Your Speech Is Packed With Misunderstood, Unconscious Messages

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
direct

I wonā€™t name him, but we all know of a major figure who couldnā€™t speak one sentence without an um or an uh. Oh yeah, and lots of Is.

Saying ā€œumā€ is the speakerā€™s way of signaling that processing is ongoing, the verbal equivalent of a computerā€™s spinning circle. People sometimes have more disfluencies while speaking in public, ironically, because they are trying hard not to misspeak.

So says the author.

More @ Your Speech Is Packed With Misunderstood, Unconscious Messages - Nautilus - Pocket

I used to work with this Arab who I would avoid talking to because of his constant "ehhhhhhhhh'. I was like he couldn't have a second of silence.

"Can you ehhhh go out to aehhhh the aircraft and verify ehhhh that the ehhhh pods are aehhhhh attached?"

Many years ago I attended a couple of Toastmaster public speaker meetings to improve my communications skills.

I learned the most egregious offense a person speaking in public was the constant interjecting of "um" between sentences. ... :cool:

direct

I wonā€™t name him, but we all know of a major figure who couldnā€™t speak one sentence without an um or an uh. Oh yeah, and lots of Is.

Saying ā€œumā€ is the speakerā€™s way of signaling that processing is ongoing, the verbal equivalent of a computerā€™s spinning circle. People sometimes have more disfluencies while speaking in public, ironically, because they are trying hard not to misspeak.

So says the author.

More @ Your Speech Is Packed With Misunderstood, Unconscious Messages - Nautilus - Pocket
Um...always call a Barry a Barry.

It's no secret that subconscious pervert Joe Biden can't put a sentence together without hugging some babe or slapping Hillary on the ass.

Forum List

Back