You’re “weightless “ in water

And if you weighed yourself in free fall or floating on water ??
Zero pounds ??

:laugh: you're still at this. Look at the force acting upon you. If you're in free fall, then your body still has the same mass, but are accelerating downward right? Thus, you aren't weightless. You only feel weightless like when you're floating on water. What is causing you to accelerate downward? That's right -- gravity. There is no place in the universe one can't escape gravity, so any mass will fall. Weight = mass x acceleration of gravity.

Zero pounds ??

:laugh: you're still at this. Look at the force acting upon you. If you're in free fall, then your body still has the same mass, but are accelerating downward right? Thus, you aren't weightless. What is causing you to accelerate downward? That's right -- gravity. There is no place in the universe one can't escape gravity, so any mass will fall. Weight = mass x acceleration of gravity.
I mean when you hit terminal velocity? You no longer have any acceleration force ??
God damn “ spooky Jewish “ physics is confusing me to death

Zero pounds ??

:laugh: you're still at this. Look at the force acting upon you. If you're in free fall, then your body still has the same mass, but are accelerating downward right? Thus, you aren't weightless. What is causing you to accelerate downward? That's right -- gravity. There is no place in the universe one can't escape gravity, so any mass will fall. Weight = mass x acceleration of gravity.
I mean when you hit terminal velocity? You no longer have any acceleration force ??

Then the acceleration of gravity has reached its maximum or steady speed, so it would be mass x terminal velocity. It would be still quite a bit of force if you hit something.

Usually, if you're above the earth is a pod or something, then you want to get into an orbit and gradually fall to Earth or someplace. Else you could burn up as you enter the atmosphere as the friction heats up your mass.

Terminal velocity is caused by air friction ... pointed upwards ... when frictional forces = gravity, we stop accelerating but continue to fall ...

Weight and mass are different things ... related, by distinctly different ...

The next time your blubber body is floating in a pool - it’s hard to believe that you actually weigh zero !!
Even a blue whale weighs zero in the ocean !!
You have zero weight if you’re floating on water

Same Is true if you’re jumping out of an airplane or floating in outer space ( assuming your space craft is not accelerating)
Weird ??

A human frozen into water and cut out has the exact weight of the human and the water, as for liquid water the answer is more abstract.
The first ambiguity stems from the common confusion (and incomprehension) of the two terms: mass and weight. Mass is a measure of amount of matter in an object. Weight is a measure of the pull of gravity on an object. Mass is universal, weight is local. the second ambiguity is in the phrase “in water”. Just exactly how much of this man is in water? Is he wading? Is he pedaling to stay afloat? Is he scuba diving? Also, we might look into if it’s fresh water or salt water. The answers would differ by as much by 5% or more. If the salt water was the Dead Sea, then the answers would differ by 25%!

We must decide that the man is on Earth. His mass is 100 kg. He will have that mass wherever he is located in the Universe. But his weight will differ. On earth, if we attach a spring scale on him, the scale will tell us that he will weigh nearly a thousand newtons. Or, it will tell us that he weighs 220 lbs.

Case 1: we will take that the volume of this man is approximately 0.09 cubic meters (about 3.5 cubic feet). We are going to assume that he’s totally immersed (submerged) in water (shallow scuba diving). There would be an upthrust on this man (a buoyant force) of 220 lbs. So if we hook him to a scale, the scale will read zero. This called his “apparent weight in water”. BUT his MASS will still be 100 kg.

Case 2: he is pedaling to stay afloat and half his body is immersed. Then there is approximately 110 lbs of upthrust on him and the scale would read 110 lbs. But his mass will still be 100 kg.

Case 3: he is walking in shallow water, with the water up to his neck. The upthrust would be nearly 200 lbs and the scale will read 20 lbs, but his mass will still be 100 kg.

Your brain is weightless even on the Jupiter

The next time your blubber body is floating in a pool - it’s hard to believe that you actually weigh zero !!

Same Is true if you’re jumping out of an airplane or floating in outer space ( assuming your space craft is not accelerating)
Weird ??

A human frozen into water and cut out has the exact weight of the human and the water, as for liquid water the answer is more abstract.
The first ambiguity stems from the common confusion (and incomprehension) of the two terms: mass and weight. Mass is a measure of amount of matter in an object. Weight is a measure of the pull of gravity on an object. Mass is universal, weight is local. the second ambiguity is in the phrase “in water”. Just exactly how much of this man is in water? Is he wading? Is he pedaling to stay afloat? Is he scuba diving? Also, we might look into if it’s fresh water or salt water. The answers would differ by as much by 5% or more. If the salt water was the Dead Sea, then the answers would differ by 25%!

