US Message Board 🦅

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vietnam Era MK-II Fighting Knife Brought Back to Life

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I found a Vietnam era ('62 -'74) Camillus-made US MK-II fighting knife (think Ka-Bar) at the flea market. All that was left was the metal, the leather handle had rotted away. There was no sheath....I gave $2.00 for it.

I thought about putting a stag handle on it as I had a piece of Mule Deer antler big enough for the task but then I spied a set of M7 bayonet scales (the M7 is an M16 bayonet) I had pulled off a M7 bayonet that I had left on the workbench and tried those....Perfect fit! All I had to do was drill holes for the scale's bolts.

The blade was right rusty/rough but it came in shaving sharp. The worst part was the guard that was all bent up. I got it more or less straightened out.

I ordered a decent leather sheath for it for $20.00, not bad for a $22.00 investment. ;)

c 001 (2).JPG

c 003 (2).JPG

c 002 (2).JPG

What it would have looked like when issued:

VIETNAM-ERA-US-CAMILLUS-NY-BLADE-MARKED-MK-2-USMC-.jpg

Whodatsaywhodat.

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I found a Vietnam era ('62 -'74) Camillus-made US MK-II fighting knife (think Ka-Bar) at the flea market. All that was left was the metal, the leather handle had rotted away. There was no sheath....I gave $2.00 for it.

I thought about putting a stag handle on it as I had a piece of Mule Deer antler big enough for the task but then I spied a set of M7 bayonet scales (the M7 is an M16 bayonet) I had pulled off a M7 bayonet that I had left on the workbench and tried those....Perfect fit! All I had to do was drill holes for the scale's bolts.

The blade was right rusty/rough but it came in shaving sharp. The worst part was the guard that was all bent up. I got it more or less straightened out.

I ordered a decent leather sheath for it for $20.00, not bad for a $22.00 investment. ;)

View attachment 941559

View attachment 941561

View attachment 941560

What it would have looked like when issued:

VIETNAM-ERA-US-CAMILLUS-NY-BLADE-MARKED-MK-2-USMC-.jpg
That looks great . Fine job.

Forum List