can't be any worse that a Marlin Levermatic, I put a new safety in one of those a couple weeks back. I actually had to get up and get away from it a while.

I have never seen that problem
You don't want it either.

It's almost a feel/hear type of thing. Pull the bolt handle as far back as you can and put the receiver next to your ear, if you hear a cracking sound as you pull back then you got a bad buffer.

Sometimes you can feel for it when the bolt handle is retracted and it will feel "mushy".

Blah, it can't be any worse that a Marlin Levermatic, I put a new safety in one of those a couple weeks back. I actually had to get up and get away from it a while.

Did it have two or three spare parts in the action that spring out, bounce across the floor, and disappear forever? :laughing0301:

I stack the Starlings every winter with my old Diana 34. ;)
I’m into PCP all Crosman

But the Germans make good rifles

Or at least they used to

Recently they started making some of their rifles in china and that does not work for me

I have a model 60 myself. The rules here in Florida won't let me hunt with it but I love shooting it. I found this video this fellow picked up some nice shotguns at a gun show. I am not much for buying at gun shows but I might take a chance after seeing this video.

I have a model 60 myself. The rules here in Florida won't let me hunt with it but I love shooting it. I found this video this fellow picked up some nice shotguns at a gun show. I am not much for buying at gun shows but I might take a chance after seeing this video.

Why can't you hunt small game in FL with a .22 semi-auto?

As far as "coach guns, I've owned several over the years and found them mostly meh, and sold/traded them off.

Why can't you hunt small game in FL with a .22 semi-auto?

As far as "coach guns, I've owned several over the years and found them mostly meh, and sold/traded them off.
It holds 14 rounds You have to hunt with one that holds less I am not sure of the details I will look it up.

Likely 15 rounds. Marlin went from a 18 to a 15 rd tube on the M-60 due to some NJ law.

Prohibited methods and equipment for taking game mammals and resident game birds​

• This document doesn’t address or advise persons as to local ordinances prohibiting the discharge of firearms or as to the validity of such ordinances.
  • Centerfire semi-automatic rifles having magazine capacities of more than five rounds.
  • Nonexpanding full metal case (military ball) ammunition for taking deer.
  • Firearms using rimfire cartridges for taking deer.
  • Fully automatic firearms.
They consider center fire and semi automatic as two separate things even though there is no comma there. I thought that ment only center fire rifles but it dosent.

Prohibited methods and equipment for taking game mammals and resident game birds​

• This document doesn’t address or advise persons as to local ordinances prohibiting the discharge of firearms or as to the validity of such ordinances.
  • Centerfire semi-automatic rifles having magazine capacities of more than five rounds.
  • Nonexpanding full metal case (military ball) ammunition for taking deer.
  • Firearms using rimfire cartridges for taking deer.
  • Fully automatic firearms.
Seems like you are GTG for small game. I don't know of any state that allows deer hunting with a .22.

About the only exception I know of is if you have a damage permit issued by the bunny police where any method is allowed.

They consider center fire and semi automatic as two separate things even though there is no comma there. I thought that ment only center fire rifles but it dosent.

They differentiate center fire semi-automatics, from rim fire semi-automatics. .22's don't have the same ammo restrictions as the big guns.

18 in the tube, one in the chamber.
What year was "the change"? I know mine held 18+1 in 1982. That was the "squirrel handle" model.

The stock was beautiful.

Another thing I remember is that other .22s might cycle Thundercraps, but Model 60s do not.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back