You think you're pro-2nd but you're not

woodwork201

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2021
The fact is, most gun owners support gun control. Most gun owners on this site, support gun control. As an actual pro-2nd-Amendment gun owner, this is very disappointing to me.

You've all read it from me, that the 2nd Amendment says, "Shall not be infringed", and that if you don't support that the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed then you do not support the 2nd Amendment.

For the first 149 years in this country, no attempt was made by the Federal Government to restrict anyone not in prison or jail or a mental hospital from keeping and bearing arms. For the next 30 years, only violent felons were banned. Then in 1968, it became felony litterers as well.

What changed? Was it always acceptable under the Constitution?

For the first 202 years, no background checks were required; it wasn't necessary to get the government's permission in order to exercise a constitutionally protected right.

In Miller, the Supreme Court said that only weapons suited for military use are protected. In Heller, the Court said that weapons suited for military use are not protected and only commonly used, non-military, weapons are protected.

Of course none of these restrictions meet the "shall not be infringed" clause.

So, if you support these restrictions then can you truly claim to support "shall not be infringed"? If you don't support "shall not be infringed" then do you really support the 2nd Amendment?

You might actually support a limited right (privilege) for some people to keep and bear some arms but that doesn't meet the requirements of the 2nd Amendment. The Amendment requires, "shall not be infringed".

Very many gun owners here, and across the nation, talk about reasonable infringements, calling them reasonable restrictions. Their hearts are in the right place; they're emotional about gun deaths and murdered children - more so than the gun grabbers on the left - so they ignore, or are otherwise willing to accept, reasonable infringements.

Gun owners and advocates of the right to keep and bear arms regularly talk about the emotionally-driven responses on the left while supporting gun control driven by their own emotions. Both are wrong. The Constitution must drive the law, not emotions.

Gun owners regularly point out that only the law-abiding obey the gun laws but then, out of emotion, support all sorts of gun control laws that have been proven to do nothing to reduce crime - but they just don't have the no-compromise commitment to their principles or to the 2nd Amendment to publicly call for the end of every infringement and to say that they're all unconstitutional.

So, I'll just say, as the title of this thread says, realizing this will be a hard pill for you to swallow and admit to yourselves, and other than perhaps one or two others on this site, perhaps one or two percent of other gun owners in the nation, no, you may be pro gun, you may like guns, but you do not support the 2nd Amendment.

In Heller, the Court said that weapons suited for military use are not protected and only commonly used, non-military, weapons are protected.

No they didn't. They said their ruling didn't necessarily mean all guns were protected. They never said they were not though.

You have to keep the cases coming for job security.

The fact is, most gun owners support gun control. Most gun owners on this site, support gun control. As an actual pro-2nd-Amendment gun owner, this is very disappointing to me.

You've all read it from me, that the 2nd Amendment says, "Shall not be infringed", and that if you don't support that the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed then you do not support the 2nd Amendment.

For the first 149 years in this country, no attempt was made by the Federal Government to restrict anyone not in prison or jail or a mental hospital from keeping and bearing arms. For the next 30 years, only violent felons were banned. Then in 1968, it became felony litterers as well.

For the first 202 years, no background checks were required; it wasn't necessary to get the government's permission in order to exercise a constitutionally protected right.

In Miller, the Supreme Court said that only weapons suited for military use are protected. In Heller, the Court said that weapons suited for military use are not protected and only commonly used, non-military, weapons are protected.

So, if you support these restrictions then can you truly claim to support "shall not be infringed"? If you don't support "shall not be infringed" then do you really support the 2nd Amendment?

You might actually support a limited right (privilege) for some people to keep and bear some arms but that doesn't meet the requirements of the 2nd Amendment. The Amendment requires, "shall not be infringed".

Very many gun owners here, and across the nation, talk about reasonable infringements, calling them reasonable restrictions. Their hearts are in the right place; they're emotional about gun deaths and murdered children - more so than the gun grabbers on the left - so they ignore, or are otherwise willing to accept, reasonable infringements.