We must decide that the man is on Earth. His mass is 100 kg. He will have that mass wherever he is located in the Universe. But his weight will differ. On earth, if we attach a spring scale on him, the scale will tell us that he will weigh nearly a thousand newtons. Or, it will tell us that he weighs 220 lbs.

Case 1: we will take that the volume of this man is approximately 0.09 cubic meters (about 3.5 cubic feet). We are going to assume that he’s totally immersed (submerged) in water (shallow scuba diving). There would be an upthrust on this man (a buoyant force) of 220 lbs. So if we hook him to a scale, the scale will read zero. This called his “apparent weight in water”. BUT his MASS will still be 100 kg.

Case 2: he is pedaling to stay afloat and half his body is immersed. Then there is approximately 110 lbs of upthrust on him and the scale would read 110 lbs. But his mass will still be 100 kg.

Case 3: he is walking in shallow water, with the water up to his neck. The upthrust would be nearly 200 lbs and the scale will read 20 lbs, but his mass will still be 100 kg.

So basically the answer is complex and varies a great deal on the circumstances
No simple answer
What about your weight in a free fall in an elevator??

I have actually floated in the Dead Sea !!
Oddly there was many “ hefty Jews “ in there

No simple answer

There's a full year's course work in college for this ... typically Freshmen year for STEM fields ...

My weight is the same no matter the free fall ... gravity is gravity ...

Weird ??
Tell that to the poor duck that was minding it's own business floating around a Georgia pond before
Stacy Abrams jumped in. R.I.P. broke neck Ducky!

Weird ??

No simple answer
When a bullet is shot up into the air it has mass, weight and g forces added. At some point if fired straight up the energy fades and the bullet comes to a stop, and for just a brief moment when the upward momentum is in perfect equilibrium with the downward pull of gravity the bullet would be weightless. Same phenomenon on the vomit comet or on certain amusement park rides. However in free fall you weigh more because of added G's

I don't have near enough coffee in my belly for this ... but you all know that's not going to stop me ... our equations of state:

d = a/2 t^2 + vo t + do [where d=current position, a=acceleration, t=time, vo=initial velocity and do=initial position],
v = at + vo [where v=current velocity], and
a = a

Neglecting air and marksmanship ... acceleration is -32 ft/s/s ... our muzzle velocity is +1100 ft/s ... sitting in our foxhole, the muzzle is ground level 0 ft ... first thing to notice is our bullet's acceleration is constant through it's entire trajectory ... gravity is always pulling it down (negative sign) even though our bullet is going up (positive sign) ... therefore our bullet always experiences weight by Newton's 2nd Law of Motion ( weight = mass x acceleration ) ...

Now for some fun ... how high does our bullet go? ... start with the second equation above and note that at the peak of the trajectory, our bullet's motionless or v = 0 ft/s ... substituting gives us 0 = -32 ft/s/s t + 1100 ft/s ... solving for t = 34.4 s ... substituting this into our first equation above ... d = (-32 ft/s/s)(34.4s)^2/2 + 1100 ft/s (34.4s) + 0 ft ... = 18,900 ft ...

Notice it doesn't matter the mass ... our 2 grain 1/8 in bullet and our 1,000 lbs (31.25 slug) 18 in AP shell both reach bit over 3.5 miles up, then returns to Earth for the same muzzle velocity of 1100 ft/s ... this is Galileo's greatest contribution to science ... it's a myth he dropped two different masses off the Tower of Pisa, instead he set up a slider mechanism in his dorm room while attending college ... and thus determined that acceleration due to gravity is independent of mass ... the giant whose shoulders Newton stood upon ...

I don't have near enough coffee in my belly for this ... but you all know that's not going to stop me ... our equations of state:

d = a/2 t^2 + vo t + do [where d=current position, a=acceleration, t=time, vo=initial velocity and do=initial position],
v = at + vo [where v=current velocity], and
a = a

Neglecting air and marksmanship ... acceleration is -32 ft/s/s ... our muzzle velocity is +1100 ft/s ... sitting in our foxhole, the muzzle is ground level 0 ft ... first thing to notice is our bullet's acceleration is constant through it's entire trajectory ... gravity is always pulling it down (negative sign) even though our bullet is going up (positive sign) ... therefore our bullet always experiences weight by Newton's 2nd Law of Motion ( weight = mass x acceleration ) ...

