FBI continues the claim regarding phones.

SavannahMann

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2016
I read this story three days ago, and I have held onto it for a while trying to decide if I wanted to run with it. Obviously, I decided yes.

It just irks the FBI to no end that they cannot access all data everywhere. Minutes after the identity of the Dayton Mass Shooter was known, the FBI had his phones, and tried to access them. The FBI was successful with one, but the second one has a six digit passcode. The FBI immediately ran to Congress to complain that a dead man’s phone was inaccessible to them. This severely hampers the investigation.

The investigation into a dead man. The suspect is dead. Deceased. Room Temperature. Bereft of life. I am talking stone dead. The suspect was killed in the act by the Police. So there is little doubt that he was the one doing the shooting. There are no stories or any evidence of an accomplice. So what information do the Feds hope to get from the phone? What could they possibly hope to learn that would be worth ten minutes of effort much less the ”Months or years” required to access the phone? Why run to Congress with this?

FBI tells lawmakers it can't access Dayton gunman's phone

The FBI has for years now demanded that Congress pass a law requiring technology and software makers to put in a back door to the technology so that it can be accessed. Otherwise guilty people, can go free because the FBI can’t access the evidence.

Bullshit. Let’s explain it this way. You are a FBI agent. You arrive at my house with a Search Warrant. I am required to grant you access, unrestricted access, to my home. I am not required to walk you through the home and show you where I have hidden things. Finding it is YOUR problem. If I have buried evidence in the yard, and you don’t find it, that is your failure, not mine. That is exactly the way the Bill of Rights said it should be. I am not required to give evidence against myself, and I am not required to hold you hand and show you where I hid anything.

A phone is different they say. Nuts. Let’s say I have a safe in my home. As part of your search warrant you demand access to the safe. I wish you luck. If I don’t provide the combination, you will break into the safe. Go ahead I tell you.

While breaking in, a bottle is broken, and a pint of dye is dumped onto the papers, soaking them, and rendering them useless. There is no way to remove the dye. No way to get the information from the papers. It was your failure, not mine, that caused the information to be destroyed.

The Bill of Rights made it intentionally hard to prosecute someone. It was supposed to be hard. The Government is the one with unlimited resources, and infinite power. Those hurdles are intended to at least give the illusion of a level playing field. So the Government with all the power, doesn’t like that they don’t have unlimited power to make you confess, and surrender the evidence, and make their jobs easier. So the Government cheats that much more. When you are arrested, if you have money, the Feds will seize it all, so you can’t afford a really good lawyer who might win. They learned from the OJ trial. If the defendant has cash, he might actually win. The answer is to make sure the defendant is broke and homeless.

Guys, you have the phone. Getting into it is your problem. If in your effort, you manage to delete the information, that is your problem. A black door into any encryption or technology is a security flaw that will be exploited by not just you all, every chance you get, but every hacker on the planet. I say no to the security exploit and back door access. Especially since you have pretty much all the information already in one of your Black Sites which Vacuum up every bit of digital information flying around the web. Utah Data Center - Wikipedia

And that is just one such site. How many others do you have?

I read this story three days ago, and I have held onto it for a while trying to decide if I wanted to run with it. Obviously, I decided yes.

It just irks the FBI to no end that they cannot access all data everywhere. Minutes after the identity of the Dayton Mass Shooter was known, the FBI had his phones, and tried to access them. The FBI was successful with one, but the second one has a six digit passcode. The FBI immediately ran to Congress to complain that a dead man’s phone was inaccessible to them. This severely hampers the investigation.

The investigation into a dead man. The suspect is dead. Deceased. Room Temperature. Bereft of life. I am talking stone dead. The suspect was killed in the act by the Police. So there is little doubt that he was the one doing the shooting. There are no stories or any evidence of an accomplice. So what information do the Feds hope to get from the phone? What could they possibly hope to learn that would be worth ten minutes of effort much less the ”Months or years” required to access the phone? Why run to Congress with this?

FBI tells lawmakers it can't access Dayton gunman's phone

The FBI has for years now demanded that Congress pass a law requiring technology and software makers to put in a back door to the technology so that it can be accessed. Otherwise guilty people, can go free because the FBI can’t access the evidence.

Bullshit. Let’s explain it this way. You are a FBI agent. You arrive at my house with a Search Warrant. I am required to grant you access, unrestricted access, to my home. I am not required to walk you through the home and show you where I have hidden things. Finding it is YOUR problem. If I have buried evidence in the yard, and you don’t find it, that is your failure, not mine. That is exactly the way the Bill of Rights said it should be. I am not required to give evidence against myself, and I am not required to hold you hand and show you where I hid anything.

A phone is different they say. Nuts. Let’s say I have a safe in my home. As part of your search warrant you demand access to the safe. I wish you luck. If I don’t provide the combination, you will break into the safe. Go ahead I tell you.

While breaking in, a bottle is broken, and a pint of dye is dumped onto the papers, soaking them, and rendering them useless. There is no way to remove the dye. No way to get the information from the papers. It was your failure, not mine, that caused the information to be destroyed.

The Bill of Rights made it intentionally hard to prosecute someone. It was supposed to be hard. The Government is the one with unlimited resources, and infinite power. Those hurdles are intended to at least give the illusion of a level playing field. So the Government with all the power, doesn’t like that they don’t have unlimited power to make you confess, and surrender the evidence, and make their jobs easier. So the Government cheats that much more. When you are arrested, if you have money, the Feds will seize it all, so you can’t afford a really good lawyer who might win. They learned from the OJ trial. If the defendant has cash, he might actually win. The answer is to make sure the defendant is broke and homeless.

Guys, you have the phone. Getting into it is your problem. If in your effort, you manage to delete the information, that is your problem. A black door into any encryption or technology is a security flaw that will be exploited by not just you all, every chance you get, but every hacker on the planet. I say no to the security exploit and back door access. Especially since you have pretty much all the information already in one of your Black Sites which Vacuum up every bit of digital information flying around the web. Utah Data Center - Wikipedia

And that is just one such site. How many others do you have?
I agree. Just say no to big brother.

That phone could be gotten into.
Do you really think Google and Apple don't put backdoors into their OSes?

Pffft! :auiqs.jpg:

Forum List

Back