130,000 acres of MO farmland being sunk to save an Il slum

The residents of the town are black.

The farmers who will lose their homes and farms are white.

It's would be racist to destroy the welfare food stamp paradise hood.

So the productive farms must be sacrificed in order to apease the PC liberals.

Not exactly.

Most of the farmers in MO are white. But Cairo is about a 50-50 mix of white-black. Mexicans make up a nominal number.

The whites are mostly well off old peole living in old homes, the gehtto is mostly black and the inner part of town is a mix.

but the whole town is very old and falling apart, and that was 25 years ago.

They'd be doing the poor a favor by re-locating them. The well off have insurance. [flood ins is required by law in IL, unless that's changed]

Nope. Last I heard from a friend that lives there, she cannot purchase flood insurance because her land is next to the ozarks (water). So, you can't buy flood insurance if you might get flooded. :cuckoo:

Why is that cuckoo? You realize the point of insurance is to protect from things that are REMOTE chances of happening right? That insurance is a for-profit business?

When you live next to water it's more likely that you WILL get flooded. Thus no insurance.

I weep for the younger generation.

Not exactly.

Most of the farmers in MO are white. But Cairo is about a 50-50 mix of white-black. Mexicans make up a nominal number.

The whites are mostly well off old peole living in old homes, the gehtto is mostly black and the inner part of town is a mix.

They'd be doing the poor a favor by re-locating them. The well off have insurance. [flood ins is required by law in IL, unless that's changed]

Nope. Last I heard from a friend that lives there, she cannot purchase flood insurance because her land is next to the ozarks (water). So, you can't buy flood insurance if you might get flooded. :cuckoo:

Why is that cuckoo? You realize the point of insurance is to protect from things that are REMOTE chances of happening right? That insurance is a for-profit business?

When you live next to water it's more likely that you WILL get flooded. Thus no insurance.

How old do you think I am, anyway?
I weep for those who live in a town they may not consider a slum, are offered a piddly sum to move somewhere else where they can't afford.
Besides, we get all our goods from China now, right? (Sarcasm)

Levee on Mississippi is broken to protect town - Weather - msnbc.com

Missouri officials opposed the possible breach, saying it could inundate 130,000 acres of farmland and crush the region's economy and environment by possibly covering the land under feet of sand and silt and rendering it useless.

The ruling by Alito, who handles emergency requests from Missouri and various other Midwest states, came the same day all but 20 to 30 families in 2,800-resident Cairo were ordered out of the city and away from the Ohio, which eclipsed its 74-year-old record height was expected to rise further.

I lived in Cairo [Kay-row] in the late 80's. It was a dying crap hole then and it's been on a steady decline.

We are saving a slum, that no one would miss, to destroy 130,000 acres of farmland, in a time of increasing food prices. That just makes no sense.

On top of that, Cairo has a sink hole about 150 yards from a river, near an old part of the town.

Can anyone tell me why they decided to save this place over MO?

Its part of the flood control plan by the army corps of engineers. That farmland was designated an emergency flood plain. and they are seeing at least 50 year, maybe 100 year flood levels, and this stuff hasnt even hit the lower mississipi yet.

The farmland will recover, the silt will probably help rejuvinate the soil. Cities are much harder to clean, and result in much nastier overflow water being added to the flood.

130,000 acres is not much when you consider the total areable land in the US.

This is going to get worse when it hits the lower mississipi, they may have to open flood gates/blast levees they havent resorted to in decades.

I think you are missing my concerns.

food cost is high, and this is in the Bread Baskett.

Then quit diverting 30% of the corn crop to that fucking ethanol program.

And as if that isn't enough, 30% of ethanol production is exported.
Freakin' spoiled agriculture community.

Not exactly.

Wrong! Flood insurance is a government only not for profit business. Get the facts at www.floodsmart.gov

Last edited:
The residents of the town are black.

The farmers who will lose their homes and farms are white.

It's would be racist to destroy the welfare food stamp paradise hood.

So the productive farms must be sacrificed in order to apease the PC liberals.

Not exactly.

odd

When did she buy the home and when did she try to get flood ins? I'd swear it was required, like fire ins.

If she is trying to get it now, they will of course say no. It's like trying to buy fire ins when the woods are on fire.

Not exactly.

odd

When did she buy the home and when did she try to get flood ins? I'd swear it was required, like fire ins.

If she is trying to get it now, they will of course say no. It's like trying to buy fire ins when the woods are on fire.