Now for some fun ... how high does our bullet go? ... start with the second equation above and note that at the peak of the trajectory, our bullet's motionless or v = 0 ft/s ... substituting gives us 0 = -32 ft/s/s t + 1100 ft/s ... solving for t = 34.4 s ... substituting this into our first equation above ... d = (-32 ft/s/s)(34.4s)^2/2 + 1100 ft/s (34.4s) + 0 ft ... = 18,900 ft ...

Notice it doesn't matter the mass ... our 2 grain 1/8 in bullet and our 1,000 lbs (31.25 slug) 18 in AP shell both reach bit over 3.5 miles up, then returns to Earth for the same muzzle velocity of 1100 ft/s ... this is Galileo's greatest contribution to science ... it's a myth he dropped two different masses off the Tower of Pisa, instead he set up a slider mechanism in his dorm room while attending college ... and thus determined that acceleration due to gravity is independent of mass ... the giant whose shoulders Newton stood upon ...
There is no need to delve into equations as a person weighs the same in water as on land. The water merely effects buoyancy and the feel sensed by the individual. I already satisficed this by showing that a person who falls thru the ice, drowns and is frozen into the ice and is cut out by a saw will have the weight of their body plus the ice (water) when weighed. When all the ice melts the person will once again weigh the same as they did when falling into the water plus the amount of water still in the lungs.

There is no need to delve into equations as a person weighs the same in water as on land. The water merely effects buoyancy and the feel sensed by the individual. I already satisficed this by showing that a person who falls thru the ice, drowns and is frozen into the ice and is cut out by a saw will have the weight of their body plus the ice (water) when weighed. When all the ice melts the person will once again weigh the same as they did when falling into the water plus the amount of water still in the lungs.

No need to pick a fight either ... see how I gave a "thumbs up" on your post #26 ... my apologies for providing the mathematics that proves your claims ... what a bastard I am ...

No need to pick a fight either ... see how I gave a "thumbs up" on your post #26 ... my apologies for providing the mathematics that proves your claims ... what a bastard I am ...
Not trying to pick a fight but I am pissed off about our fake world. However the internet says that people are weightless in water which is wrong no matter what supposed genius says it, so the internet is nothing more than a disinformation machine. It goes deeper than fake news.

Not trying to pick a fight but I am pissed off about our fake world. However the internet says that people are weightless in water which is wrong no matter what supposed genius says it, so the internet is nothing more than a disinformation machine. It goes deeper than fake news.

It's more of a question of what is intuitive and what is deductive ... the two aren't always the same ...

It's an old saying but I must insist it's true ... the World Wide Web is very much like an elephant with diarrhea ... both generate enormous amounts of shit in a very short period of time ...

It's more of a question of what is intuitive and what is deductive ... the two aren't always the same ...

It's an old saying but I must insist it's true ... the World Wide Web is very much like an elephant with diarrhea ... both generate enormous amounts of shit in a very short period of time ...
The amount of fakery of one type or another is staggering. In fact even your own thoughts are fake, if they are based on any sort of fake information

Weird ??

Maybe not. If you were truly weightless, you'd float on the water like a leaf. When you or a whale get into water, you DISPLACE A VOLUME OF WATER EQUAL TO YOUR WEIGHT until you and the water find equilibrium, because you HAVE weight.

You may seem to float weightless after that, but that's a far cry from BEING weightless.

The amount of fakery of one type or another is staggering. In fact even your own thoughts are fake, if they are based on any sort of fake information

Homer's Iliad describes how the Greeks faked the Trojans with a hollow horse statue filled with Greek soldiers ...
War always contains trickery. What I am referring to is everyday fakery. Such as the fake covid pandemic, they tell us how many people die of covid each day in the USA but never acknowledge that 7500 people die in the USA every day covid or no covid. So are more than 7500 people dying each day? as the number dying of covid is the number in excess of 7500. No one wants to mention this. Then there are the diet sodas with aspartame or sucralose that are adding to obesity

Then there is the crap that DNA wrote itself.

I even heard a news report that Joe Biden was not senile

Forum List

Back