WSJ: Inflation almost back down to Fed’s2% target

So when will eggs be 2.50 a dozen again instead of $5 ?

When these inflated prices return to pre biden days then the inflation is over

And you dont know about that

Has biden sufficiently impoverished average Americans yet?

We’ll see
Eggs are an outlier due to the bird flu. Supply is fine for eggs currently so they should be coming down soon but if next years flocks are free from the flu devastation prices will drop. Remember lumber prices?

E17368BA-D86C-42ED-B941-55D16C24F0D6.jpeg

Ooooo. I love one off stories and anecdotes. They are so much more reliable than actual data. Prices have settled in. They’ll drop a bit but won’t be going up. Most wages have adjusted and will be catching back up with all the open jobs still in America. Make sure you are leveraging these good employment times to get the best salary (if you work for a living that is).
Long retired....I got mine when the getting was good.

But you, well, you are basically full of shit......That said you are good for the entertainment value. ;)

So, the inflated prices will never go away

Nice work Brandon
Depends on the item. You buy lumber recently? That was a big deal on here last year. Why aren’t you thanking Biden?

I don’t think you understand the article. I’m not surprised.
I understand it perfectly.
Inflation has broken records. Many staple food items have gone up over 50%. Everyday items people buy are the very products that have seen the highest price increases.
The article points out that the inflation is slowing.
That is nothing to celebrate when it is catastrophically high.
The only thing to celebrate is when it GOES DOWN.
Inflation always slows this time of year.
There is absolutely NOTHING to celebrate right now.

Long retired....I got mine when the getting was good.

But you, well, you are basically full of shit......That said you are good for the entertainment value. ;)

Retired eh? Well your 401k should be up big since Trump. Congratulations.

5FA5C8EE-2C0E-4F8A-93FE-8C2643487BC7.jpeg

I understand it perfectly.
Inflation has broken records. Many staple food items have gone up over 50%. Everyday items people buy are the very products that have seen the highest price increases.
The article points out that the inflation is slowing.
That is nothing to celebrate when it is catastrophically high.
The only thing to celebrate is when it GOES DOWN.
Inflation always slows this time of year.
There is absolutely NOTHING to celebrate right now.
You used to pay 25 cents for a loaf of bread. Prices always go up. In todays prices gasoline has always been around $3.20. It always goes up.

There’s been only about a 3% real rise in prices due to inflation because of wage growth. My guess is wages will creep up another 3% while prices hold around 2% closing the gap by the end of 2024.

E177F49F-DA17-4C07-A9CC-CCC96AFBD6E0.jpeg

Depends on the item. You buy lumber recently? That was a big deal on here last year. Why aren’t you thanking Biden?
Retired eh? Well your 401k should be up big since Trump. Congratulations.

View attachment 745622
LOL.....I just followed the congress-critters lead and did very well for myself......At least Pelosi & Co. was good for something. The hell of it was they did not even try to hide it if you knew where to look and it damn sure was not the WSJ. ;)

Eggs are an outlier due to the bird flu. Supply is fine for eggs currently so they should be coming down soon but if next years flocks are free from the flu devastation prices will drop. Remember lumber prices?

View attachment 745620
The bird flue has nothing do with the sharp rise in chicken feed, transportation, and other sundry inputs needed to raise chickens

And the number of chickens killed is a drop in the bucket compared to the total number that were not killed

Less than 1 million out of a total number over 400 million

Lumber prices are way up along with every other building supply

The bird flue has nothing do with the sharp rise in chicken feed, transportation, and other sundry inputs needed to raise chickens

And the number of chickens killed is a drop in the bucket compared to the total number that were not killed

Less than 1 million out of a total number over 400 million

Which is why prices will come back down. Just like lumber people overreact to potential disruptions.

Lumber prices are way up along with every other building supply

Lumber prices I posted above. Let me know if you have issues understanding and I can explain how the chart works
F55D0478-0C00-48DC-A45A-CEBEFB43D84E.jpeg

Which is why prices will come back down. Just like lumber people overreact to potential disruptions.

“The expectation for 2023 - with bird flu gone and production in feed going up, chicken prices should decrease.”

Your “expert” is full of crap

She seems to think the bird flue was the reason for high prices and it isnt

“The expectation for 2023 - with bird flu gone and production in feed going up, chicken prices should decrease.”

Your “expert” is full of crap

She seems to think the bird flue was the reason for high prices and it isnt
It is.

All I know is today I bought a lb of butter, a gallon of milk, a half loaf of bread, and a dozen eggs for 22 dollars. Double what that would cost me 2 years ago.

It like saying the Titanic now can't sink any further! Thank you, Joe!!

I only thank Biden for everything cuz this place blames him for everything. Biden has done well staying out of the way and focusing on things he can fix like our infrastructure.

Inflation was always going to fix itself cuz it was caused by a scarcity in goods and an opening of the economy with corporations taking advantage.

You're really kind of clueless.

You don’t want deflation. You want prices to stabilize and wage growth. Deflation will be devastating. A little bit is ok. With all the jobs Biden is creating you should be able to leverage that for better salaries and wages.
/-----/ Actually deflation would be good for American consumers, making their money go further. Check out the price of whole milk 1997 to 2022. Look at the spike in 2022. BTW, you can use the chart to measure any commodity price.
1673098597663.png

Last edited:
/-----/ Actually deflation would be good for American consumers, making their money go further. Check out the price of whole milk 1997 to 2022. Look at the spike in 2022.
View attachment 745633
Food an energy prices fluctuate. Core price inflation is more stable. There are items that will go up and down all the time. That’s why you measure a basket not just an item and why we pull out food and energy prices in the short term which are volatile.

Having said that yes there are a lot of outliers that need to reign in prices.

Food an energy prices fluctuate. Core price inflation is more stable. There are items that will go up and down all the time. That’s why you measure a basket not just an item and why we pull out food and energy prices in the short term which are volatile.

Having said that yes there are a lot of outliers that need to reign in prices.
/----/ I added this comment after you replied: BTW, you can use the chart to measure any commodity price. Just change the commodity in the search field. Then you can adjust the year spread. Kinda neat.

Murdoch’s Wall Street Journal points out what I’ve been telling you guys, inflation is over. For the last 5 months we’ve averaged 2.5%. It was transitory from supply restrictions and has now mostly righted itself. Still some risk from Ukraine war and turmoil in Iran on the energy front but the rest is settling down.

Maybe we should start the new year with some good news: Inflation has fallen dramatically.

No, that’s not a prediction; it’s a fact. With one month remaining in 2022 (in terms of available data), inflation in the second half of the year has run vastly lower than in the first half. In fact—and this is astonishing—it’s almost back down to the Federal Reserve’s 2% target. Even more astonishing, hardly anyone seems to have noticed.

Over the past five months (June to November 2022), inflation has slowed to a crawl. Whether measured by the consumer-price index, or CPI, which most people watch, or the price index for personal consumption expenditures, or PCE, which the Federal Reserve prefers, the annualized inflation rate has been around 2.5% over these five months.

As mentioned, the CPI inflation rate over the past 12 months has been an alarming 7.1%. But the U.S. economy got there by averaging an appalling 10.6% annualized inflation rate over the first seven months and a mere 2.5% over the last five. The PCE price index tells a similar story, though a somewhat less dramatic one. The 5.5% inflation rate over the past 12 months came from a 7.8% rate over the first seven months followed by a 2.4% rate over the last five.
Snoopy-S.gif

Forum List

Back