Should we be worried?

Of course.
And they add that durability "without much extra cost?"

Your points were that structures should be made to withstand extreme weather events and that can be done without much extra cost.

Of course.
1714916647774.png

And they add that durability "without much extra cost?"

Your points were that structures should be made to withstand extreme weather events and that can be done without much extra cost.
I've already made the case for mitigating those costs. Also, we need to create new building systems that wouldn't increase costs very much.

I've already made the case for mitigating those costs. Also, we need to create new building systems that wouldn't increase costs very much.
Your position was it can be done for not much more and you have not proven that at all. Not too mention log cabin homes would still be damaged by extreme weather events and be more costly to repair when they are.

You are losing badly.

Your position was it can be done for not much more and you have not proven that at all. Not too mention log cabin homes would still be damaged by extreme weather events and be more costly to repair when they are.

You are losing badly.
I think I'm winning the battle of ideas. And, you haven't proven that such structures would actually cost substantially more than 'stick-built' homes. Also, we need to define what 'substantially more cost' actually is, five, ten, twenty percent more? We can't know until we build and test comparative models.

I think I'm winning the battle of ideas. And, you haven't proven that such structures would actually cost substantially more than 'stick-built' homes. Also, we need to define what 'substantially more cost' actually is, five, ten, twenty percent more? We can't know until we build and test comparative models.
If you can't tell that the market has already made that determination by what they are building now, I'll probably not be able to convince you otherwise. What you are describing as a battle ideas is more like a utopian fantasy that is divorced from reality.

If you can't tell that the market has already made that determination by what they are building now, I'll probably not be able to convince you otherwise. What you are describing as a battle ideas is more like a utopian fantasy that is divorced from reality.
The wild weather, especially widespread flooding, may change the narrative. Anyway, not much will happen until the present real estate turmoil, and the economy in general, settles down.

Light frame construction won't survive the earthquakes we can expect here ... but those earthquakes are so far apart it really is cost-effective to just keep rebuilding after every event ...we average a M 9.5 event every 300 years, last one was 325 years ago ... do the math ...

New Orleans fills to the brim every 50 years ... we keep pumping out the water and rebuilding because it is profitable to do so ... any port at the mouth of the Mississippi will flood every 50 years ... but we need port there, so we rebuild ...

Concrete works great in compression, 1/2" steel cladding works great in tension ... that'll survive any kind of weather except flood ...

New Orleans fills to the brim every 50 years ... we keep pumping out the water and rebuilding because it is profitable to do so ... any port at the mouth of the Mississippi will flood every 50 years ... but we need port there, so we rebuild ...

Profitable for who?

1715019632975.png

(Pictured, Texas flood.)

Last edited:
This should help make my point.

The wild weather, especially widespread flooding, may change the narrative. Anyway, not much will happen until the present real estate turmoil, and the economy in general, settles down.
Wild weather? There's always been extreme weather. And nothing different will happen. The homes that exist aren't going anywhere.

Wild weather? There's always been extreme weather. And nothing different will happen. The homes that exist aren't going anywhere.
Let's each declare ourselves the winner and move on.

no you didn't, you stated to me that you have no idea what those would include. Remember, I asked you for your designs, which you claimed you didn't have. So you have no fking idea clueless Joe.

Let's each declare ourselves the winner and move on.
Sure. It's just that... Lumber is the number one material used in almost any home — and for good reason. It’s extremely versatile, easy to source, durable and inexpensive when compared to other options.

Forum List

Back