118 In Phoenix Yesterday....

Tom Horn

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2015
NEARBY
And that's in the SHADE folks!
krepava.gif
I've lived here so long it doesn't bother me...in fact I like it. Few organisms can live through this kind of heat so I don't worry about falling and skinning my knee like I would in the pathogen-infested midwest I grew up in. And if we didn't have summers like this there would be another 5 million transplants here from the rust belt and Kalifornia. So what's it like when it's this hot?

By 9am the sun feels like opening the oven door on your face.....an intensity that gives you fair warning not to test it. By noon, the streets are deserted, the only signs of life are folks hurrying from an air-conditioned car into an air-conditioned building. Street people line up for the free water dispensed by various charities and the cops look the other way when they loiter in various buildings they don't belong in..

By 4pm it's maxed out.....as hot as it's going to get. Our personal best was back in the 90's when it red-lined at 122. Is it a "dry heat"? Yes it is, for now. The dew-point is still in the 30 degree range but as the July monsoon season approaches that will climb into the 50 degree range making wet air as hot as dry air. That's when those without AC truly suffer.
But hey...we all knew what we were in for when we moved here.
x0scwi.gif

krepava.gif
I've lived here so long it doesn't bother me...in fact I like it. Few organisms can live through this kind of heat so I don't worry about falling and skinning my knee like I would in the pathogen-infested midwest I grew up in. And if we didn't have summers like this there would be another 5 million transplants here from the rust belt and Kalifornia. So what's it like when it's this hot?

By 9am the sun feels like opening the oven door on your face.....an intensity that gives you fair warning not to test it. By noon, the streets are deserted, the only signs of life are folks hurrying from an air-conditioned car into an air-conditioned building. Street people line up for the free water dispensed by various charities and the cops look the other way when they loiter in various buildings they don't belong in..

By 4pm it's maxed out.....as hot as it's going to get. Our personal best was back in the 90's when it red-lined at 122. Is it a "dry heat"? Yes it is, for now. The dew-point is still in the 30 degree range but as the July monsoon season approaches that will climb into the 50 degree range making wet air as hot as dry air. That's when those without AC truly suffer.
x0scwi.gif
All the global warming deniers should move there, eh?

Oldest just had to go to ASU,it was 115 the day she graduated in 2009,eveytime we would fly out for a visit seems like the gods would crank the heat just alittle more.
It's all about elevation,with the heat

• Banned
Oldest just had to go to ASU,it was 115 the day she graduated in 2009,eveytime we would fly out for a visit seems like the gods would crank the heat just alittle more.
It's all about elevation,with the heat

The neat part is that the White Mountains are only an hour and a half away and above Payson you're in the cool pines. Most of Arizona is much cooler than the lower deserts.

I used to live in the rural Nevada desert. It would feel like your eyeballs were boiling in your head. In the desert, everything bites. The plants bite, the insects sure bite and the birds bite.

I once took my dog for a walk. Stretched out across the road was a line of road runners eyeing my poodle. I was too big. It wasn't worth it.

• Banned
I used to live in the rural Nevada desert. It would feel like your eyeballs were boiling in your head. In the desert, everything bites. The plants bite, the insects sure bite and the birds bite.

I once took my dog for a walk. Stretched out across the road was a line of road runners eyeing my poodle. I was too big. It wasn't worth it.

Same here....every bush and tree has a thorn on it or a scorpion or snake hiding under it. I once took down an Ocotillo cactus that came with a house I bought...got stuck so many times I damn near ended up in an OR for my trouble.
b07aacac854684cd2a07473ac0963693.jpg

That's interesting. It's -like opening an oven door- really gives you an idea of how it feels. I live in south western Michigan. It's around 80 degrees and around 80% humidity right now. You open the door and it feels like you are steeping into a rain forest.

• Banned
That's interesting. It's -like opening an oven door- really gives you an idea of how it feels. I live in south western Michigan. It's around 80 degrees and around 80% humidity right now. You open the door and it feels like you are steeping into a rain forest.

