10 Ways to Avoid Brainwashing; Yes, everyone and all parties

AntiParty

Tea is the new Kool-Aid
Mar 12, 2014
1. Decrypt media spin.
The media uses many different tools and angles to sensationalize things that aren’t inherently sensational. “Experts generally agree” can mean a community college professor and “recent surveys find” can mean the polling of 10 people.
Be wary of any claims where the sources aren’t explicitly stated. (See this article for understanding media spin.)
2. Break through the hype.
Have you ever noticed that the most genuinely talented people don’t feel the need to convince you of their ability? If something is authentically awesome, it advertises itself.
All hype isn’t necessarily bad, but having some man scream at you about the amazing cleaning power of OxyClean is most likely an attempt to scare you into believing something.
3. Don’t buy into scare tactics.
This approach is most popular among the military. This is for an obvious reason: to make you conform and adhere to the purpose of the larger whole. On one hand, I understand why they have to do what they do. But on the other, I am wary of any group the discourages questioning the command. If you don’t think the purpose of your troop’s mission ethical, sorry, you don’t get an opinion. If you don’t agree with the chain of command, too bad.
Sometimes we think there is no other choice but to follow the leader with our heads down. But if we just look a little further, there’s usually another way we didn’t see before.
4. Survey says.
Surveys and statistics are often skewed to support the agenda of the presenter. Just because a survey says something, doesn’t mean you have to believe it. Even if it’s from a reputable source, keep in mind that everyone has an agenda. Even Green Peace. Even Obama. Even your mom.
5. Be conscious of subliminal messages.
Advertisers have cleverly discovered that they can sell you something much easier if it’s associated with a certain lifestyle. A Mercedes equals luxury and high class; a Jeep means you’re rugged and adventurous. Cut through the BS. You define the way you live; your lifestyle doesn’t define you.
6. Don’t be a sheep.
The word “authority” derives from the word author, which simply means the one who originated the idea. It doesn’t mean they are right, or that they are the end of the line. Get as many different opinions as possible before making a decision and trust your common sense.
7. Be certain, or circumvent.
Have you ever noticed that extremely enthusiastic people have an uncanny ability to sway others? Their unshakeable certainty lures others into follow them, simply because they don’t have a strong opinion one way or the other. If you don’t know, don’t let someone else’s certainty force you to make a choice. Do your own research and come to your own conclusion.
8. Listen to your gut.
Follow your gut/intuition. If you think something’s shady, chances are it is. Your mind will usually want to prolong making a decision until it gets all the facts straight. You’ll usually find that after you’ve sorted everything out your gut was right all along. Save yourself some time and trust yourself.
9. Avoid groupthink.
Following the crowd is fine if you’re making that choice consciously. We’ve all heard the saying “if so and so told you to jump off a cliff, would you do it?” I always thought that that was the most idiotic question. That doesn’t prove anything. That’s just stupid. And it’s not what I’m talking about here.
What I mean is following the group because you’re afraid of standing out. You’re afraid of being seen, being heard. Because, geez, if you do that you might actually have to defend your opinion.
Don’t be afraid to be different. Ghandi was different. Einstein was different. People used to think they were crazy, radical and had possible birth defects (just kidding). Now they are considered geniuses.
10. Don’t be a trend-junkie.
“Newly reformulated” shaving cream is often just a newly reformulated packaging design. If you have to buy a new version of your camera, phone, or iPod every 6 months, are you buying it, or is it buying you? Do you really own your things, or do they own you?

no, only then you can become stupid. A third Party will NEVER win in your lifetime or mine. It will never ever happen, so just keep wasting your vote to get the lib elected, you good little lib.

The fact that you even consider them no different is very troubling and sad. Educate yourself.

And he is flat out wrong. Continue to support Republicans that are not conservative and Democrats that are not liberal and you will never get a candidate in office that represents you.

I guess that is okay for those that feel the need to 'win' is more important than government that represents its people but I certainly don't find anything to be happy about when another 'representative' that will not represent me takes office.

