"12 o'clock High" (1949)

Navy used it to show different types of management.

Peck went thru all 6 types from the beginning to the end of the movie

I used to enjoy war movies. Now I can't help but think about all the waste, death, and destruction all to benefit the oligarchy.

I used to enjoy war movies. Now I can't help but think about all the waste, death, and destruction all to benefit the oligarchy.
81uVAmGkmaS._SL1500_.jpg

Movies made during WWII had a distinctly pro-war feel to them (not necessarily in the hawkish sense, were 'sucks but necessary' ones as well,) ones made after had a different feel, especially right after. Like the antiwar/pacifist movements after WWI made up of disfigured veterans and the like. Once you've had time to consider and reflect, it comes out in the movies made about it all.

My favorite from that era was The Best Years of our Lives, 1946.

Myrna Loy, Frederick March, Hoagie Carmichael.

Trying to recall another WWII movie I like. Color or maybe colorized, blond haired actor guy played a college chemistry I think professor who goes to war, becomming a drill Sgt at Paris Island, one his students as well, goes through a cowardice phase thing. Lots of 'inner thoughts' monologues and flashbacks.

Trying to recall another WWII movie I like. Color or maybe colorized, blond haired actor guy played a college chemistry I think professor who goes to war, becomming a drill Sgt at Paris Island, one his students as well, goes through a cowardice phase thing. Lots of 'inner thoughts' monologues and flashbacks.

Doesnt' ring a bell

Here it is, wondered if I was mixing two different movies, same movie. :)

Halls of Montezuma (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Below deck, veteran Lieutenant Carl A. Anderson (Richard Widmark), a chemistry teacher in civilian life, questions his former student, Corporal Stuart Conroy (Richard Hylton), who complains that he is ill and cannot fight."

Ok, I remember it now

Remember the part I described, and another wasn't sure if from the same movie. Pacific island and combat, some British guy with the cigarette holder complaining to the US Marine telling him to lose the holder, "But the (whatever rank) knows I only enjoy smoking with it." or something like that. :)

Another one coming to mind now, color, 50s maybe 60s, big midwest farmboy sorta Marine with raspy smoker's voice gets involved with some woman in New Zealand, stays with her at her family's place, is an axe stuck in a tree her father can't get out, he yanks it right out and finishes chopping down the tree?

Another one coming to mind now, color, 50s maybe 60s, big midwest farmboy sorta Marine with raspy smoker's voice gets involved with some woman in New Zealand, stays with her at her family's place, is an axe stuck in a tree her father can't get out, he yanks it right out and finishes chopping down the tree?

Remember the movie, cant' remember it's name, nor the actors

Here it is (thank goodness way I remember things and the way google works are compatible) :)

Battle Cry (1955)
Directed by
Raoul Walsh

Writing credits
Leon Uris (novel)
Leon Uris (screenplay)

Add to MyMovies IMDbPro Professional Details

Genre: Drama / War (more)

Plot Outline: A group of young Marines have adventures in love and war. (more)

User Comments: Peyton Place set to the Marine Corp hymn. (more)

User Rating: 6.4/10 (381 votes)

Cast overview, first billed only:
Van Heflin .... Major Sam Huxley (CO, 2nd Bn., 6th Marine Regt.)
Aldo Ray .... Pvt./Pfc Andy Hookens
Mona Freeman .... Kathy, later: Mrs. Danny Forrester
Nancy Olson .... Mrs. Pat Rogers
James Whitmore .... MSgt. Mac/Narrator
Raymond Massey .... Maj. Gen. Snipes
Tab Hunter .... Pvt./Cpl. Dan 'Danny' Forrester
Dorothy Malone .... Mrs. Elaine Yarborough (USO manager in San Diego)
Anne Francis .... Rae
William Campbell .... Pvt. 'Ski' Wronski
John Lupton .... Pvt./Cpl. Marion 'Sister Mary' Hotchkiss
L.Q. Jones .... Pvt. L.Q. Jones (as Justus E. McQueen)
Perry Lopez .... Pvt. Joe Gomez aka Spanish Joe
Fess Parker .... Pvt. Speedy
Jonas Applegarth .... Pvt. Lighttower (Navajo Phonetalker)
(more)

Runtime: 149 min / West Germany:136 min / Portugal:142 min (TV version)
Language: English / Japanese / Navajo
Color: Color (Warnercolor)
Sound Mix: 4-Track Stereo (RCA Sound System) (magnetic prints) / Mono (optical prints)
Certification: Australia:G / Finland:K-16 / West Germany:18 / UK:pG

Goofs: Revealing mistakes: When Andy Hookins chops down the tree in front of Pat's house, he visibly "chops" it with an axe - but when the tree falls the camera pulls back to show the tree falling from a perfectly smooth stump, obviously cut with a chainsaw. (more)

Awards: Nominated for Oscar. (more)

BATTLE CRY

Forum List

Back