Will Obama pardon Hillary?

I know how you feelz, but what counts is what is reelz.

Obama can issue a blanket pardon to Clinton if he so wishes, and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

And who would pardon him? He has consistently proclaimed she did nothing wrong, a pardon would be proof of his complicity.
I am sure Trump will pardon Obama on T's second day of office.
You're predictions don't carry a whole lot of weight around here.....McMullin apologist.
With the far right, I am sure. But you guys don't count much at all.
We just elected a President, fool...
My question is, if obama was to pardon hrc, would he need to pardon her for a specific charge? Or could he issue a blanket pardon?
We have already answered that. Look above. If you think Trump is going to shrink govt, collect less taxes, and give the middle class a break, you are the fool.

I know how you feelz, but what counts is what is reelz.

Obama can issue a blanket pardon to Clinton if he so wishes, and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

And who would pardon him? He has consistently proclaimed she did nothing wrong, a pardon would be proof of his complicity.
I am sure Trump will pardon Obama on T's second day of office.
You're predictions don't carry a whole lot of weight around here.....McMullin apologist.
With the far right, I am sure. But you guys don't count much at all.
We just elected a President, fool...
My question is, if obama was to pardon hrc, would he need to pardon her for a specific charge? Or could he issue a blanket pardon?

He could give her a blanket pardon for anything she has done up to the time of the pardon. It wouldn't be an admission of guilt, but immunity from future prosecution.

I say the foundation investigation continues until he's out of office and can't pardon anyone, then start indicting.
You don't understand? If Obama gives her a blanket pardon on January 19th, next year, she is clear and free.

Fakey you haven't been right about a damn thing this year, go take a nap.
oky, thank you for admitting that you have no idea about this. Here you go.

"In 1866, the Supreme Court ruled in Ex parte Garland that the pardon power "extends to every offence known to the law, and may be exercised at any time after its commission, either before legal proceedings are taken, or during their pendency, or after conviction and judgment." (In that case, a former Confederate senator successfully petitioned the court to uphold a pardon that prevented him from being disbarred.) Generally speaking, once an act has been committed, the president can issue a pardon at any time—regardless of whether charges have even been filed."

Can President Bush pardon people who haven't even been charged with a crime?

Clinton is finished. Obama will see what he can get in return for a pardon or not from the GOP leadership.
dude, the question is what offense?

I say the foundation investigation continues until he's out of office and can't pardon anyone, then start indicting.
You don't understand? If Obama gives her a blanket pardon on January 19th, next year, she is clear and free.
I think you confuse "pardon" with "immunity". They are not the same and the president can't grant the one.

Note the section below.

"meaning that he can pardon any such, known and unknown, to the date of the pardon."

If she's charged after that, he can't help her.

He may ask Trump, Ryan, and McConnell, "What will you give me if I don't pardon Hillary, and let her become the gift that keeps on giving?"
If he believes Trump will follow through on appointing an independent prosecutor to investigate Clinton's crimes and the attempted cover up of them, Obama will have to pardon not only Clinton but Comey and Lynch, too, because all the trails will lead back to the part his administration played in both the crimes and the cover up.

I think you confuse "pardon" with "immunity". They are not the same and the president can't grant the one.

Note the section below.

"meaning that he can pardon any such, known and unknown, to the date of the pardon."

You don't get it. She can't be charged after the pardon date for anything before the pardon date. Here is the reasoning.

http://scholarship.law.wm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2444&context=wmlr

He may ask Trump, Ryan, and McConnell, "What will you give me if I don't pardon Hillary, and let her become the gift that keeps on giving?"
If he believes Trump will follow through on appointing an independent prosecutor to investigate Clinton's crimes and the attempted cover up of them, Obama will have to pardon not only Clinton but Comey and Lynch, too, because all the trails will lead back to the part his administration played in both the crimes and the cover up.
Let's see if Obama does that.

OK, so when it's a 2-year old throwing tantrum it can be overlooked as just being part of "the terrible twos". But when 12-year old Jammie-boi throws one? OK, if one is exceptionally charitable....maybe.

Note the section below.

You don't get it. She can't be charged after the pardon date for anything before the pardon date. Here is the reasoning.

Leaving that aside, if he did try to do that, it would seal her guilt in the eyes of the people. He won't try that unless he has solid evidence she would not only be charged, but convicted.

Note the section below.

Leaving that aside, if he did try to do that, it would seal her guilt in the eyes of the people. He won't try that unless he has solid evidence she would not only be charged, but convicted.

He will frame it as being in the best interest of the country. Kind of like Bush with Scooter Libby

Neither Clinton will run again

Hadit, there is nothing to leave aside, the issue being quite clear what are the powers and extent of them.

Obama will do it just to end the investigations.

Everyone would plead the 5th and smile at the committee chair persons.

The public would grow very tired of it very quickly.

Hadit, there is nothing to leave aside, the issue being quite clear what are the powers and extent of them.

Trump would love it if Obama pardoned Hillary. It will get him off the hook on his promise to prosecute her and allow him to avoid the public perception that it is political revenge

A pardon would remove the criminal consequences of an action, and that would effectively remove the constitutional protection against self incrimination, so those pardoned could be compelled to testify under threat of contempt of court. The purpose of the investigation would then be to uncover the extent of a criminal conspiracy between the Justice Department, the State Department and the WH with the Clinton campaign to cover up crimes committed concerning the secret, private email server and Clinton's other possibly illegal machinations at the State Department and after.

It is unclear how many indictments of people lower down it might produce, and it would probably not be as much of a page turner as the Starr report, but it would hold the public's interest for some time and produce a ton of baggage Democratic candidates would have to carry in two years, four years, six years and perhaps even in eight years.

Trump would love it if Obama pardoned Hillary. It will get him off the hook on his promise to prosecute her and allow him to avoid the public perception that it is political revenge
Not only Trump supporters, but Sanders supporters and many disgruntled and disappointed Democrats would love to see some one punish Clinton, arguably the most unpopular woman in America.

A pardon would remove the criminal consequences of an action, and that would effectively remove the constitutional protection against self incrimination, so those pardoned could be compelled to testify under threat of contempt of court. The purpose of the investigation would then be to uncover the extent of a criminal conspiracy between the Justice Department, the State Department and the WH with the Clinton campaign to cover up crimes committed concerning the secret, private email server and Clinton's other possibly illegal machinations at the State Department and after.

It is unclear how many indictments of people lower down it might produce, and it would probably not be as much of a page turner as the Starr report, but it would hold the public's interest for some time and produce a ton of baggage Democratic candidates would have to carry in two years, four years, six years and perhaps even in eight years.
A pardon for one person does not remove the 5th Amendment protection for anyone else. I hope you did not go to law school.

Not only Trump supporters, but Sanders supporters and many disgruntled and disappointed Democrats would love to see some one punish Clinton, arguably the most unpopular woman in America.
No one is going to "punish" Clinton.

Do you understand what you just wrote? You changed your argument from a pardon invalidates 5th Amendment protections to that of a prosecutor right to grant immunity.

A pardon for one person does not remove the 5th Amendment protection for anyone else. I hope you did not go to law school.
A pardon for Hillary would remove he fifth amendment protection against self incrimination, and she could then be compelled to testify under oath. If she lied, she could be prosecuted for perjury and if she refused to testify, she could be jailed for contempt of court. Similarly for Comey, Lynch, etc.

This is a great thread, Jake just got a bunch of Trump supporters to say she's not guilty, in other words that they made up the whole thing for propaganda purposes.

Forum List

Back