1/7 Americans Benefiting From Welfare/Food Stamps etc

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Moneyman, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Moneyman

Moneyman VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I can't post links yet I guess, but google it. Article came out yesterday. Need to get people off these programs that abuse it and get them working.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. AmyNation

AmyNation Road Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    People are suffering and relying more on government help during a recession? I'm shocked.

3. LoneLaugher

LoneLaugher Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,419
    How many are abusing?

How many able bodied adult Americans refuse an available job and instead opt to live off of federal tax dollars? What percentage of our GDP is spent on these lazy miscreants?

Thanks in advance for your kind attention.

4. Moneyman

Moneyman VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Relying on government by spending food stamps and welfare etc on drugs, ipad's, brand new car etc. People are abusing the system and it's getting worse. It needs to be changed.

I think if you're unemployed and not looking for work, they should either have to make them work on public works projects or send them to school to be re-trained for a job the market needs. Otherwise, kick them off the system.

5. toomuchtime_

toomuchtime_ Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,941
    The economy is not in recession. Under Obama's failed leadership this stagnant economy is becoming the new norm. That's why so many voters are hoping for a change of leadership on Nov. 2, the 2012 version of hope and change.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    From my own life Exp I would guess that at least half of the people collection Food Stamps are Abusing the System, or at the very least using the help to pay for food, so they can spend their own money on Frivolous BS, or a Drug Habit. I have seen to many people abusing the system in one way or another to have any faith it's anything less than half.

7. Moneyman

Moneyman VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Like I said, I like the program and I think it's a huge help to people who need it, but way too many people are abusing the system. It needs to be re-worked.

8. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,669
    too bad you elected someone who was not up to the task.

9. toomuchtime_

toomuchtime_ Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,941
    It has been reworked and reformed and there is still some abuse, but no one is buying Cadillacs and few could even manage ipads with the money because the food stamp allotments are just not great enough and the (illegal) transaction costs of converting food stamps into cash are so high that most people who abuse food stamps are probably doing so just to buy cigarettes or whiskey because they feel they just can't do without these things. Before we invest in trying to cut out this abuse, we should see a dollar and cents assessment of how much food stamp abuse is going on and how much it would cost us to try to reduce it. Or maybe we should consider that anyone poor enough to need food stamps might need a shot of whiskey or a cigarette once in a while just to cope with life.

10. LoneLaugher

LoneLaugher Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,419
    All of this anecdotal evidence is nice. But, can anyone tell me how many abusers there are with a more scientific approach?