19 polls show voters want taxes on wealthy raised

But....but.....it is the wealthy who give us ......Jobs

If we raise their taxes they will get mad and fire us all

Just because they are mad? Brilliant. Do you realize:

1) Hmm...we take money out of businesses, and the businesses have to let people go. I don't get it, it must be because the owners were mad. That's all you can come up with?

2) Companies invest in project that create value. Now think about this, if you raise taxes, then projects that were profitable before the taxes were raised are no longer profitable enough to invest in. The owners then stop the project. Now, the tricky part. A test. What happens to the workers who worked on the project?

Get this one: if the majority of people in a society don't have enough money to spend on goods and services, it doesn't matter how much you let the very wealthy keep, because they aren't going to create new jobs unless there is someone to buy their product. Companies don't invest when they know nobody is buying. I don't care how much you cut their taxes, they'll just take the money and invest in places where people have money to spend, or they'll stash it away, which in fact is what an awful lot of companies are doing currently.

On the other hand, even if you tax the wealthy at higher rates, if they know there are buyers, they will still invest and create new businesses and new jobs, because those people like making money. This whole trickle down thing worked fine when tax rates were extremely high. Now that they are extremely low, it ain't working no more, and there is no more room to cut taxes. So we have a flippin mess, but what many of you want to do is take even more money out of the hands of the consumers and put it in the hands of the wealthy so they can continue to hoard it. Makes perfect sense to me, if you're rich.

Auditor::

This whole trickle down thing worked fine when tax rates were extremely high. Now that they are extremely low, it ain't working no more, and there is no more room to cut taxes. So we have a flippin mess, but what many of you want to do is take even more money out of the hands of the consumers and put it in the hands of the wealthy so they can continue to hoard it.

Don't want to take it out of ANYBODY's hands. Just want to KEEP it out of Congress's hands.. And we've also never EXCUSED such a high percentage of GDP from income tax as we have NOW with the flattening of the bottom brackets. Which means there's no voodoo LEFT to get money into the bottom other than blatant redistribution. That's where the political squabble gets fired up.

Besides -- fueling the economy from the bottom gets you naked consumption all right. But what the country NEEDS is innovation and technological regeneration. And THAT is stimulated from the top.

What do you want? More Chinese toasters in the stores? Or new robotic - artificial intelligience - nanotech - biotech methods to compete with cheap labor?

Broke my rule about posting on "polling" threads for this..

I'm soooo f'in tired of the "one note solution" to fixing everything being to "tax the rich". Here's what I want to do..

Rescind ALL the Bush Tax Cuts NOW!! That will have the same effect of really bad chemotherapy for the economy. Probably cause a major disruption. BUT ---

Then the leftists will have NOTHING LEFT TO CONTRIBUTE.. No ideas, No solutions, just dumbfounded stares.. No idea of how education, jobs, taxes, technology, regulation, and risk are inter-related. It would be worth it just to take pictures..

As if the rightists have any solutions. They got into office criticizing the left, but they have done ZIP.

The majority of Americans opposed Obamacare, think we should check ID at polls and stop illegal immigration. DO you think we should follow all polls or just the ones that give the answer you wanted?

Actually in a free country all men are equal. You will never achieve equality through the active pursuit of inequality.

Many people who opposed Obamacare opposed it because it gave in to too many concessions and did not go far enough. Those of you on the right use these figures to say that these people opposed it in theory.

But....but.....it is the wealthy who give us ......Jobs

If we raise their taxes they will get mad and fire us all

Just because they are mad? Brilliant. Do you realize:

1) Hmm...we take money out of businesses, and the businesses have to let people go. I don't get it, it must be because the owners were mad. That's all you can come up with?

2) Companies invest in project that create value. Now think about this, if you raise taxes, then projects that were profitable before the taxes were raised are no longer profitable enough to invest in. The owners then stop the project. Now, the tricky part. A test. What happens to the workers who worked on the project?

How about, we take some money out of businesses and they do not make quite as much profit and the country is in better shape for it?

Lefty-Buds::

If you're pissed about "trust fund babies" --- income tax brackets won't do the trick -- you need to fiddle with cap gains.

If you're pissed about "family dynasties" --- income tax brackets won't do the trick -- you need to fiddle with the death tax.

WHY you're pissed ---- escapes me. And it escapes the MILLIONS of dirt poor people who are also defending "the rich" for reasons you'll never apparently understand. In terms of ADDITIONAL collateral damage you''re talking about folks like the offensive line of the Cleveland Browns. Are they STEALING from you? Even if they suck at their $$mill jobs. What did the 1000 lottery jackpot winners last year do to deserve the sacking? Explain the fairness issue to me using Venus and Serena Williams.

