Will farmers feel the effects of John Deere strikers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were getting a 6% pay increase plus inflation adjusting wages going forward that the union negotiated and still rejected it. They just don't want to work IMO.

Or some faction in the Union convinced them that the tide is tilting towards workers over employers right now.

I have no grudge against private sector unions, my issues is completely with the public sector ones.

Or some faction in the Union convinced them that the tide is tilting towards workers over employers right now.

I have no grudge against private sector unions, my issues is completely with the public sector ones.

They won't last long. If they were making $60K and turned down $72K offer then they already have big boy bills like mortgages and car payments that are going to come due.

They won't last long. If they were making $60K and turned down $72K offer then they already have big boy bills like mortgages and car payments that are going to come due.

All depends on the Union's war chest, and how much the leadership wants to keep their position. Curious to know what the renegade faction consists of.

All depends on the Union's war chest, and how much the leadership wants to keep their position. Curious to know what the renegade faction consists of.

Union war chests pay very little in terms of paychecks. I think the last time my brother's union went on strike he didn't even bother applying to receive their $8/week strike fund pay. Anyway, this can be a problem with good paying unionized jobs. A lot of the workers are not well-educated and do not manage their money particularly well---they get used to living from big pay check to big paycheck. Once the income stream gets disrupted, their will can be broken in a matter of weeks unless they have spouses who bring home the bacon. In addition, in a lot of places they are already at the top end of the wage spectrum for people with their skill set so it isn't like they really have other job prospects that pay nearly as much.

Union war chests pay very little in terms of paychecks. I think the last time my brother's union went on strike he didn't even bother applying to receive their $8/week strike fund pay. Anyway, this can be a problem with good paying unionized jobs. A lot of the workers are not well-educated and do not manage their money particularly well---they get used to living from big pay check to big paycheck. Once the income stream gets disrupted, their will can be broken in a matter of weeks unless they have spouses who bring home the bacon. In addition, in a lot of places they are already at the top end of the wage spectrum for people with their skill set so it isn't like they really have other job prospects that pay nearly as much.

People in a factory like a Deere factory can probably handyman it for a while off the books, but there are only so many of those positions open at any given time or location.

People in a factory like a Deere factory can probably handyman it for a while off the books, but there are only so many of those positions open at any given time or location.

Sure. A lot of people at my brother's work also already have side businesses up and running as their wonky 12 hour schedules leave them with full days off during the week. Mostly habdyman type jobs you mention---roofing, lawn maintenance, painters, etc. This is something that their union has actually made part of their contracts for years--the company has to pay for the workers who want to attend classes to teach them other job skills so that if they ever pull out of the area, those workers will have marketable skill sets. Some of the classes are more hobby things like scuba diving, but others are things like bookkeeping, carpentry, engine repair, auto-body, etc.

Now if we only had a government to penalize the company when it decides to move all manufacturing to Mexico.
Its an odd thing

Deere probably can get away with moving to Mexico

What they cant do is relocate to a Right to Work state like Georgia or Texas

I support the striking workers 100 percent. More strikes are on the horizon. Time is now to take a stand. Will this affect farmers?
not really…most farmers already have equipment and can hold off on buying new equipment

it will have a larger impact on home owners that have yards

They were getting a 6% pay increase plus inflation adjusting wages going forward that the union negotiated and still rejected it. They just don't want to work IMO.
The CEO's pay went up 160% during the pandemic. Deere announced third quarter profit of $1.6 billion. Dividend payout increased 18%. Seems like they can afford to pay everybody significantly more except the workers.

This is just the beginning. The time has come for workers to revolt.

not really…most farmers already have equipment and can hold off on buying new equipment

it will have a larger impact on home owners that have yards
I read an article today that actually farmers seek out older equipment to avoid having to pay for $50k a year software updates and forced to buy Deere replacement parts. But in any case Deere had a $1.6 billion profit last quarter so somebody is buying.

The CEO's pay went up 160% during the pandemic. Deere announced third quarter profit of $1.6 billion. Dividend payout increased 18%. Seems like they can afford to pay everybody significantly more except the workers.

This is just the beginning. The time has come for workers to revolt.

Let the workers revolt.....the big bad greedy people can also afford to wait them out. Perhaps some of the revolutonaries can get side jobs repossessing the vehicles of their co-workers to keep it from happening to theirs.

Let the workers revolt.....the big bad greedy people can also afford to wait them out. Perhaps some of the revolutonaries can get side jobs repossessing the vehicles of their co-workers to keep it from happening to theirs.
Why are you so against the 95% making more money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back