16 year-old mauled to death in fenced-in backyard, no charges filed

K9Buck

Platinum Member
Dec 25, 2009
Do you agree? I'm not sure that I do. It seems inconsistent.

So a 16 year-old climbs a fence to get into someone's back yard. He is attacked by three dogs and later dies from his wounds. From what I've read elsewhere, the owner won't be charged because the dogs were secured in his backyard.

Ok, I get that.

However, should jumping into someone's backyard be tantamount to a death sentence by mauling? In my view and experience, dogs that will attack like that should NOT be out loose, even in one's backyard. After all, what if the dog gets loose? What if a small child, somehow, gets into the yard with the dog(s)?

I guess I'm of the opinion that the owner should be charged. Now, if he had broken into the guy's home, that's a different story. How about you?

Police: Teen Killed After Gruesome Dog Attack

So a 16 year-old climbs a fence to get into someone's back yard. He is attacked by three dogs and later dies from his wounds. From what I've read elsewhere, the owner won't be charged because the dogs were secured in his backyard.

Ok, I get that.

However, should jumping into someone's backyard be tantamount to a death sentence by mauling? In my view and experience, dogs that will attack like that should NOT be out loose, even in one's backyard. After all, what if the dog gets loose? What if a small child, somehow, gets into the yard with the dog(s)?

I guess I'm of the opinion that the owner should be charged. Now, if he had broken into the guy's home, that's a different story. How about you?

He should not have been there.

Ok, I get that.

I would have to consider whether or not it would be legal to shoot the trespasser under those same circumstances. Local laws vary I’m sure. But if it would be legal to shoot the trespasser, I don’t see any reason to feel differently about the trespasser meeting his end by the dogs.

Ok, I get that.

Tragic way to go . . . riding out of existence on the Gravy Train. Technically the teen should have known better than to enter the lair of three aggressive canines. But, man eating dogs aren't very neighborly I suppose. Still, what the hell was the kid thinking? Did he have a Heracles complex? Did he think he could take on Cerberus? Now he's the one in Hades.

Simple solution. Teach your kids not to invade private property. Then you don't have to worry about people choosing to defend their private property.

Also, personally, I live with and help care for two disabled elderly relatives. We have a couple of German shepherds, so when weather allows, the only barrier separating my back yard from the inside of my house is a magnet screen that the dogs can pass through freely but flying bugs can't. In my opinion, hopping the fence into my back yard uninvited IS breaking into my home.

Apparently it is likely the boy was going to burglarize the property. This is what is believed to be true, but not provable. There was no other reason seen as to why he would climb over the fence and enter the premises.
The dogs did nothing wrong. The owner did nothing wrong.
It is a very bad tragedy, but the only person that caused it to happen was the teen boy himself.

I had cops come up to my yard while searching for a criminal. They knew he wasn't in my yard by the 2 barking, snarling dogs.

I never did get that girl a leather jacket with spikey studs, she was badass.

Unfortunately, this guy's dogs will probably get put down.

Ok, I get that.

He's hopping into a strangers backyard at 4:45am....hmmmm

Irrelevant and I'm disappointed but not surprised you would ask/think that. So now I can climb into a fenced off high tension power transformer area by the power company and they are to be sued because I got electrocuted to death? DAMN those power companies for not putting their power equipment 30 feet in the air on greased spiked poles with armed guards to keep people out who refuse to ignore high voltage warning signs!

And those evil dog people. Not enough they put up a high fence to keep their dogs contained, they should have them on short leashes in cages with muzzles on their faces as well in case someone not only breaks onto the property, but sticks their fat, sweaty fingers through the barking dog's cage. Come to think of it, dog owners should have a big canopy over their yards too in case someone tries to parachute in. At that point, why even bother having a yard much less letting the dogs out at all?

Blame lies solely on the stupid kid who despite hearing and seeing three big, aggressive dogs behind a high fence not only still climbed over anyway, but dropped down inside. That kid wasn't there going door to door selling magazine subscriptions, he took a gamble and lost. The dogs did their jobs protecting their property from a (to them) intruder and deserve just a pet and a treat for sparing us one less idiot future liberal who most likely would have done even dumber things as an adult. Maybe become a politician writing dumb pet laws. Nature has a way of weeding out those truly not worthy of surviving.

Last edited:

Ok, I get that.

If the kid jumped off a bridge would you blame the bridge? Any teen knows a fence is there to keep him out. Give him a Darwin award and move on.

If the dogs get loose or a small child gets mauled, that's on the owner for being irresponsible.

I had cops come up to my yard while searching for a criminal. They knew he wasn't in my yard by the 2 barking, snarling dogs.
Maybe your dogs had the criminal down and were chewing on his leg like a soup bone even as the police circled looking for him! :D

That would be a shame. The dogs did nothing wrong other than fulfill their function of guarding their yards. I guess the only question that begs answered is whether the property was marked BEWARE OF DOGS. I guess now in today's PC world, it has become illegal to have actual guard dogs that really guard.

Last edited:
If the kid jumped off a bridge would you blame the bridge? Any teen knows a fence is there to keep him out. Give him a Darwin award and move on.

If the dogs get loose or a small child gets mauled, that's on the owner for being irresponsible.

As I said in my OP, should it be tantamount to a death sentence for jumping a fence into someone's backyard? Look, I get that the kid was in the wrong, but I disagree that he deserved to be mauled to death. Obviously, most here don't share my view.

On another note, it's highly likely that NOBODY will insure that guy's property.

I never did get that girl a leather jacket with spikey studs, she was badass.

i bet your cat didn't give a fuck.

Ok, I get that.

The 16 year old was breaking the law by trespassing onto the property, and was killed because of it.

So in my opinion no the owner should not be charged but it will depend on the local, county and state laws and it seem the owner did not break any.

Now had the dogs killed the 16 year old in the street, then yes...

Ok, I get that.

I would investigate to find out more. If the neighbors had no issues with the dogs and they had no history of aggression then no I would not charge him with anything. If the dogs had prior issues and were a menace to the neighbors, if he had no warning signs I would charge him with manslaughter. If he did have warning signs, still no charges.

it's no different than if someone breaks into a home & gets killed by the homeowner who is protecting life & property ... the dogs are doing the same thing; they view the fence jumper as a threat to their alpha.

Forum List

Back