Woman gets 30 days in jail for texting in court

i hate text zombies...sorry...

but still if it had to be reported to him..he should have just fussed at her and let it be

Sorry but this is ignorant. He did not even know she did it. It had absolutely no effect on the court proceedings and is cruel and unusual punishment in my opinion.

A slightly more balanced version of the story than KMAN's drivel.

In early April, Joshua was sick and couldn't make his court appearance in a debt collection case. He sent Susan to ask for a continuance and to keep him updated, so she sent a text that said: "It doesn't look good for you" and "They're coming for the Polaris Ranger."

The Polaris was one of several items the other side of the case wanted to sell to recoup supposed losses. Henwood says his wife's text wasn't a warning to hide anything, just a heads up.

But Judge Stephen Henroid caught wind of the text and held Susan in contempt of court. She started her 30 day sentence Monday.
ksl.com - Woman sent to jail for texting in court

In early April, Joshua was sick and couldn't make his court appearance in a debt collection case. He sent Susan to ask for a continuance and to keep him updated, so she sent a text that said: "It doesn't look good for you" and "They're coming for the Polaris Ranger."

The Polaris was one of several items the other side of the case wanted to sell to recoup supposed losses. Henwood says his wife's text wasn't a warning to hide anything, just a heads up.

But Judge Stephen Henroid caught wind of the text and held Susan in contempt of court. She started her 30 day sentence Monday.

isn't a heads up a warning?

30 days sounds about right.

o shit they were stupid...a simple one button push call...would have done....no record....if i call ..hide the shit...but today in the outdoor thread is a photo of my son driving the quad..texting....they do it everywhere

I agree, sounds like the texter was just trying to pull at heart strings with that. With this information I think she got what she deserved.

That's interesting additional info, but I'm not sure it proves intent.

Seriously? Why else would she mention it specifically? A 'heads up'? Yeah ... why?

By that logic, if she had called after court had adjourned, she would still be guilty, right? What if his lawyer had called to give the same news? Jail for the lawyer?

It's hard to judge the reality based on the scant information in the media, but on the basis of what we know so far this seems excessive.

Seriously? Why else would she mention it specifically? A 'heads up'? Yeah ... why?

Neither you or I know all the facts here. Perhaps the vehicle had only just been attached. If it was a warning then fine, I agree, she's in contempt. We don't know the character of the person involved, or the particulars of the case. I prefer not to rush to judge.

By that logic, if she had called after court had adjourned, she would still be guilty, right? What if his lawyer had called to give the same news? Jail for the lawyer?

It's hard to judge the reality based on the scant information in the media, but on the basis of what we know so far this seems excessive.

no, because she'd be out of court and unable to be in contempt. i find the judge's unwillingness to comment troubling. 30 days may be excessive, as you say without more info, it's hard to say.

yup...

the ijits need to stop reading WND.

plus, what's also probably not being said was that before she could be put in jail for contempt, the judge had to have issued an order from the bench directing her to stop texting.

that said, what i might have done were i the judge is have her text the guy and tell him to be in court in the next 15 minutes (with the polaris) or HE would be charged with contempt.

.... just sayin'.

plus, don't believe that the dear boy was sick. someone probably told him that if he defaulted, he could get the case re-opened.

I'm not sure it has to prove any intent. Minus any more information, it sounds like she got a simple contempt of court citation for violating the judge's general ban on texting. And there's nothing unusual or out of control about that. Judges have always been very touchy about their dignity and having their orders followed. I knew a judge once who cited a lawyer for contempt of court for wearing basketball shoes in court, because he said it was "mocking the seriousness of the court".

Forum List

Back