YAY!! Let's drill in Alaska!! :) woot!

The Alaska Permanent Fund Oil Dividend

23 years of dividends paid out to every Alaskan adult man, woman and their children.

2004 $919.84
2003 $1107.56
2002 $1540.76
2001 $1850.28
2000 $1963.86
1999 $1769.84
1998 $1540.88
1997 $1296.54
1996 $1130.68
1995 $990.30
1994 $983.90
1993 $949.46
1992 $915.84
1991 $931.34
1990 $952.63
1989 $873.16
1988 $826.93
1987 $708.19
1986 $556.26
1985 $404.00
1984 $331.29
1983 $386.15
1982 $1000.00

Now I don't knock Alaskans for getting this cash. I'm just pointing out this is a huge factor that affects their attitude on ANWR.

Itsthetruth said:
Kathianne said:
No problem. About 75% of Alaskans approve of ANWR. Do you know why? It's not just about jobs, something unemployed Alaskan's need whatever the source. It's about hard cold cash. Tens of thousands of dollars in direct cash payouts to every adult man, woman and even their children who reside in Alaska.

It's the oil dividend plan. And I'm not talking about normal dividends payed out to stock owners.

What's really amazing is that even with these yearly cash payouts and the promise of bigger ones to all residents of Alaska with ANWR oil drilling, so many Alaskans are opposed to ANWR!

If someone offered to pay you about $2,000 every year for every member of your family, just for supporting a legislative bill would you support the Alaskan pipeline and ANWR? And yet 25% of Alaskan's say "hell no!" Now that's truly amazing.

Did you post the article stating 75% support already, and I missed it? Either way, it sounds a lot like the agreement the James Bay Cree signed with Hydro Quebec the Fed and provincial governments. Probably one of the best agreements signed to date.

Itsthetruth said:
Kathianne said:
No problem. About 75% of Alaskans approve of ANWR. Do you know why? It's not just about jobs, something unemployed Alaskan's need whatever the source. It's about hard cold cash. Tens of thousands of dollars in direct cash payouts to every adult man, woman and even their children who reside in Alaska.

It's the oil dividend plan. And I'm not talking about normal dividends payed out to stock owners.

What's really amazing is that even with these yearly cash payouts and the promise of bigger ones to all residents of Alaska with ANWR oil drilling, so many Alaskans are opposed to ANWR!

If someone offered to pay you about $2,000 every year for every member of your family, just for supporting a legislative bill would you support the Alaskan pipeline and ANWR? And yet 25% of Alaskan's say "hell no!" Now that's truly amazing.

and they should reject this why?

Itsthetruth said:
The Alaska Permanent Fund Oil Dividend

23 years of dividends paid out to every Alaskan adult man, woman and their children.

2004 $919.84
2003 $1107.56
2002 $1540.76
2001 $1850.28
2000 $1963.86
1999 $1769.84
1998 $1540.88
1997 $1296.54
1996 $1130.68
1995 $990.30
1994 $983.90
1993 $949.46
1992 $915.84
1991 $931.34
1990 $952.63
1989 $873.16
1988 $826.93
1987 $708.19
1986 $556.26
1985 $404.00
1984 $331.29
1983 $386.15
1982 $1000.00

Now I don't knock Alaskans for getting this cash. I'm just pointing out this is a huge factor that affects their attitude on ANWR.

You forgot the link. http://www.apfc.org/alaska/dividendprgrm.cfm

Kathianne said:
Itsthetruth said:
and they should reject this why?

For the environmental reasons indicated by Alaskan natives and others who want to protect the coastal plain.

The name given to it, the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) is self-explanatory.

Itsthetruth said:
Kathianne said:
For the environmental reasons indicated by Alaskan natives and others who want to protect the coastal plain.

The name given to it, the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) is self-explanatory.

You just posted that 75% of Alaskan Natives wanted this to go through. Names mean nothing, Shakespeare answered that centuries ago.