1. Decrypt media spin.
The media uses many different tools and angles to sensationalize things that aren’t inherently sensational. “Experts generally agree” can mean a community college professor and “recent surveys find” can mean the polling of 10 people.
Be wary of any claims where the sources aren’t explicitly stated. (See this article for understanding media spin.)
2. Break through the hype.
Have you ever noticed that the most genuinely talented people don’t feel the need to convince you of their ability? If something is authentically awesome, it advertises itself.
All hype isn’t necessarily bad, but having some man scream at you about the amazing cleaning power of OxyClean is most likely an attempt to scare you into believing something.
3. Don’t buy into scare tactics.
This approach is most popular among the military. This is for an obvious reason: to make you conform and adhere to the purpose of the larger whole. On one hand, I understand why they have to do what they do. But on the other, I am wary of any group the discourages questioning the command. If you don’t think the purpose of your troop’s mission ethical, sorry, you don’t get an opinion. If you don’t agree with the chain of command, too bad.
Sometimes we think there is no other choice but to follow the leader with our heads down. But if we just look a little further, there’s usually another way we didn’t see before.
4. Survey says.
Surveys and statistics are often skewed to support the agenda of the presenter. Just because a survey says something, doesn’t mean you have to believe it. Even if it’s from a reputable source, keep in mind that everyone has an agenda. Even Green Peace. Even Obama. Even your mom.
5. Be conscious of subliminal messages.
Advertisers have cleverly discovered that they can sell you something much easier if it’s associated with a certain lifestyle. A Mercedes equals luxury and high class; a Jeep means you’re rugged and adventurous. Cut through the BS. You define the way you live; your lifestyle doesn’t define you.
6. Don’t be a sheep.
The word “authority” derives from the word author, which simply means the one who originated the idea. It doesn’t mean they are right, or that they are the end of the line. Get as many different opinions as possible before making a decision and trust your common sense.
7. Be certain, or circumvent.
Have you ever noticed that extremely enthusiastic people have an uncanny ability to sway others? Their unshakeable certainty lures others into follow them, simply because they don’t have a strong opinion one way or the other. If you don’t know, don’t let someone else’s certainty force you to make a choice. Do your own research and come to your own conclusion.
8. Listen to your gut.
Follow your gut/intuition. If you think something’s shady, chances are it is. Your mind will usually want to prolong making a decision until it gets all the facts straight. You’ll usually find that after you’ve sorted everything out your gut was right all along. Save yourself some time and trust yourself.
9. Avoid groupthink.
Following the crowd is fine if you’re making that choice consciously. We’ve all heard the saying “if so and so told you to jump off a cliff, would you do it?” I always thought that that was the most idiotic question. That doesn’t prove anything. That’s just stupid. And it’s not what I’m talking about here.
What I mean is following the group because you’re afraid of standing out. You’re afraid of being seen, being heard. Because, geez, if you do that you might actually have to defend your opinion.
Don’t be afraid to be different. Ghandi was different. Einstein was different. People used to think they were crazy, radical and had possible birth defects (just kidding). Now they are considered geniuses.
10. Don’t be a trend-junkie.
“Newly reformulated” shaving cream is often just a newly reformulated packaging design. If you have to buy a new version of your camera, phone, or iPod every 6 months, are you buying it, or is it buying you? Do you really own your things, or do they own you?
A-frickken-men.

This list is going to offend the truly brainwashed on both sides

And he is flat out wrong. Continue to support Republicans that are not conservative and Democrats that are not liberal and you will never get a candidate in office that represents you.

I guess that is okay for those that feel the need to 'win' is more important than government that represents its people but I certainly don't find anything to be happy about when another 'representative' that will not represent me takes office.
Good God man, vote for whomever closest represents your views, without regard to whether or not they're Republican or Democrat.

Your one vote won't cause a third party candidate to drain Republican votes, and if it catches on...imagine that!...electing someone who truly represents you. Wow

Good God man, vote for whomever closest represents your views, without regard to whether or not they're Republican or Democrat.

Your one vote won't cause a third party candidate to drain Republican votes, and if it catches on...imagine that!...electing someone who truly represents you. Wow
?

What do you think I was saying?

I think the part

coca-cola-logo.jpg

about subliminal advertising

coca-cola-logo.jpg

is just a product

coca-cola-logo.jpg

of the original posters'

coca-cola-logo.jpg

over active imagination.

?

I was going for irony. But I can't find a suitable emoticon I guess.

Brainwashing is an inappropriate way of characterizing what I think the OP is describing.

To me, it's more of a case of simply validating, and harnessing, preexisting false or misleading conclusions...and connecting those with a given political candidate's platform.

MSNBC and Fox are really just extensions of righty and lefty political strategy efforts.

The list is missing the most important...

1 never believe the government.
2 assume all politicians are liars, criminals, and thives.

?

I was going for irony. But I can't find a suitable emoticon I guess.
LOL.

Ya, that just went WOOOOSH, right over my head.

I feel extra smart now :oops:

Forum List

Back