151 years ago today: Democrats founded and staffed the Ku Klux Klan

On Dec. 24, 1865, Democrats in the American South formed the Ku Klux Klan as a means of keeing uppity blacks in their place. They attacked the blacks, and any white Republicans who defended or support them, lynching and killing them when possible. Democrat support for, and membership in, the KKK continues to this day, with theDemocrat attacking, insulting, and pillorying blacks who dared to espouse viewpoints the Democrats disagree with.

-----------------------------------------------------------

KKK founded - Dec 24, 1865 - HISTORY.com

151 years ago KKK founded
December 24, 2016

In Pulaski, Tennessee, a group of Confederate veterans convenes to form a secret society that they christen the “Ku Klux Klan.” The KKK rapidly grew from a secret social fraternity to a paramilitary force bent on reversing the federal government’s progressive Reconstruction Era-activities in the South, especially policies that elevated the rights of the local African American population.

The name of the Ku Klux Klan was derived from the Greek word kyklos, meaning “circle,” and the Scottish-Gaelic word “clan,” which was probably chosen for the sake of alliteration. Under a platform of philosophized white racial superiority, the group employed violence as a means of pushing back Reconstruction and its enfranchisement of African Americans. Former Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest was the KKK’s first grand wizard; in 1869, he unsuccessfully tried to disband it after he grew critical of the Klan’s excessive violence.

Most prominent in counties where the races were relatively balanced, the KKK engaged in terrorist raids against African Americans and white Republicans at night, employing intimidation, destruction of property, assault, and murder to achieve its aims and influence upcoming elections. In a few Southern states, Republicans organized militia units to break up the Klan. In 1871, the Ku Klux Act passed Congress, authorizing President Ulysses S. Grant to use military force to suppress the KKK. The Ku Klux Act resulted in nine South Carolina counties being placed under martial law and thousands of arrests.
And now they support Donald Trump and hate President Obama. Funny how things change.

On Dec. 24, 1865, Democrats in the American South formed the Ku Klux Klan as a means of keeing uppity blacks in their place. They attacked the blacks, and any white Republicans who defended or support them, lynching and killing them when possible. Democrat support for, and membership in, the KKK continues to this day, with theDemocrat attacking, insulting, and pillorying blacks who dared to espouse viewpoints the Democrats disagree with.

December 24, 2016

In Pulaski, Tennessee, a group of Confederate veterans convenes to form a secret society that they christen the “Ku Klux Klan.” The KKK rapidly grew from a secret social fraternity to a paramilitary force bent on reversing the federal government’s progressive Reconstruction Era-activities in the South, especially policies that elevated the rights of the local African American population.

The name of the Ku Klux Klan was derived from the Greek word kyklos, meaning “circle,” and the Scottish-Gaelic word “clan,” which was probably chosen for the sake of alliteration. Under a platform of philosophized white racial superiority, the group employed violence as a means of pushing back Reconstruction and its enfranchisement of African Americans. Former Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest was the KKK’s first grand wizard; in 1869, he unsuccessfully tried to disband it after he grew critical of the Klan’s excessive violence.

Most prominent in counties where the races were relatively balanced, the KKK engaged in terrorist raids against African Americans and white Republicans at night, employing intimidation, destruction of property, assault, and murder to achieve its aims and influence upcoming elections. In a few Southern states, Republicans organized militia units to break up the Klan. In 1871, the Ku Klux Act passed Congress, authorizing President Ulysses S. Grant to use military force to suppress the KKK. The Ku Klux Act resulted in nine South Carolina counties being placed under martial law and thousands of arrests.
And now they support Donald Trump and hate President Obama. Funny how things change.
A lot of democrats voted Trump....

Conservative southerns angry about reconstruction after the civil war. Of course, I don't expect you republicans to understand basic political history.

"At the time of Ulysses S. Grant's election to the presidency, white supremacists were conducting a reign of terror throughout the South. In outright defiance of the Republican-led federal government, Southern Democrats formed organizations that violently intimidated blacks and Republicans who tried to win political power.

The most prominent of these, the Ku Klux Klan, was formed in Pulaski, Tennessee, in 1865. Originally founded as a social club for former Confederate soldiers, the Klan evolved into a terrorist organization. It would be responsible for thousands of deaths, and would help to weaken the political power of Southern blacks and Republicans."

WGBH American Experience . U.S. Grant: Warrior | PBS

Where's your evidence of your assertion that it Conservative Republicans founded the KKK? Or is just another of the Democrats attempts at historical revisionism?

I have shown you mine, now show me yours.

Who suggested Republicans formed the Klan?

There's no evidence of any political activities or affiliations for any of the founders of the KKK. Not in the original version and not in the 1915 one.

None except the killed blacks and republican whites helping out
Yep....the blacks klan democrats lynched were republicans......

