Zone1 Would you marry a person of another religion?

How was it a lie?
He doesn't believe that any gods exist yet he is participating in a religious ceremony that is meant to be witnessed by a god that he doesn't believe exists.

What about the part where he promises to raise as a Catholic any children you may have?

He doesn't believe that any gods exist yet he is participating in a religious ceremony that is meant to be witnessed by a god that he doesn't believe exists.
Once again, you are claiming to know what another thinks and that the person must think exactly as you do. Think again.

My husband is on the agnostic side of atheism. While he is sure the Gods of Greek and Roman mythology are myth, he is agnostic when it comes to the One God of the Bible and Quran. He is also agnostic when it comes to some Native American tribes who honor the Great Spirit. He doesn't think there is God, but he says he would never claim there is no God. He doesn't know. Further, he has often said that he prefers to believe there is no God because he wants to know he got through this life all on his own.

He knows why I believe in God and has even witnessed a couple of events that have deeply shaken his agnostic stance. But he is firm on wanting to get through this life all on his own.

Are you aware that a Catholic marriage ceremony is about two people exchanging vows to each other? Before we even became engaged, my husband went through all the vows. He was in firm agreement with me, no divorce.

The priest pronounces a line, "What God has joined together let no one put asunder." No problem. God or not, my husband didn't want anyone to divide us. Our vows to each other is what mattered most to him. If I wanted us to make these vows in a church, more power to me. He thought if God is, he certainly wouldn't mind His presence at his wedding. (However, he was fairly certain God wouldn't show.)

What about the part where he promises to raise as a Catholic any children you may have?
If he could raise our children to be football and baseball fans, he had no problem with me raising them to be Catholic and basketball fans. Naturally, the kids are now fans of gymnastics and ice skating. Today, one leans more towards non-denominational where there is women clergy; the other tends towards Judaism.

Once again, you are claiming to know what another thinks and that the person must think exactly as you do. Think again.

My husband is on the agnostic side of atheism. While he is sure the Gods of Greek and Roman mythology are myth, he is agnostic when it comes to the One God of the Bible and Quran. He is also agnostic when it comes to some Native American tribes who honor the Great Spirit. He doesn't think there is God, but he says he would never claim there is no God. He doesn't know. Further, he has often said that he prefers to believe there is no God because he wants to know he got through this life all on his own.

He knows why I believe in God and has even witnessed a couple of events that have deeply shaken his agnostic stance. But he is firm on wanting to get through this life all on his own.

Are you aware that a Catholic marriage ceremony is about two people exchanging vows to each other? Before we even became engaged, my husband went through all the vows. He was in firm agreement with me, no divorce.

The priest pronounces a line, "What God has joined together let no one put asunder." No problem. God or not, my husband didn't want anyone to divide us. Our vows to each other is what mattered most to him. If I wanted us to make these vows in a church, more power to me. He thought if God is, he certainly wouldn't mind His presence at his wedding. (However, he was fairly certain God wouldn't show.)

If he could raise our children to be football and baseball fans, he had no problem with me raising them to be Catholic and basketball fans. Naturally, the kids are now fans of gymnastics and ice skating. Today, one leans more towards non-denominational where there is women clergy; the other tends towards Judaism.
Hey you're the one who said your husband was an atheist

And the thing is that he made the promise that he would raise your children as Catholics and he knew he wouldn't do that if something happened to you and you knew it too.. He didn't say he was going to let you raise them as Catholics did he?

And what about the baptism where a parent has to claim he rejects Satan and believes in the Father Almighty?

And you deny he stood there in your church and lied?

And the thing is that he made the promise that he would raise your children as Catholics and he knew he wouldn't do that if something happened to you and you knew it too.. He didn't say he was going to let you raise them as Catholics did he?
Again, shows how you think you know everything about everyone else. The priest knew when he married us, my husband had not problem with me raising children in the Catholic faith. He wouldn't stand in the way. But he wouldn't have any part of raising them Catholic.

Of course. The children were baptized and raised Catholic. My grandparents did the same. My husband was in church for our wedding, two baptisms, two first communions, and the day he utterly surprised me by arranging to have our wedding vows renewed on our tenth anniversary.
This is the post I replied to

My Catholic grandmother married an atheist...and I, her Catholic granddaughter, did the same.

My father is Methodist and my mother is Presbyterian but I was raised in the Methodist religion. I converted to Catholicism after I graduated from college.

And what about the baptism where a parent has to claim he rejects Satan and believes in the Father Almighty?
Like my atheist grandfather...stood with the family and said nothing, and neither took part in any other prayers. Why? Are you going to tell me what you know "really" happened?

I would marry any Christian or Jew, but unlikely any other Religion. I mean if the person detaches from her religious traditions and is agnostic and i can relate to her thinking and values then it could be ok and then i wouldnt demand that she converts, but i would still want that the children are baptised.
Why would you want to ruin yer life with a contractual long-term relationship?

Again, shows how you think you know everything about everyone else. The priest knew when he married us, my husband had not problem with me raising children in the Catholic faith. He wouldn't stand in the way. But he wouldn't have any part of raising them Catholic.
Those are the vows you had to take in a Catholic church right?

Why would an atheist promise to raise his kids Catholic to believe in a god he thinks does not exist ?

Are you telling me you truly believed that if something happened to you he would raise your kids as Catholics? Or is it something you never bothered to talk about?

Like my atheist grandfather...stood with the family and said nothing, and neither took part in any other prayers. Why? Are you going to tell me what you know "really" happened?
Well at least he didn't lie during the baptisms I guess that's something.

My father is Methodist and my mother is Presbyterian but I was raised in the Methodist religion. I converted to Catholicism after I graduated from college.
Those are just different flavors of the same religion though aren't they?

Yes. He was in the church. You can't be so clueless as to think that someone who is in the church is obligated to participate. Or, maybe you are that clueless.
So he didn;t participate in your wedding vows ?

WHat did he say to the priest when he was asked about raising any kids you might have as Catholic? Didi he not answer?

WHat did he say to the priest when he was asked about raising any kids you might have as Catholic? Didi he not answer?
It was not a part of the wedding ceremony. It was something discussed prior to the wedding.

Those are the vows you had to take in a Catholic church right?

Why would an atheist promise to raise his kids Catholic to believe in a god he thinks does not exist ?
What vows? My husband never vowed to raise children Catholic. During marriage preparation (not help inside the church building) we were asked about children. Yes, we wanted children, yes I would be raising them in the Catholic faith, and my husband, though not taking part in this, would not stand in the way of children being raised Catholic.
Are you telling me you truly believed that if something happened to you he would raise your kids as Catholics? Or is it something you never bothered to talk about?
Of course, had anything happened to me he wouldn't have raised the kids Catholic! Are you really that dense? And now you "know" that we must not have ever talked about it! Yes, you actually must be that dense.

Forum List

Back