So its just the vast majority of Alaskans who are worried about making or losing money on this deal...while the poor Native Americans are just worried about their food supply??!??! Seems to me that people on BOTH sides of this debate could benefit from a bit of intellectual honesty.

How about the Gwichin Indians, who oppose ANWR development because they claim to rely on the caribou for food?

The Gwichin indians live on the other side of the Brooks range! During the 80's, they actually leased the 1.9 million acres for oil exploration, and didn't find any. It is rumoured that they now rely on money from environmental groups who pay them to oppose ANWR development.

The indians living in ANWR are the Inupiat Eskimos, who according to the most recent polls favor development by an over 80% margin. Their cousins in the Prudhoe Bay area have benefited greatly from oil development in that area. Their economic situation has improved, their rate of infant mortality has improved etc.

http://www.cfact.org/site/print.asp?idarticle=176

The more I read, the more I have to discredit the Gwichin Indians objections as environmentalist bankrolled tripe.

Itsthetruth said:
Injun is a racial slur? QUOTE]

Yes it is. Along with "squaws". Just ask any genuine Native American. I've attended "pow wows" and if anyone has used either term at those events they would have gotten a good ass whippin.

And rightfully so!

I went drinking with an injun and double teamed a squaw with him, what the fuck you got to say about that dumbass?

The advance of civilization is inevitable.....it comes with benefits and with disadvantages. What we take from a native, indigenous people when we "civilize" them is their traditions, culture and way of living. Often they are left standing with little or nothing of the structure that supported their culture for centuries. Many Eskimo tribes noted a rise in alcoholism when their need to hunt was opted out for store bought goods and instead of being out on the hunt they were inside watching TV and drinking. Too bad, but they have to be brought into the 21st century with all it woes and contradictions. No easy solution here.
I would like to see ANWR remain as pristine as we can possibly allow it, just for its own sake.
And to address the use of derogatory slang, there is plenty too much of it slung around here. I think personally you just have to consider the source and carry on. To make it too much of an "issue" only empowers those who choose to use it to express themselves.

I knew you already knew about the permenant fund up here, thats why I wasn't about to answer your condescening post to me.
But here's a newflash, there is not, nor have there been any talk about a rise in the permenant fund for ANWR. Yes we recieve a yearly dividend form the first pipeline, and as you can see from the monies we recieve, we sure aren't all becoming millionairs. This money is appreciated, usually it goes to repairing our cars, after a long hard winter.
But for you to suggest that the 75% of Alaskains who support ANWR, is just looking for a free handout, is a slap in every hardworking Alaskans face.
Here's a shocker for you, Wer'e just looking for JOBS, good paying jobs.Let me be REAL clear, do you understand the concept, Good Paying Jobs?
Until all of you who oppose this, walk in our shoes up here (and I doubt many of you would last a few weeks at 50 below zero), then see if wer'e only asking for a free handout. :mad: :banana2:

So Bush beat those pesky eco-maniacs did he??? Sweetness!!! :teeth: :teeth:

I bet all you libs were about to scream, "No blood for oil!!!" and then realized that, umm, this is Alaska we're talking about!!! :teeth:

Stephanie said:
But for you to suggest that the 75% of Alaskains who support ANWR, is just looking for a free handout, is a slap in every hardworking Alaskans face.
Here's a shocker for you, Wer'e just looking for JOBS, good paying jobs.Let me be REAL clear, do you understand the concept, Good Paying Jobs?

I hardly called it a free handout, or welfare. I wrote: " Now I don't knock Alaskans for getting this cash. I'm just pointing out this is a huge factor that affects their attitude on ANWR." So if you have a family of five and receive payments of $10,000 a year, some years, that should certainly take care of car repairs. Good for you!

Some posters here have called Social Security nothing more than a welfare program. I don't think Social Security is "welfare" anymore than the oil payments you receive. Do you agree with me?

Oh yes indeed I do undestand the concept of good paying jobs .... and jobs with pension plans, full health care coverage and other important benefits. It's not just the wages! Isn't that right?

