Windows 7 "End of Life"

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
That's what some are calling it.
The cut off date for Win 7 support ends next month on the 14th. What should you do?
In my opinion do what you want, you want to keep it? Then keep it. You want to finally bite the bullet and upgrade to Win 10 then go right ahead, you wanna jump to another operating system then be my guest.

How to prepare for Windows 7 End of Life | TechRadar

Updating to 10 is not so bad...you can still keep a windows 7 looking start up dialog box and document storage...you will barely know anything has changed...

The cut off date for Win 7 support ends next month on the 14th. What should you do?
In my opinion do what you want, you want to keep it? Then keep it. You want to finally bite the bullet and upgrade to Win 10 then go right ahead, you wanna jump to another operating system then be my guest.

If I were to have a concern regarding the phasing out of support for Win7, it would be predicated upon the notion that many people upgraded a version of 7 to 10. So, the underlying foundation is Win7.

I was using Win7, but decided to go full install of Win10 over the upgrade. I have had zero problems with Win10 with the exception that it seems to be overpowering regarding HDD drives. Before I installed an SSD on my system and an m.2 on my wifes, the harddrive would be worked hard with read/writes. Particularly at power-up.

It seems that right after the system does its POST, it starts reading and swapping pages at a tremendous rate and it would sometimes take upwards of 5 minutes for the hard drive to settle down.

I did discover that some of that activity was my old virus protection software and I switched to Webroot and that alleviated some of the issues.

At any rate, that was an aside and not really on topic. Sorry.

No reason to stop using it......just make sure you have a good and updated firewall program (other than Windows Firewall) and virus protection.

It's easy to extract a lot of information about your computer and operating system using readily available tools. Hackers and phishing schemes read the browser and OS you're using to craft attacks.

You can easily spoof your OS and browser to report that it's a different one.

baloney.png

I am downloading windows 10 home edition for free even as we speak

I guess I'll do nothing. I'm still running XP.

Windows 10 is now solid as far as operating.
You just have to agree to allowing them to spy on absolutely everything you do. Everything.

I'm trying to think what I use a computer for that is actually meaningful in any way. I can't really think of anything, to be honest.

I could always go back to using my drafting table and draw the old fashioned way.

I don't need to do my banking online. Not really. I don't need to manage my healthcare online. Not really. Certainly don't need to be popping my pie hole off on message boards. Not really. If the weather was nicer I'd rather be polishing my engine or something. Or running my dog. Or doing the mambo with the better half.

The older I get, the more I tend to believe it makes way more sense to return to things that are meaningful. Just ditch all of these trinkets. They're not even enjoyable if you have some government goon lookin over your shoulder watching everything you do like you're some kind of criminal.

Are you really? I know some people who still do.

Yep. Hell I still have a computer with win95 on it. It has some engineering software I thought I might use again someday so instead of just tossing it, I kept it. That CAE software wasn't exactly cheap to come by. I think it's even more today and all you get these days is one seat for one year.

Yep. Hell I still have a computer with win95 on it. It has some engineering software I thought I might use again someday so instead of just tossing it, I kept it. That CAE software wasn't exactly cheap to come by. I think it's even more today and all you get these days is one seat for one year.
Don't get me started on the subscription model of software.
They are ALL doing it now. Adobe started the crap, now nearly all business related software is subscription only.... which is basically keep paying us forever or you lose. Can't get over the degree of ripoff it is, and you have no choice. None.

I retired my ASUS Win7. But I kept it. I have Win10 now. I hate it. So..gonna rehook up my beloved Asus.

Don't get me started on the subscription model of software.
They are ALL doing it now. Adobe started the crap, now nearly all business related software is subscription only.... which is basically keep paying us forever or you lose. Can't get over the degree of ripoff it is, and you have no choice. None.
Yeah I think that shit started with engineering software. It could have been AutoCad which I never thought was any damn good. By the time you overcame the software learning curve it was time to start another project and the assholes would change the software again. For simple 2D mechanical stuff, Viseo got the job done for me. You could actually do a lot of stuff more than flow charts and floor plans with it.
For flow charts I used something else but I forgot the name. It was unusual in that you could either drag and drop shapes and connect them or you could write a simple script code or switch back and forth which was usually the way I worked. You had the graphics in one window and the code list in another, as you filled in one side, it filled in the other so it didn't matter if you were thinking of the overall problem graphically or logically it didn't matter because you could keep working. It might not even be around anymore though but it was sure handy.

Okay, good for you. :dunno:

Forum List

Back