Gun owners and advocates of the right to keep and bear arms regularly talk about the emotionally-driven responses on the left while supporting gun control driven by their own emotions. Both are wrong. The Constitution must drive the law, not emotions.

Gun owners regularly point out that only the law-abiding obey the gun laws but then, out of emotion, support all sorts of gun control laws that have been proven to do nothing to reduce crime - but they just don't have the no-compromise commitment to their principles or to the 2nd Amendment to publicly call for the end of every infringement and to say that they're all unconstitutional.

So, I'll just say, as the title of this thread says, realizing this will be a hard pill for you to swallow and admit to yourselves, and other than perhaps one or two others on this site, perhaps one or two percent of other gun owners in the nation, no, you may be pro gun, you may like guns, but you do not support the 2nd Amendment.

The Supreme Court is not infallible. The Heller decision was as much a mistake as was their first ruling on Roe vs. Wade.

And Roe vs. Wade has been for all practical purposes, overturned.

In Heller, the Court said that weapons suited for military use are not protected and only commonly used, non-military, weapons are protected.

No they didn't. They said their ruling didn't necessarily mean all guns were protected. They never said they were not though.

You have to keep the cases coming for job security.
That's a good point; technically they just declared that the Heller decision didn't overturn the NFA, they intentionally and explicitly left it alone. The outcome is the same. They didn't protect military weapons and added the new restriction of commonly used.

The Supreme Court is not infallible. The Heller decision was as much a mistake as was their first ruling on Roe vs. Wade.

And Roe vs. Wade has been for all practical purposes, overturned.
That's very true. People hold Scalia up as a gun-rights Justice - and he certainly did a lot for gun rights as they stand today but, overall, he was a gun controller, just less so than many others.

I was born to own a firearm.

God made me with this desire to have a firearm.

Those that don't like firearm possession have a secret desire to own a firearm. They are actually firearm curious.

What I own in the privacy of my own home is nobody's business.

We need more education to stop gun ownership discrimination.

We need to teach gun safety in schools so that young people can understand that gun ownership is safe, natural, and normal....

Children need counseling for when they decide that they need to own a gun...so that they can fully explore their feelings on Semi-auto, revolver, magazines, handguns, and rifles. We don't want them to feel discrimination for their choices.

The NFA is as unconstitutional as RvW was but good luck getting a case before SCOTUS that they will take.....Machine guns are scary.

And no, violent felons should not have access to guns upon discharge....Ever. Work around them and you will understand why.

That said there is no reason a non-violent felon of sound mind should not have all federal/state rights restored upon their discharge.

I want rocket launchers, and mines, lots of mines. Bazookas, and of course some guns for my 6 and 8 year old kids to go to school with.

The NFA is as unconstitutional as RvW was but good luck getting a case before SCOTUS that they will take.....Machine guns are scary.

And no, violent felons should not have access to guns upon discharge....Ever. Work around them and you will understand why.

That said there is no reason a non-violent felon of sound mind should not have all federal/state rights restored upon their discharge.
One can petition for return of rights to I believe treasury secretary.

The public lets these things happen.
They gleefully bent over and spread 'em for TSA 4th violations....then they lined up for masks and needles.
What else did I miss?

No laws whatsoever. And give me a fucking machine gun
Thomas Jefferson said

“I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and Constitutions. But laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors.”​

Thomas Jefferson said

“I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and Constitutions. But laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors.”​

Cool story bro. Get an amendment.

Thomas Jefferson said

So much for going back to muskets.

Yeah, I agree: I don't like all this licensing and classes and such idiocy.

I just read that Indiana allows anyone over 18 (I think it was) to carry guns in public; the implication was no licensing, but I don't know if that was just a mistake by a lazy reporter. Does anyone know?

Yeah, I agree: I don't like all this licensing and classes and such idiocy.

I just read that Indiana allows anyone over 18 (I think it was) to carry guns in public; the implication was no licensing, but I don't know if that was just a mistake by a lazy reporter. Does anyone know?

You don't need any permission in WV.

Thomas Jefferson said

Way to take that quote completely out of context.

Forum List

Back