Woman’s name and tiny sketches found in 1,300-year-old medieval text

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Academics have discovered the Old English female name Eadburg was repeatedly scored into the surface of the religious text, using a method that kept it hidden from the naked eye for more than 12 centuries.

The covert writing of the woman’s name was finally revealed when researchers at the Bodleian Library in Oxford used cutting-edge technology to capture the 3D surface of the ancient manuscript, a Latin copy of the Acts of the Apostles that was made in England between AD700 and AD750.

It is the first time this technology, capable of revealing “almost invisible” markings so shallow they measure about a fifth of the width of a human hair, has been used to record annotations on the surface of a manuscript.

A woman doodles and the world goes crazy because it's proof. The wording in the article made me laugh because it truly is just doodling on a book instead of a bathroom stall.

It's fun but...........like exactly what you would expect out of someone that was bored but instructed to read it.

The people investigating this automatically assume that the woman wrote her name over and over herself ...

“I could understand why somebody might write someone else’s name once. But I don’t know why you would write somebody else’s name so many times like that,” Hodgkinson said."

Mr, Hodgkinson has obviously never been obsessed with a girl. Apparently, the titular Eadburg was a hottie ...

125958755_887554ad99_b.jpg

Academics have discovered the Old English female name Eadburg was repeatedly scored into the surface of the religious text, using a method that kept it hidden from the naked eye for more than 12 centuries.

The covert writing of the woman’s name was finally revealed when researchers at the Bodleian Library in Oxford used cutting-edge technology to capture the 3D surface of the ancient manuscript, a Latin copy of the Acts of the Apostles that was made in England between AD700 and AD750.

It is the first time this technology, capable of revealing “almost invisible” markings so shallow they measure about a fifth of the width of a human hair, has been used to record annotations on the surface of a manuscript.

A woman doodles and the world goes crazy because it's proof. The wording in the article made me laugh because it truly is just doodling on a book instead of a bathroom stall.

How interesting!

I often wonder about such things- things still left to discover or rediscover. Think of all the fabulous papers hidden away in colleges, warehouses, museums... the Vatican is rich with history recorded.

Forum List

Back