Windows 8.1 --- The start button is back!!!....well...not really.

If Win8 RTM would support x86 applications, tablets would be interesting.

There are two versions of Windows 8. The one in the cheap tablets only runs the apps, the one in Computers and the Surface Pro tablets supports everything.
Yes, Win8 RTM is not made for x86 but for ARM CPUs and therefore does not natively run x86 applications. But it should not be a problem for Microsoft to develop an emulator.

You are confusing RTM with RT.

There are two versions of Windows 8. The one in the cheap tablets only runs the apps, the one in Computers and the Surface Pro tablets supports everything.
Yes, Win8 RTM is not made for x86 but for ARM CPUs and therefore does not natively run x86 applications. But it should not be a problem for Microsoft to develop an emulator.

You are confusing RTM with RT.
Now I see. I mean RT of course :)

Has anyone tried Classic Shell?
Needs extra time to load after boot process is accomplished.

Is it worth installing?
Do you see any problems down the road with compatibility?
There are better solutions especially designed for Windows 8/8.1, like startisback, my favorite. I used Classic Shell in an early stadium of Windows 8, the Windows Developer Preview and it worked. MS blocked it in the Consumer Preview, dunno whats now. However, startisback is by far the best start menu for Win8. It can anything, Win7 could and more. Furthermore its fast and stable and does not bring any disadvantage.
StartIsBack - real start menu for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1

Last edited:
Needs extra time to load after boot process is accomplished.

Is it worth installing?
Do you see any problems down the road with compatibility?
There are better solutions especially designed for Windows 8/8.1, like startisback, my favorite. I used Classic Shell in an early stadium of Windows 8, the Windows Developer Preview and it worked. MS blocked it in the Consumer Preview, dunno whats now. However, startisback is by far the best start menu for Win8. It can anything, Win7 could and more. Furthermore its fast and stable and does not bring any disadvantage.
StartIsBack - real start menu for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1

Thank you. I took your suggestion and bought a copy.
Maybe in a few days I can tell you what I think about it.

Forum List

Back