They did, but they killed republican whites as well....it was the military wing of the democrat party.

Ku Klux Klan - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com

Democrat support for, and membership in, the KKK continues to this day

What the fuck?

Not some 151 years ago, but this year KKK endorsed a Republican nominee and now president elect - race baiting Trump.

So take your "Democrats are for KKK!" and shove up your little-acorn.

Slavery is something I've never been able to understand.
I guess I have a different mind set.
Rounding people up and putting them in chains and shipping them 4000 miles away is something I couldn't think up let alone try .

How about rounding up thousands of animals, shipping them off somewhere and then slaughtering them and sticking them in plastic and selling it to people? Can you think that one up?
my my equating slavery to cattle ranching.
Man dude you're ripped.

Slavery is something I've never been able to understand.
I guess I have a different mind set.
Rounding people up and putting them in chains and shipping them 4000 miles away is something I couldn't think up let alone try .

How about rounding up thousands of animals, shipping them off somewhere and then slaughtering them and sticking them in plastic and selling it to people? Can you think that one up?
my my equating slavery to cattle ranching.
Man dude you're ripped.

Yeah, there's a difference, cattle ranching leads to the direct death of life, whereas slavery they were put to work and then when they died they weren't consumed. Other than that, there's not much different.

It's ok. It's like the Crusades. What difference, at this point, does it make?

What difference does it make? Well it depends which part you're talking about.

No one alive today is responsible for things that happened 150 or 900 years ago.

Of course not. However people have a tendency to look back into the past and take offense at things in the past and make judgements based on the past.
Unless you are a bed wetting liberal then all whites are guilty today of slavery that ended over 150 years ago. They have stated it in no uncertain terms on campuses across this Country and in the Democratic party as well.

Which is not what I said or meant in any way.
Your party says it and liberals across the Country say it all the time.

The Confederate Flag is a symbol of State Rights, which has little to do with Slavery. It honors all of those who fought for their state rights, and apparently offends all of those who don't understand what the Civil War was about. Lots of good reasons to love the Confederate Flag.
The Confederate flag is a symbol of the TRAITORS who made WAR against the United States of America, its People and the Constitution! Your revision of history has no rational truth or validity in the real world!
It's not revision if it's accurate. They fought for state rights against a President who believed the government didn't have enough power.

The Confederate Flag is a symbol of State Rights, which has little to do with Slavery. It honors all of those who fought for their state rights, and apparently offends all of those who don't understand what the Civil War was about. Lots of good reasons to love the Confederate Flag.
The Confederate flag is a symbol of the TRAITORS who made WAR against the United States of America, its People and the Constitution! Your revision of history has no rational truth or validity in the real world!
It's not revision if it's accurate. They fought for state rights against a President who believed the government didn't have enough power.
It was all about slavery. And once again Southerners were duped by the greedy idiot rich, the slave owners/plantation owners...

December 24, 2016

Your link doesn't say Democrats founded the KKK. I see YOU saying it but your link doesn't. I think I might know why.

1. Would you agree that when southern states seceded from the union they were no longer Democrats? I think it is reasonable to say that in a legal as well as a technical sense. That is the basis for my premise.

2. The KKK was formed on December 24 1865 in Tennessee. But the people forming the KKK could not have been Democrats at the time because no states of the former confederacy had been readmitted to the union until 24 July.
1866. Confederate veterans, YES, but not Democrats.

3. The integrity of the Democratic Party was kept intact by northern democrats who had, in the years preceding the war, split into two factions: the copperheads who were sympathetic to the south and the War Democrats who took the diametrically opposite stance.

So to set the record straight, at least for now. Democrats didn't start the KKK. People who were not a part of the United States of America did.

Last edited:
Whoa! What an eye opener! It's the democrats who hate the negroes! Conservatives are the ones fighting for the rights of the blacks!! Man...why hasn't someone ever mentioned this before? This changes EVERYTHING!!

Whoa! What an eye opener! It's the democrats who hate the negroes! Conservatives are the ones fighting for the rights of the blacks!! Man...why hasn't someone ever mentioned this before? This changes EVERYTHING!!
News flash: Racial hatred is bipartisan. And, if you didn't know it, 19th Century democrat plantation owners were the epitome of American social conservatism. The republicans of that era were the social liberals.

News flash: Racial hatred is bipartisan. And, if you didn't know it, 19th Century democrat plantation owners were the epitome of American social conservatism. The republicans of that era were the social liberals.

What are you, some kind of sissy lib?

December 24, 2016

In Pulaski, Tennessee, a group of Confederate veterans c.

Actually a group of Confederate veterans started the KKK.

Yes- the Democratic Party is the party of the Confederate States.

That is why today when you see someone driving his pickup truck with the stars and bars painted on it, you know that driver must be a Democrat......

LOL

Forum List

Back