130,000 acres of MO farmland being sunk to save an Il slum

It would seem better to relocate those in the town than to destroy 130,000 acres of productive farm land. The Govt. is already using 15% of the national corn crop to push their ethanol program causing the price of beef and many other products to rise in price.This move is just another brick in the Obama agenda wall soon in 2012 They will hear the peoples message Mr. Obama tear down this wall and lets hope it resonates in the Senate and Congress as well.

The main reason is the insurance companies lobby because they don't want to have to buy a bunch of new houses. Also FEMA would cost us a whole lot more money to help the city.

I doubt the ACE is worried about insurance right now, its more concerned about the structural integrity of its levee system, with the Old River Control structure being its prime concern.

If you don't want to lose your home to flooding then don't live in a flood plain.

It seems pretty fucking stupid to me to complain about flooding when one chooses to live where floods happen.

people mean nothing if they are poor huh?

BTW that minnow is a food source for how many other fish?

A point....sounds like if the poster creating this thread had been in charge of the levees in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, it would have been more likely that the those levees HAD been purposely blown.

Farmland recovers easily from flooding...it even enriches the soil over that time. Homes and business buildings not so much. Amazing that the OP doesn't seem to know that....or scary if he does.

Don't be so dim.

There is nothing in Cairo needing to be saved or fixed after a flood.

I lived there, the people there, minus some home owners, would not be sad to be moved some where else.

Its part of the flood control plan by the army corps of engineers. That farmland was designated an emergency flood plain. and they are seeing at least 50 year, maybe 100 year flood levels, and this stuff hasnt even hit the lower mississipi yet.

The farmland will recover, the silt will probably help rejuvinate the soil. Cities are much harder to clean, and result in much nastier overflow water being added to the flood.

130,000 acres is not much when you consider the total areable land in the US.

This is going to get worse when it hits the lower mississipi, they may have to open flood gates/blast levees they havent resorted to in decades.

I think you are missing my concerns.

food cost is high, and this is in the Bread Baskett.
Cairo is a slum, seriously, it was falling apart in '85, there as a big sink hole in one of the streets that was left there for 3 years b/c no one cared.

again, Cairo is a town of 1200

Thanks for letting me know MO is a flood plan to save Il.

A lot of places that are rural are designated to take flood water in the case of the 100 year flood. This is probably it.

The people in the area knew this was a designated flood plain in the flood control plan. They will be compensated for the losses, as it is a ACE act doing the flooding. Also some of the farmhouses have thier own local levees for a situation just like this.

The ACE took over responsibility for flood control for exactly this reason. In the old days, you used to go across the river and blow the levee on the other side to protect your own town. Naturally the people there tried to stop you. Now the Army Core handles it all, and has designated areas that basically get screwed in the case of the project floods. This area of Missouri is one of them.

If the silting isnt too bad they may even be able to replant after the flood and get something of a growing season in.

Ok, that makes more sense, Thank you.

people mean nothing if they are poor huh?

BTW that minnow is a food source for how many other fish?

No you idiot. That little minnow is on the Endangered species list. The Govt in its infinite wisdom decided to withhold water from thousands of acres of beautiful producing farmland. All for the sake of a minnow.

They put farmers and all those who work for them out of work.

It would seem better to relocate those in the town than to destroy 130,000 acres of productive farm land. The Govt. is already using 15% of the national corn crop to push their ethanol program causing the price of beef and many other products to rise in price.

Nope, again, there is a GLUT of corn and soybeans on the market. We get screwed health-wise, the farmers get screwed paywise and the corporations make billions (and get unnecessary welfare to keep their commodities ponzi scheme going on the backs of the actual growers). You morons should really research the actual price that big agra, industrialization, monocoulture and cheap food in this country REALLY costs us. You would be shocked.

I think you are missing my concerns.

food cost is high, and this is in the Bread Baskett.
Cairo is a slum, seriously, it was falling apart in '85, there as a big sink hole in one of the streets that was left there for 3 years b/c no one cared.

again, Cairo is a town of 1200

Thanks for letting me know MO is a flood plan to save Il.

A lot of places that are rural are designated to take flood water in the case of the 100 year flood. This is probably it.

The people in the area knew this was a designated flood plain in the flood control plan. They will be compensated for the losses, as it is a ACE act doing the flooding. Also some of the farmhouses have thier own local levees for a situation just like this.

The ACE took over responsibility for flood control for exactly this reason. In the old days, you used to go across the river and blow the levee on the other side to protect your own town. Naturally the people there tried to stop you. Now the Army Core handles it all, and has designated areas that basically get screwed in the case of the project floods. This area of Missouri is one of them.

If the silting isnt too bad they may even be able to replant after the flood and get something of a growing season in.