I know we're getting jaded about collateral damage what with predator drones and all, but I'm wondering how much tolerance the left has for dinging FIRST GENERATION wealth bystanders like 30% of the Forbes 100 richest are.

A writer could be "the rich" (according to class warrior standards) ONE YEAR and be a chump the next.
So could a building contractor. Of course, they get to income average and carry-over losses and stuff.
So they wouldn't get punished by the raging mobs..

But how can something that fleeting be SOOOO irrating to the class warriors?

And I've got a different face for "the rich" than my lefty-buds.. How about Oprah? Does SHE piss you off? Want to lump HER with your silly robber-baron rhetoric? Honest HARD CORE class warriors will. Let's separate the warriors from the whiners..

Sure... her, Michael Moore, Bill Gates and all the rest. The difference is... those people know what's going on and are probably in favor of tax hikes.

By the way... I personally am not out to get a local building contractor making $250K... or even $500K. I want monopolies busted, I want Conglomerates cut up into manageable pieces that need to take on Competition directly, without the 200 other businesses that they are involved in protecting them against competition.

I want small business to thrive I want Huge businesses to choke on their excess. I want to clear cut the whole damned forest so that new growth can arise and make the system stronger.

But what I want isn't going to happen when our political system is inextricably bound to those large corporations come election time. So, I settle for what I can...

A Health Care system that allows people to get out from under the yoke of Big Business and with that particular risk(themselves, or someone in their family getting sick and losing everything) eliminated... creates a better atmosphere for someone to say "I can do this better" to go ahead and try to.

Social Security so that even if they do fail, they have a safety net that they've been paying into their whole lives and won't starve to death.

you know.... things like that.

Since the premise of this entire thread is that " the people" want it, according to Truthmatters, via a poll, should we also do what "the people" want via other polls? Like eliminate the right to an abortion? Voter ID required? Get rid of Obama care? End all the wars? Including Libya? Get rid of the EPA? Stop kowtowing to the warmists? ANd a host6 of other things?

Last I checked we do no't run our Country by what the polls say but rather elect Representatives based on Population that make the big decisions.

Isn't it telling that the Liberals want to just cite the polls they like when they want something?

Since the premise of this entire thread is that " the people" want it, according to Truthmatters, via a poll, should we also do what "the people" want via other polls? Like eliminate the right to an abortion? Voter ID required? Get rid of Obama care? End all the wars? Including Libya? Get rid of the EPA? Stop kowtowing to the warmists? ANd a host6 of other things?

Last I checked we do no't run our Country by what the polls say but rather elect Representatives based on Population that make the big decisions.

Isn't it telling that the Liberals want to just cite the polls they like when they want something?

Maybe you ought to check your polls... I checked only the abortion one... and you're wrong.

so before you assume that the polls are in your favor... you might want to take a look.

This nation's policies aren't decided by by POLLING the citizens, folks.

Such decisions are made by a very select group of players on K Street.

Billionaires are not my fellow Americans.

My fellow Americans are police, teachers, truck drivers, bank tellers, secretaries, nurses, and so on.

So now rich people aren't Americans. Why so bitter? Are you poor? :lol::lol:

I'm poor like you're rich.

I'm for the poor and the middle class because the country is built on the backs of the poor and the middle class.

You are for rich people who would spit on you if you got in their way.

Don't tell me what I'm 'for', idiot. I decide for me, you decide for you.... conservatives call that 'personal responsibility'. On the day that you donate what I donate to help those less fortunate, you might.... just might.... be able to comment on what I do. Until then, you can - respectfully - go fuck yourself.

Now, I'm logging off..... because this afternoon, I'm helping a young homeless girl learn computer skills. What are you doing?

The bills Reagan passed didn't raise more revenue by hiking individual income tax rates though. Instead they did it largely through making it tougher to evade taxes, and through reducing various federal tax breaks and closing tax loopholes.

Reagan tax increases and decreases.

RRTaxes.png

http://money.cnn.com/2010/09/08/news/economy/reagan_years_taxes/index.htm

Last edited:
Maybe its just me, but I know several very wealthy people locally. They ALL give a tremenous amount to charity. Is it really any wonder that many of the have-nots would lust after money? Bottom line, if you received the money legally, its yours and not mine. Otherwise its stealing and not justified by any well intentioned efforts to legally take it from someone.

Maybe its just me, but I know several very wealthy people locally. They ALL give a tremenous amount to charity. Is it really any wonder that many of the have-nots would lust after money? Bottom line, if you received the money legally, its yours and not mine. Otherwise its stealing and not justified by any well intentioned efforts to legally take it from someone.

Expecting people to contribute to the society that enabled them to gain wealth is not stealing

Expecting people to contribute to the society that enabled them to gain wealth is not stealing

They are. You just want them to bear a more disportional share. Got greed?

Forum List

Back