I grew up in Detroit and have lived all over Michigan...my last stop was GR before I headed out west. I can remember my Mom laying on the linoleum floor in the kitchen on the hottest summer days swearing we were getting AC for next summer....we never did.
lol.gif

When I lived in California's Mojave Desert, if it was quiet enough at night in the house, you could hear a scorpion crossing the carpet. :ack-1:

Heh.....I've been real lucky when it comes to those critters....almost sat on one in a lawn chair once....got a buddy with a house full of them...he grabs them with forceps and drops them down the garbage disposal...they make a nice little crunching noise when he hits the switch.
lol.gif

Same here....every bush and tree has a thorn on it or a scorpion or snake hiding under it. I once took down an Ocotillo cactus that came with a house I bought...got stuck so many times I damn near ended up in an OR for my trouble.
b07aacac854684cd2a07473ac0963693.jpg
Lol! When I moved here I was told everything here will either stick you or bite you and the reward for getting through it is stifling heat. Pretty accurate.

It's going to be 115 here in Vegas today

So you know the deal....wait it out and we have our summer when everybody else is freezing cold. You can always get into the Sierra Nevadas when it starts closing in on ya...without the mountain cool air, life here would be a little tougher.

Been pretty warm down here in El Paso but not like Phoenix and Tucson, only 104 and the humidity hit 35% last night, right now it's around 15%. Time to put the window AC units in the windows........ The swamp coolers are basically ineffective when the humidity rises above 35% and yup monsoon season is here.

Been pretty warm down here in El Paso but not like Phoenix and Tucson, only 104 and the humidity hit 35% last night, right now it's around 15%. Time to put the window AC units in the windows........ The swamp coolers are basically ineffective when the humidity rises above 35% and yup monsoon season is here.

I had a central air unit burn out in a house I owned so I put in 3 window AC units for around $250 apiece (early 90's) and they did fine....saved myself about $5K. The electric bill was a few dollars higher but not a deal-breaker. Swampy did the trick til the dew point hit 55..

krepava.gif

x0scwi.gif
many people in parts of California experience the same shit....

I used to have a yearly Sales Conference in Scottsdale where we flew all of our Sales Reps to for a weeks stay.....it was hotter than a hot potato....I don't care if there is no humidity, hot is hot, and it was blazing hot there....and even though it is somewhat picturesque, with Mountains and dessert.... I truly missed seeing green.....no lush green forests, no lush green lawns everywhere....everything seemed Red and Tan....with pebbled lawns and landscaping.... it's okay for something different for a week a year, but my soul longed for the lush, green trees and lawns and meadows and bushes and lakes by the time I got home....

It is 75 degrees here today, with a light breeze and is lovely....not even using the air conditioning because the inside house is still around 70 degrees.....

I used to have a yearly Sales Conference in Scottsdale where we flew all of our Sales Reps to for a weeks stay.....it was hotter than a hot potato....I don't care if there is no humidity, hot is hot, and it was blazing hot there....and even though it is somewhat picturesque, with Mountains and dessert.... I truly missed seeing green.....no lush green forests, no lush green lawns everywhere....everything seemed Red and Tan....with pebbled lawns and landscaping.... it's okay for something different for a week a year, but my soul longed for the lush, green trees and lawns and meadows and bushes and lakes by the time I got home....

It is 75 degrees here today, with a light breeze and is lovely....not even using the air conditioning because the inside house is still around 70 degrees.....

lol.gif
When my Mom visited from Michigan she said the same thing...."everything is brown here...this is like being on the moon!" Used to crack me up. She did like the sunny days and blue sky though...hard to get down in the dumps when everything around you is shiny and new....Phoenix is one of the best run cities in the world.

I had a central air unit burn out in a house I owned so I put in 3 window AC units for around $250 apiece (early 90's) and they did fine....saved myself about $5K. The electric bill was a few dollars higher but not a deal-breaker. Swampy did the trick til the dew point hit 55..
Spent 35 years in Northern Virginia right outside of the snake's den (DC), in the summer it would get positively tropical not that it bothered me all that much, spent much of my childhood growing up in the Pacific.
Last night the humidity was up to 35%, had to turn on both swamp coolers just so that it was cool enough to go to sleep at 4AM.........
Oh and I was born but not raised a Yooper, mom was from Gladstone dad was from Wisconsin I was raised a military brat.

Forum List

Back