Wyoming House working to end "Gun Free Zone" killing fields....

Obviously those who support this idiocy have never shot a semi-automatic handgun and are ignorant of the fact that it takes training and extensive practice to become consistently accurate and proficient with shot placement, even at short distances.

So again, this idiocy is reckless and irresponsible – an inexperienced, untrained individual such as a teacher or janitor is going to be wildly inaccurate with shot placement, particularly in the chaos and confusion of an actual incident, and end up killing only the children they're supposed to 'protect.'

I'm not sure if your point. It's obvious they have few shootings because they have a small population and no big cities. DC is a city so it really shouldn't be compared to states.
nonsense. There are less people in Wyoming than D.C. And we are talking about murders per 100000 people so we are talking proportional not nominal values to account for population differences.

The fact is. The number of blacks in an area is a far better determinant of the number of gun murders than the rate gun ownership in the area

In DC there are people packed together everywhere. In Wyoming you would have to search for hours just to find somebody to shoot. I'm exaggerating because you don't seem to get it.
So guns don't kill people. Population density does. The fact is, you don't even know what you are saying or the arguments you are forwarding.

Aren't we discussing why Wyoming has a low homicide rate? Guns kill lots of people each year. There are much fewer people per square mile in Wyoming, the opportunities for homicide are far less than in a city.
I was discussing that there is not a statistically relevant correlation when controlled for other factors like race, and certainly not a causal relationship, between the rate of gun ownership(per 100,000 people) and number of gun murders per 100,000(I use the per 100,000 stat so we can have a proportional comparison to account for variations in population size).

You are making a suggestion that population density is a correlate with gun murders, I don't dispute that. But whether or not there is a correlation or causal relationship between population density and gun murders is separate from the issue of the relationship between gun ownership rates and gun murders.

I would argue, and I am backed up on the data, that the size of the black population in an area is a much stronger correlate than the rate of gun ownership in an area. There is a positive correlation of around .8 between the size of the blac population and the gun murder rate.

Race and Crime in America Ron Unz 8211 Writings and Perspectives

I don't believe the number of guns effects the crime rates.

Is it really race? What if you look at income levels? Poverty rates? Inequality?

Obviously those who support this idiocy have never shot a semi-automatic handgun and are ignorant of the fact that it takes training and extensive practice to become consistently accurate and proficient with shot placement, even at short distances.

So again, this idiocy is reckless and irresponsible – an inexperienced, untrained individual such as a teacher or janitor is going to be wildly inaccurate with shot placement, particularly in the chaos and confusion of an actual incident, and end up killing only the children they're supposed to 'protect.'

Even without a criminal to shoot there will start being accidental shootings.

nonsense. There are less people in Wyoming than D.C. And we are talking about murders per 100000 people so we are talking proportional not nominal values to account for population differences.

The fact is. The number of blacks in an area is a far better determinant of the number of gun murders than the rate gun ownership in the area

In DC there are people packed together everywhere. In Wyoming you would have to search for hours just to find somebody to shoot. I'm exaggerating because you don't seem to get it.
So guns don't kill people. Population density does. The fact is, you don't even know what you are saying or the arguments you are forwarding.

Aren't we discussing why Wyoming has a low homicide rate? Guns kill lots of people each year. There are much fewer people per square mile in Wyoming, the opportunities for homicide are far less than in a city.
I was discussing that there is not a statistically relevant correlation when controlled for other factors like race, and certainly not a causal relationship, between the rate of gun ownership(per 100,000 people) and number of gun murders per 100,000(I use the per 100,000 stat so we can have a proportional comparison to account for variations in population size).

You are making a suggestion that population density is a correlate with gun murders, I don't dispute that. But whether or not there is a correlation or causal relationship between population density and gun murders is separate from the issue of the relationship between gun ownership rates and gun murders.

I would argue, and I am backed up on the data, that the size of the black population in an area is a much stronger correlate than the rate of gun ownership in an area. There is a positive correlation of around .8 between the size of the blac population and the gun murder rate.

Race and Crime in America Ron Unz 8211 Writings and Perspectives

I don't believe the number of guns effects the crime rates.

Is it really race? What if you look at income levels? Poverty rates? Inequality?
Yes, poverty is a moderate strong correlate ranging from .4 to .6 depending on the study, not a strong as race, specifically the black population. If you read the link I provided it will go about explaining that. Also, population density has little to know correlation interestingly. I would have thought it would have been a stronger correlate. It was anywhere from weak positive correlation to 0 to even a weak negative correlation.

There are definite issues of race and poverty, these effect crimes rates the most. But if we can't address them like mature adults and ignore they exist because it may be politically incorrect to do so, how do we go about solving them?

Forum List

Back