130,000 acres of MO farmland being sunk to save an Il slum

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Two Thumbs, May 3, 2011.

1. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    Levee on Mississippi is broken to protect town - Weather - msnbc.com

Missouri officials opposed the possible breach, saying it could inundate 130,000 acres of farmland and crush the region's economy and environment by possibly covering the land under feet of sand and silt and rendering it useless.

The ruling by Alito, who handles emergency requests from Missouri and various other Midwest states, came the same day all but 20 to 30 families in 2,800-resident Cairo were ordered out of the city and away from the Ohio, which eclipsed its 74-year-old record height was expected to rise further.

I lived in Cairo [Kay-row] in the late 80's. It was a dying crap hole then and it's been on a steady decline.

We are saving a slum, that no one would miss, to destroy 130,000 acres of farmland, in a time of increasing food prices. That just makes no sense.

On top of that, Cairo has a sink hole about 150 yards from a river, near an old part of the town.

Can anyone tell me why they decided to save this place over MO?

2. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,915
    Its part of the flood control plan by the army corps of engineers. That farmland was designated an emergency flood plain. and they are seeing at least 50 year, maybe 100 year flood levels, and this stuff hasnt even hit the lower mississipi yet.

The farmland will recover, the silt will probably help rejuvinate the soil. Cities are much harder to clean, and result in much nastier overflow water being added to the flood.

130,000 acres is not much when you consider the total areable land in the US.

This is going to get worse when it hits the lower mississipi, they may have to open flood gates/blast levees they havent resorted to in decades.

3. Claudette

Claudette Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,628
    Doesn't make any more sense then ruining acres of farmland in CA over a damned little minnow.

4. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    people mean nothing if they are poor huh?

BTW that minnow is a food source for how many other fish?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Two Thumbs

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    I think you are missing my concerns.

food cost is high, and this is in the Bread Baskett.
    Cairo is a slum, seriously, it was falling apart in '85, there as a big sink hole in one of the streets that was left there for 3 years b/c no one cared.

again, Cairo is a town of 1200

Thanks for letting me know MO is a flood plan to save Il.

6. Two Thumbs

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    uh, that region of MO is not deserted.

people live there also

but since they are farmers and their land is needed to feed the poor, they don't mean anything to you.

:cuckoo:

7. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    The residents of the town are black.

The farmers who will lose their homes and farms are white.

It's would be racist to destroy the welfare food stamp paradise hood.

So the productive farms must be sacrificed in order to apease the PC liberals.

8. Vanquish

Vanquish Vanquisher of shills

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +358
    Do you have any specifics about the use of the land...or are you just guessing because of what's normally grown in the area. Do you know if the land is in use for sure?

My great grandfather on my father's side was a farmer...out of a line of farmers stretching back a long time. Before he passed, I got to spend time with him as a kid out on one of our farms. He told me that a good farmer is prepared for anything, knows the rhythms of weather and land, and only has himself to depend on.

When you're between a rock and a hard place, what do you do? Just because you think a city is a slum, doesnt instantly mean that the people there are worthless. And make no mistake, that's what your post comes off as communicating.

I'm more likely to want to protect farmers given a bad situation, but if there are fewer farmers than city folk...AND the land is more easily fixed than the city/people in it...what criteria are you using to make your decision?

9. Two Thumbs

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    Not exactly.

Most of the farmers in MO are white. But Cairo is about a 50-50 mix of white-black. Mexicans make up a nominal number.

The whites are mostly well off old peole living in old homes, the gehtto is mostly black and the inner part of town is a mix.

but the whole town is very old and falling apart, and that was 25 years ago.

They'd be doing the poor a favor by re-locating them. The well off have insurance. [flood ins is required by law in IL, unless that's changed]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    Since the GOP jusy happened to NOT cut the Federal government farm subsidy programs in their budget recommendations, I am sure these 12 farmers will be just fine...