Coupla years ago, Two Thumbs. All flat land, and she was building a home on it. But come to think of it..it was not Il...it's in Mo. My bad.

Wrong! Flood insurance is a government only not for profit business.

HAHAHAHA

Just looked it up. You can get national flood insurance through insurance companies, but it all comes from the Fed.

redonkulous

odd

Coupla years ago, Two Thumbs. All flat land, and she was building a home on it. But come to think of it..it was not Il...it's in Mo. My bad.

No problem. there is an Ozarks in Arkansas also.

yeah, you live in the plains, that's something you need to know well in advance.

Wrong! Flood insurance is a government only not for profit business. Get the facts at www.floodsmart.gov

HAHAHAHA

Just looked it up. You can get national flood insurance through insurance companies, but it all comes from the Fed.

redonkulous

Yup - Your insurance agent may sell it to you for the Federal Government. This helps the agent to get your business by offering you complete one stop shop coverage for your home to get your business. They may get a $50 sales & advertising reimbursement from the fed for that but it is a not for profit business.

Last edited:
It is an interesting use of words, we are not saving a town or peoples lives we are saving a SLUM. Glad you cleared that up. since it is a slum it is probably not worth saving but if it was a sub division we would look at it different and if it was a gated community, think of the up roar, but no it is just a slum. Tough break huh.

I'm not conceding anything first of all. There are flooding riders on many commercial properties (I've signed them for my various businesses) that have nothing to do with FEMA.

But regardless, there have to be common-sense controls on the insurance people can get - which was the point of the post I was responding to initially.

The government can't be in the business of protecting everyone from every possible danger. And it's not cuckoo (like the poster was saying) that whomever the insurance provider is would want to limit the amount that they give out. It's just common sense.

It is an interesting use of words, we are not saving a town or peoples lives we are saving a SLUM. Glad you cleared that up. since it is a slum it is probably not worth saving but if it was a sub division we would look at it different and if it was a gated community, think of the up roar, but no it is just a slum. Tough break huh.

What is liberals like use as a quote
The good of the many out weight the good of the few? Farm land feed's many people or do you think your food is grown in the grocery store?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_a8RWRCY7A&feature=related]YouTube - Cairo, Illinois Flood of 2011 (2)[/ame]

Missouri officials opposed the possible breach, saying it could inundate 130,000 acres of farmland and crush the region's economy and environment by possibly covering the land under feet of sand and silt and rendering it useless.

The ruling by Alito, who handles emergency requests from Missouri and various other Midwest states, came the same day all but 20 to 30 families in 2,800-resident Cairo were ordered out of the city and away from the Ohio, which eclipsed its 74-year-old record height was expected to rise further.

I lived in Cairo [Kay-row] in the late 80's. It was a dying crap hole then and it's been on a steady decline.

We are saving a slum, that no one would miss, to destroy 130,000 acres of farmland, in a time of increasing food prices. That just makes no sense.

On top of that, Cairo has a sink hole about 150 yards from a river, near an old part of the town.

Its part of the flood control plan by the army corps of engineers. That farmland was designated an emergency flood plain. and they are seeing at least 50 year, maybe 100 year flood levels, and this stuff hasnt even hit the lower mississipi yet.

The farmland will recover, the silt will probably help rejuvinate the soil. Cities are much harder to clean, and result in much nastier overflow water being added to the flood.

This is going to get worse when it hits the lower mississipi, they may have to open flood gates/blast levees they havent resorted to in decades.

It isn't just the 130,000 acres, it is also 100 homes on those acres. If I were a farmer who is going to lose my home and farm to save a town of 1200 people, I would be more than a little pissed.

I think you are missing my concerns.

food cost is high, and this is in the Bread Baskett.
Cairo is a slum, seriously, it was falling apart in '85, there as a big sink hole in one of the streets that was left there for 3 years b/c no one cared.

again, Cairo is a town of 1200

Thanks for letting me know MO is a flood plan to save Il.

The Mississippi River flood plain is 200 miles wide in areas. It is far better to flood that area then the town, whether it is filled with poor folks or not. Even if it was a rich town it would be better to flood the plain. That's why the flood plains are there after all. And as was pointed out in a prior post the silt will be good for the soil.

What is liberals like use as a quote
The good of the many out weight the good of the few? Farm land feed's many people or do you think your food is grown in the grocery store?

Just who will you give the power to that gets to deside whos home and belongings are worth saving?

What if the decision is made by someone who merely wants to buy your property at a cheap price after the flood receded?

Forum List

Back