100 year old driver runs over 11 people - No arrest

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
Brakes failed my butt. Even if true, he could have turned off the engine or shifted in neutral. But no arrest!!!

EarthLink - Top News

August 29, 2012 9:47 PM EDT
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A 100-year-old man backed his car on to a sidewalk and hit 11 people, including nine children, across from an elementary school in South Los Angeles just after classes had ended Wednesday, authorities said.

Four of the children were in critical condition when firefighters arrived but they were stabilized and were in serious condition at a hospital, city fire Capt. Jaime Moore said. Everyone was expected to survive, he said.

The powder blue Cadillac backed slowly into the group of parents and children buying snacks from a sidewalk vendor, and the crowd banged on his windows and screamed for him to stop, but not before some of the children were trapped under the car, witnesses said.

Police identified the driver as Preston Carter and said he was being very cooperative.

Carter talked to television reporters after the crash some five miles southwest of downtown Los Angeles. He said he has a driver's license and will be 101 years old Sept. 5.

"My brakes failed. It was out of control," Carter told KCAL-TV.

Carter was pulling out of the grocery store parking lot, but instead of backing into the street, he backed onto the sidewalk, police Capt. George Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez said the collision was being investigated as an accident, and Carter was not under arrest

The brakes didn't fail, he pressed the accelerator instead of the brakes, obviously. The older you get, the slower your responses. Old people - over the age of 80 - should not have a license. They are dangerous drivers, IMO.

What if they did arrest him?

The headline would be "COPS HANDCUFF 100 YEAR OLD MAN FOR TRAFFIC ACCIDENT" and the cop haters would be going insane.

The brakes didn't fail, he pressed the accelerator instead of the brakes, obviously. The older you get, the slower your responses. Old people - over the age of 80 - should not have a license. They are dangerous drivers, IMO.

And that is an accident, not a criminal violation with "intent", which is why he wasn't arrested.

And that is an accident, not a criminal violation with "intent", which is why he wasn't arrested.

Funny how you rarely hear about a younger driver making such a mistake. The old man hit those kids because his reflexes are slower at his age. He shouldn't have been driving, and I hope the families of those kids do everything they can to take his license away.

May I assume they've already called you to testify as an expert witness. ?

May I assume they've already called you to testify as an expert witness. ?

I have been driving for two years, and in that two years, I have never had an incident with a younger driver, but I have had multiple incidents with the elderly drivers. That is enough for me to steer clear of these terrible drivers.

Age should not be the determining factor.

I had a 94 year old man run a red light and hit my back right area (after I'd mostly made it thru the intersection) about 15 years ago...spun my car pretty good. He denied, denied, denied...that he ran a red light. My insurance company said they couldn't use age as a factor...illegal...but they DID look at his application to his insurance company where he didn't even know what town the accident happened in...(he stated a town 24 miles away) and that it was obvious I was well into the intersection when he nailed me. Ironically, there were some kids who witnessed it and stuck around. Because they were underaged, their statements couldn't be used by the insurance company.

Bizarro.

You don't understand the law, peabrain. Drunk drivers and speeders who injure others are prosecuted even though they had no intent to harm others.

Age should not be the determining factor.

I had a 94 year old man run a red light and hit my back right area (after I'd mostly made it thru the intersection) about 15 years ago...spun my car pretty good. He denied, denied, denied...that he ran a red light. My insurance company said they couldn't use age as a factor...illegal...but they DID look at his application to his insurance company where he didn't even know what town the accident happened in...(he stated a town 24 miles away) and that it was obvious I was well into the intersection when he nailed me. Ironically, there were some kids who witnessed it and stuck around. Because they were underaged, their statements couldn't be used by the insurance company.

Bizarro.

Look up 'Sophie Delezio'. Old man ran into her childcare centre, trapped her under the car and burned her to a crisp. Two years later, another old man hit her in her stroller. Twice she nearly died, and was severely injured and disfigured, and both times the old men got a slap on the wrist.
Its ridiculous.

I have been driving for two years, and in that two years, I have never had an incident with a younger driver, but I have had multiple incidents with the elderly drivers. That is enough for me to steer clear of these terrible drivers.

If we had a policy that everyone, regardless of age, who is found at fault in a fatal crash must serve at least 5 years in prison, then the geezers would voluntarily give up driving.

The problem is medical advances have produced extended life spans leaving a lot of seniors who live alone with no one to do things for them which require getting around, such as driving to doctor appointments, grocery shopping, etc. If you restrict everyone over 80 from driving, what will become of that category?

If government prohibits them from driving, will government assume responsibility for serving their needs? Or will government just let them fend for themselves in any way they can? You know that many of them will be driving without licenses, so what should government do about that -- put them in prison?

Funny how you rarely hear about a younger driver making such a mistake. The old man hit those kids because his reflexes are slower at his age. He shouldn't have been driving, and I hope the families of those kids do everything they can to take his license away.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-06-04/news/32037136_1_car-wreck-graduation-ceremony-three-teens

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...h_1_car-hits-tree-single-vehicle-utility-pole

http://www.wthr.com/story/18562801/one-teen-dead-four-others-injured-in-accident

http://napervillesun.suntimes.com/n...ople-killed-in-kendall-car-semi-accident.html

http://www.theprovince.com/news/brothers+killed/6613538/story.html#ixzz1ulMQdW84

Not so sure about kids and driving. The response maybe quicker but the judgement is a lot worse and more deadly.

Look up 'Sophie Delezio'. Old man ran into her childcare centre, trapped her under the car and burned her to a crisp. Two years later, another old man hit her in her stroller. Twice she nearly died, and was severely injured and disfigured, and both times the old men got a slap on the wrist.
Its ridiculous.

Old drivers are never held accountable for their crashes and they know it and so they keep on driving. State doesn't want old people in prison, knowing their health issues will bankrupt the prison.

If government prohibits them from driving, will government assume responsibility for serving their needs? Or will government just let them fend for themselves in any way they can? You know that many of them will be driving without licenses, so what should government do about that -- put them in prison?

We should encourage (not force) old people to commit suicide. Seconal should be available at walmart.

Its ridiculous.

Old drivers are never held accountable for their crashes and they know it and so they keep on driving. State doesn't want old people in prison, knowing their health issues will bankrupt the prison.

Overcrowded prisons is a whole different story. Age is not the problem here. Driving skills are.

4 teens killed in crash hours before graduation - New York Daily News

Teen dies after car hits tree near Grayslake - Chicago Tribune

Brownsburg mourns classmate in fatal car crash - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

3 teens, 2 from Plainfield, 1 from Naperville, killed in Kendall car-semi crash - The Naperville Sun

http://www.theprovince.com/news/brothers+killed/6613538/story.html#ixzz1ulMQdW84

Not so sure about kids and driving. The response maybe quicker but the judgement is a lot worse and more deadly.

Younger drivers have a tendency to speed, that I know. I see it enough on the news. But they don't mistake the accelerator for the brakes, and their responses are a lot quicker.

They also don't drive 40 ks under the bloody speed limit like so many old people.

Forum List

Back