You idiots supporting national minimum wage increase to $15/hour READ this!!!

minimum wage hike or no these robots will replace these jobs.

20-30 years from now fast food shops will be automated. stores will be automated. we're going to live in a reality where the robots build it, package it, load it, transport it, stock it, pick it from stock and deliver it to the end user. The item never gets touched by a human until the drone drops it on your driveway.

Same will happen with these fast food jobs. The robots will be cheaper than the humans over time, as this new technology becomes get less expensive over time.
I agree! But why then push for the mechanism that will ASSURE it happens...i.e. raising minimum wage? Just putting these kids out of work.

So why isn't every food business using these machines.
I don't buy the argument that the Minimum Wage is the reason these machines were developed.

Then why were they developed if not to reduce the number of employees required? How about robotic welding on auto assembly lines? Would they have been developed if the UAW had not demanded wages and benefits that would have destroyed the industry?
Cost Effectiveness, Accuracy and overall advancement of an outdated method of serving customers.
I expect vehicles to be driverless within 5 years.

OK, back to burger flippers. Is it better to have teens working for $10/hour or to have them on the street and burgers being flipped by robots?

That's the trade off, deal with it.
Minimum Wage is a band-aid on failed Economic & Education Policies.

minimum wage hike or no these robots will replace these jobs.

20-30 years from now fast food shops will be automated. stores will be automated. we're going to live in a reality where the robots build it, package it, load it, transport it, stock it, pick it from stock and deliver it to the end user. The item never gets touched by a human until the drone drops it on your driveway.

Same will happen with these fast food jobs. The robots will be cheaper than the humans over time, as this new technology becomes get less expensive over time.
I agree! But why then push for the mechanism that will ASSURE it happens...i.e. raising minimum wage? Just putting these kids out of work.

raising the minimum wage will increase the benefit and therefore the implementation rate of this technology, little doubt about that.

in some ways it could be argued in this scenario that this technological implementation, if pushed by jacking the wage, will push the larger companies to move fast now before smaller organizations can afford this technology. This will lead to further consolidation in these markets, which will lead to further job losses than if this were done over time to allow smaller companies to adapt as well.

I see the other side of the argument also, really, but the market is cruel and simply doesn't give a damn......

Yeah, I don't think any of you have actually worked in fast food. The ordering system for mcdonalds is alot more complicated then you'd think, and letting people use machines to do it only produces more mistakes. The people on the 'table' where the food is assembled go off of what is entered at the FC/BC, and the customers generally don't understand how it's supposed to be wrung up. For example, right now, MCD'S is running something called the "mcpick" or whatever. The way these ordering systems work, it will not automatically bundle the items for the "mcpick" so when a customer rings up a mcchicken and decides they want something like a mcdouble later in the order, do you honestly think they'll know how to void the item and renavigate to re-enter the 2 for 2 option? Of course not, and even when they do this, it just fucks up the assembly on the table, slowing everything down. Let's not forget that at the front counter there are generally only 2-3 people actually taking orders, the majority of employees work on table/the headset/cleaning.. And they're not going to automate all of that anytime soon. That's just one example in regards to the "automated ordering." Then there's the problem of people deciding to ring up a bunch of shit and voiding it off, the way the system works, it appears on the table's screen before the order is even done, and it's expected that they begin basic assembly at that point... (For the record, I don't support a $15 minimum wage.)

So why isn't every food business using these machines.
I don't buy the argument that the Minimum Wage is the reason these machines were developed.

Then why were they developed if not to reduce the number of employees required? How about robotic welding on auto assembly lines? Would they have been developed if the UAW had not demanded wages and benefits that would have destroyed the industry?
Cost Effectiveness, Accuracy and overall advancement of an outdated method of serving customers.
I expect vehicles to be driverless within 5 years.

OK, back to burger flippers. Is it better to have teens working for $10/hour or to have them on the street and burgers being flipped by robots?

That's the trade off, deal with it.
Minimum Wage is a band-aid on failed Economic & Education Policies.

Yep, 50 years of liberal policies from both parties are coming home to roost.

Forum List

Back