That's why I support the right of working people in Alaska to enter into labor agreements with employers. Unionized labor has always received better pay and benefits than non-union labor overall. So I'm very pleased to learn you support the creation of good union jobs. That demonstrates you're an intelligent person who knows something about work.

Will the jobs you hope are generated via ANWR be good union jobs?

sagegirl said:
The advance of civilization is inevitable.....it comes with benefits and with disadvantages. What we take from a native, indigenous people when we "civilize" them is their traditions, culture and way of living. Often they are left standing with little or nothing of the structure that supported their culture for centuries. Many Eskimo tribes noted a rise in alcoholism when their need to hunt was opted out for store bought goods and instead of being out on the hunt they were inside watching TV and drinking. Too bad, but they have to be brought into the 21st century with all it woes and contradictions. No easy solution here.
I would like to see ANWR remain as pristine as we can possibly allow it, just for its own sake.
And to address the use of derogatory slang, there is plenty too much of it slung around here. I think personally you just have to consider the source and carry on. To make it too much of an "issue" only empowers those who choose to use it to express themselves.

I can appreciate your concern for the land up here, but let me expain to you all, that the Alaskans who live up here have the highest regard for the land. The land is not just used for recreation here, they actually live off the land. There are many homesteaders here in Alaska, who live in cabins, with no running water, or electricty. And thats just how they like it. So they use the land for subsistence, hunting, fishing, and growing food. So if we felt that this drilling would ruin the land, you can bet we would not stand for it. But you have to understand, with the technology today, as I stated earlier, they can repair the land, back to it's pristene nature, you wouldn't even know they had been there. So the people who are saying this will destroy the land, well they don't know what their talking about. I hope this will clear up some concerns for the people, who are opposing this. I have first hand knowledge. I live here. :p:

And what about those large numbers of Alaskans (a 25% minority) who oppose ANWR?

Since your a resident of Alaska you can probably explain their opposition as well as anyone. Just give an honest explanation if you don't mind.

You don't have too of course. Someone may claim I'm demanding you answer a simple question, but as you know by now I don't make demands of anyone.

Itsthetruth said:
And what about those large numbers of Alaskans (a 25% minority) who oppose ANWR?

Since your a resident of Alaska you can probably explain their opposition as well as anyone. Just give an honest explanation if you don't mind.

You don't have too of course. Someone may claim I'm demanding you answer a simple question, but as you know by now I don't make demands of anyone.

Yes we know you don't make demands. You've already heard some of the argurments against it! What more do you want? You want me to say their full of Bs, just like you, OK, there I said it. :sleep: I do live here my dear, so 75% of the people are for this, are you saying wer'e all to stupid to know what is good for US?

Stephanie said:
Yes we know you don't make demands. You've already heard some of the argurments against it! What more do you want? You want me to say their full of Bs, just like you, OK, there I said it. :sleep: I do live here my dear, so 75% of the people are for this, are you saying wer'e all to stupid to know what is good for US?

So that's the most persuasive argument you can make against Alaskan's who oppose ANWR is that they are "full of bs"? That's the very best you can do?

What a powerful rebuttal!!!! Well, you may or may not live in Alaska, I could say I live at the North Pole, but are you really not dependent on that oil dividend to get by? Are you also hoping to get a "good" job in the Arctic Circle if ANWR is actually explored?

Just a few simple questions. You don't have to answer them of course. As you know, I don't make demands on other posters.

Itsthetruth said:
So that's the most persuasive argument you can make against Alaskan's who oppose ANWR is that they are "full of bs"? That's the very best you can do?

What a powerful rebuttal!!!! Well, you may or may not live in Alaska, I could say I live at the North Pole, but are you really not dependent on that oil dividend to get by? Are you also hoping to get a "good" job in the Arctic Circle if ANWR is actually explored?

Just a few simple questions. You don't have to answer them of course. As you know, I don't make demands on other posters.

You know considering your "Ann Coulter needs medical help" arguments. Im not sure you really have a place critisizing others for unpersuasive arguments.

Forum List

Back