Ok, that makes more sense, Thank you.

Flood control is a touchy topic, as things the ACE does affects many people, mostly badly. Most years you get the spring high water and nothing bad happens. This year you had Cairo at 20 feet ABOVE what they consider flood stage. If thats the case for the rest of the system, it will be an interesting few weeks.

We got stuck with the levee system in the 1800's and changing it would be a massive civil works undertaking, not to mention a migration of people, industry and roadways that would take decades to achive.

So basically, its upheval, or keep at the levees.

Its as if they have no idea why this area has rich farm land in the begining

I grew up next to these rivers.

so I know you have no idea what you are talking about.

All rivers flood yearly in the plains. It's a gradual rise in water.

busting a levee creates a torrent of water that washes away topsoil, hedges, houses, barns, cars, trucks, and trees that will no longer be able to hold the soil come next flooding season.

please refrain from not adding to the conversation.

busting a levee creates a torrent of water that washes away topsoil, hedges, houses, barns, cars, trucks, and trees that will no longer be able to hold the soil come next flooding season.

Hopefully they blast it in a way that lessens the scour effect. Hopefully the plain is laid out in such a way that the flow spreads evenly throughout the plain.

The area right by the levee, however is hosed.

And yes, truthmatters should often refrain from the conversation.

Hopefully they blast it in a way that lessens the scour effect. Hopefully the plain is laid out in such a way that the flow spreads evenly throughout the plain.

The ground is soaked from the storms, I hope that 103k acres was a generous estament.

The ground is soaked from the storms, I hope that 103k acres was a generous estament.

Its probably limited by topography, which X feet of water fills X acres of basin. Once the river goes below flood level it should flow back past the levee.

Blacks can't swim

Give it a rest will ya.

This issue is not a race issue. Cairo whites are middle class to dirt poor.

600 black people are not going to swing a vote either way. If anything the middle class white people will re-elect the local officials for saving thier homes.

Levee on Mississippi is broken to protect town - Weather - msnbc.com

Missouri officials opposed the possible breach, saying it could inundate 130,000 acres of farmland and crush the region's economy and environment by possibly covering the land under feet of sand and silt and rendering it useless.

The ruling by Alito, who handles emergency requests from Missouri and various other Midwest states, came the same day all but 20 to 30 families in 2,800-resident Cairo were ordered out of the city and away from the Ohio, which eclipsed its 74-year-old record height was expected to rise further.

I lived in Cairo [Kay-row] in the late 80's. It was a dying crap hole then and it's been on a steady decline.

We are saving a slum, that no one would miss, to destroy 130,000 acres of farmland, in a time of increasing food prices. That just makes no sense.

On top of that, Cairo has a sink hole about 150 yards from a river, near an old part of the town.

Can anyone tell me why they decided to save this place over MO?
Obamanomics
Because the worse things get for the working people the better it is for the entitlement class and Obama.

You can only imagine who lives in the slum. I say, sink the slum, it will save the govt billions in welfare....if you know what I mean.:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

You can only imagine who lives in the slum. I say, sink the slum, it will save the govt billions in welfare....if you know what I mean.:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

I lived in Cairo.

I don't have to imagine, I had freinds that lived in it.

Sinking Cairo, while not a loss, would not save billions, since those people would be moved elsewhere.

I was more concerned about saving farmland over a run down crap hole.

The main reason is the insurance companies lobby because they don't want to have to buy a bunch of new houses. Also FEMA would cost us a whole lot more money to help the city.

I doubt the ACE is worried about insurance right now, its more concerned about the structural integrity of its levee system, with the Old River Control structure being its prime concern.

Now that I think about it, all flood insurance claims are paid by the Federal Government. The government knows it is cheaper to pay off the farmers crop insurance claims than to pay off on hundreds or thousands of houses. Every home located in a flood plane with a mortgage must carry flood insurance from the US Government. Unless you want taxpayers to needless foot the bill to replace all those houses, then let the US corp of engineers do their job.

The residents of the town are black.

The farmers who will lose their homes and farms are white.

It's would be racist to destroy the welfare food stamp paradise hood.

So the productive farms must be sacrificed in order to apease the PC liberals.

Not exactly.

Most of the farmers in MO are white. But Cairo is about a 50-50 mix of white-black. Mexicans make up a nominal number.

The whites are mostly well off old peole living in old homes, the gehtto is mostly black and the inner part of town is a mix.

but the whole town is very old and falling apart, and that was 25 years ago.

They'd be doing the poor a favor by re-locating them. The well off have insurance. [flood ins is required by law in IL, unless that's changed]

Nope. Last I heard from a friend that lives there, she cannot purchase flood insurance because her land is next to the ozarks (water). So, you can't buy flood insurance if you might get flooded. :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back