House passes bill to expand definition of antisemitism amid growing campus protests over Gaza war

Hector12

Platinum Member
Feb 28, 2023
Associated Press,
WASHINGTON (AP) — The House passed legislation Wednesday that would establish a broader definition of antisemitism for the Department of Education to enforce anti-discrimination laws, the latest response from lawmakers to a nationwide student protest movement over the Israel-Hamas war.

The proposal, which passed 320-91 with some bipartisan support, would codify the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance’s definition of antisemitism in Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, a federal anti-discrimination law that bars discrimination based on shared ancestry, ethnic characteristics or national origin. It now goes to the Senate for a vote.

Action on the bill was just the latest reverberation in Congress from the protest movement that has swept university campuses. Republicans in Congress have denounced the protests and demanded action to stop them.

I am glad that Israel and the Children of Israel have bi partisan support in the United States. Hate speech and hate crimes against Jews and Israel should be broadly defined and severely punished. Students who demonstrate in favor of Hamas should be permanently expelled in ways that make it difficult for them to be admitted to other universities.

Associated Press,
WASHINGTON (AP) — The House passed legislation Wednesday that would establish a broader definition of antisemitism for the Department of Education to enforce anti-discrimination laws, the latest response from lawmakers to a nationwide student protest movement over the Israel-Hamas war.

The proposal, which passed 320-91 with some bipartisan support, would codify the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance’s definition of antisemitism in Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, a federal anti-discrimination law that bars discrimination based on shared ancestry, ethnic characteristics or national origin. It now goes to the Senate for a vote.

Action on the bill was just the latest reverberation in Congress from the protest movement that has swept university campuses. Republicans in Congress have denounced the protests and demanded action to stop them.

I am glad that Israel and the Children of Israel have bi partisan support in the United States. Hate speech and hate crimes against Jews and Israel should be broadly defined and severely punished. Students who demonstrate in favor of Hamas should be permanently expelled in ways that make it difficult for them to be admitted to other universities.
Yeah, the heck with that free speech stuff.

A Jew had his little feelings hurt.

Every time I think Biden couldn't possibly fuck anything more up, he does. So now, even if the big Jew gets it through the Senate, will AOC allow FJB to sign it? MAGA

I'm curious if the "Head Jew" in the Senate will even allow it to the floor.
He will, but he will water it down to disguise the fact that the horrific, extreme bigotry currently plaguing the country is against Jews. They will expand it to say that they are against all forms of bigotry….that against blacks, and Muslims, and gays, and transgenders, and……… oh yeah, the Jews too.

Associated Press,

Well this idiotic bill will never pass. Thank goodness.

I hate to break it to you guys, but the party that embraces the jew replacement theory fucksticks is not doing this out of concern for anti Semitism.

They are doing it to throw red meat to their rabid , hyperventilating base, who hates the protestors.

Nothing more.

So much for free speech.

When the definition of antisemitism is so broad as to encompass any criticism of another nation we should be concerned.

I hate to break it to you guys, but the party that embraces the jew replacement theory fucksticks is not doing this out of concern for anti Semitism.

They are doing it to throw red meat to their rabid , hyperventilating base, who hates the protestors.

Nothing more.
The irony of people who embrace an antisemitic conspiracy theory complaining about antisemitism is priceless.

He will, but he will water it down to disguise the fact that the horrific, extreme bigotry currently plaguing the country is against Jews. They will expand it to say that they are against all forms of bigotry….that against blacks, and Muslims, and gays, and transgenders, and……… oh yeah, the Jews too.
How strange that you do not oppose all forms of bigotry. Not surprising.

How strange that you do not oppose all forms of bigotry. Not surprising.
^^^ and there goes the mod, who has called me “Princess,” calling me a bigot.

The biggest crisis in bigotry right now is antisemitism. Strange how you deflect from that to bring up Islamophobia, which is not even close to the same level.

Let the Arab countries take the Gazans. Why should America get stuck with more antisemites? This is just a blatant vote-buying attempt by Biden, for the Michigan Muslimsl He doesn’t give a flying F what the Jews are suffering right now. And that it will make things even WORSE for Jews.

Nothing more.
Of course the bill will pass. It has strong bipartisan support and if Biden refuses to sign it, it will split the party.

The bill does not equate criticism of Israel with antisemitism. Perhaps you should read it before forming an opinion of it.

The bill does not equate criticism of Israel with antisemitism. Perhaps you should read it before forming an opinion of it.
I understand it. It bars discrimination based on, etc.

But it's what the bill may (and will) allow. And that is equating what is now free speech criticism of Israel with anti semitism, i.e., discrimination against a Jewish collective.

I understand it. It bars discrimination based on, etc.

But it's what the bill may (and will) allow. And that is equating what is now free speech criticism of Israel with anti semitism, i.e., discrimination against a Jewish collective.
It does not equate criticism of Israel with antisemitism. With regard to Israel, here are the examples of what may be antisemitic:

What is Anti-Semitism Relative to Israel?​

EXAMPLES of the ways in which anti-Semitism manifests itself with regard to the state of Israel, taking into account the overall context could include:

DEMONIZE ISRAEL:

• Using the symbols and images associated with classic anti-Semitism to characterize Israel or Israelis
  • Drawing comparisons of contemporary Israeli policy to that of the Nazis
  • Blaming Israel for all inter-religious or political tensions
DOUBLE STANDARD FOR ISRAEL:

• Applying double standards by requiring of it a behavior not expected or demanded of any other democratic nation
  • Multilateral organizations focusing on Israel only for peace or human rights investigations
DELEGITIMIZE ISRAEL:

• Denying the Jewish people their right to self-determination, and denying Israel the right to exist
However, criticism of Israel similar to that leveled against any other country cannot be regarded as anti-Semitic.

What part of that limits legitimate criticism of Israel?

Forum List

Back