Women and combat....not a good idea...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
This article is a good look at the problem with women in combat roles...and no, they aren't talking about women in combat, but women as fighters taking the fight to the enemy, killing and surviving to attack again....

Putting Women in Combat -- Ineffective Terrible Idea National Review Online

Another common argument is that women are already dying in combat zones, so it’s only fair to formalize what they are doing. But this debate is not about the supreme sacrifice that 144 servicewomen have made in combat zones since 9/11, but how effective women can be in doing a different job — projecting combat power, killing the enemy, and surviving to fight another day. The women who have died in service to their country need to be honored, but they should not be honored by increasing the chances that other servicemen and women will die as well.

As former Marine Jude Eden writes in the April 2015 edition of Military Review, “Being in the combat zone, dangerous as it is, is still worlds away from the door-kicking offensive missions of our combat units.” Being killed in a crash or by an IED is not the same as surviving physically demanding combat patrols carrying combat loads of 60 to 140 pounds, which challenge even men’s superior endurance and strength. A willingness to die for one’s country is a noble and a necessary condition for effective combat soldiers, but it is far from sufficient.

So why do men and women perform so differently in combat-related tasks? First, physiologically and psychologically, women and men are significantly different. Men are not simply bigger women with different plumbing. Men’s blood carries 10 to 12 percent more oxygen per liter than does a women’s; and men’s VO2 max, a measure of the top rate of oxygen consumption, is 40 to 60 percent greater than that of women. An average fit man will weigh about 23 percent more, have 50 percent more muscle mass, and carry 10 percent less body fat than an average fit woman. Pound for pound, men have thicker skulls, bigger, stronger necks, hearts that are 17 percent larger, and bones that are both bigger and denser. Despite being much heavier, men’s vertical leap is nearly 50 percent greater than that of women. In terms of reflexes and reaction times, men significantly outperform women. When confronted with immediate danger, studies suggest men are “more likely than women to take action.” Women are far more likely to experience motion sickness and vertigo. In the Navy women go on sick call 60 to 70 percent more frequently.

For the kind of violent events and situations found on the battlefield, women are far more likely to develop post-traumatic stress disorder and experience the symptoms for a longer duration than men. Despite the gender-specific ability to handle the pain of childbirth, “study after study” conclusively shows that men have a much higher overall tolerance for pain than women. Individually, any one of above differences could make the difference between life and death. In the combat environment, the differences between men and women in speed, strength, endurance, agility, physical resiliency, and psychological resiliency represents an unbridgeable gap — and the impact on the battlefield is dramatic.Read more at: Putting Women in Combat -- Ineffective Terrible Idea National Review Online

I'm kind of split on this one. Kurdish women have been kicking Islamic state ass so it's possible. But could the average American woman do it? Not so sure...

I'm kind of split on this one. Kurdish women have been kicking Islamic state ass so it's possible. But could the average American woman do it? Not so sure...

They have no choice....and how effective are they or would they be against a modern trained military force?

haha, funny joke, you make it look like American women fat and lazy....Wait,,that's no joke...

They have no choice....and how effective are they or would they be against a modern trained military force?
Like whom? Like the Ruskies who have used women in actual combat during war and they still managed to win... Israelis also...

Personal opinion?

American women are too pampered, for the most part, for combat duty.
(Even feminists)

Women in some other countries have grown up in war zones, trained to survive most of their lives to survive combat situations.

I think either gender can be trained to kill, but can any culture?

As you can tell it can be done. But would American culture ALLOW it to be done?

I had and aunt that was tough as nails farm girl..She could outfight most men she made love to...she stabbed one after he hit her...

Big difference between a combat soldier and a sniper.
Anyone can be taught to shoot straight.

True enough but the will to kill is yet another. We are not talking some clinic we ARE talking facing death. Theirs or yours and as a whole American women have never faced that.

index.php

True enough but the will to kill is yet another. We are not talking some clinic we ARE talking facing death. Theirs or yours and as a whole American women have never faced that.

True,but I've never felt squeamish about killing. Whether it be a deer or my enemy.
I know my wife could drop an enemy of our country without blinking,of course she's a country girl who knows how to shoot and hunt.
I'll never forget the day she proved to me she can actually shoot a beer can in mid air from the hip.....
Color me shocked and impressed.

True,but I've never felt squeamish about killing. Whether it be a deer or my enemy.
I know my wife could drop an enemy of our country without blinking,of course she's a country girl who knows how to shoot and hunt.
I'll never forget the day she proved to me she can actually shoot a beer can in mid air from the hip.....

I think it's more a culture thing. Nothing to back their being unable.
Israeli women kill
Kurdish woman kill
Russian women kill
Chinese women kill
Japanese women have killed
German women have killed.

So it's NOT gender and MUST be culture.

Israeli women kill
Kurdish woman kill
Russian women kill
Chinese women kill

Country culture vs. city culture....

Israeli women kill
Kurdish woman kill
Russian women kill
Chinese women kill

REAL men and REAL women vs PUSSIES and Homo's.

Israeli women kill
Kurdish woman kill
Russian women kill
Chinese women kill

That would depend on the part of the city they were raised in.

Israeli women kill
Kurdish woman kill
Russian women kill
Chinese women kill

That would depend on the part of the city they were raised in.

True to a certain extent.
But i've never known a country girl that was squeamish about killen...

The Kurdish women fighters are an extremely effective fighting force and have proven themselves so. The Kurdish men respect them as such. You are just another sexist. Nothing more, nothing less.

Forum List

Back