Will Anyone Ever Break Roger Maris' Record ?(61 HRs)

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
Will this be the year that someone will break Roger Maris' long-standing home run record of 61 home runs in a single 162 game season ? It has already been more than half a century (53 years) since Maris did the "impossible" (break Babe Ruth's record)

Ruth's record was said to have stood a long time, and that was only 34 years. The closest anyone has come to Maris' record was Ryan Howard (58), Luis Gonzalez (57), and Ken Griffey Jr. (56 twice). Two of the possibilities now might be Jose Bautista (who hit 54 in 2010, and Chris Davis who hit 53 in 2013.

I might have mentioned David Ortiz and Alex Rodriguez both of whom hit 54 HRs less than 10 years ago, but Ortiz failed PED tests and Rodriguez admitted using PEDs for years.

Note: Only records PED players can have is what team they played for, field position, and dates (not performance records)

what deserted island you been living on? druggies sosa,mcguire,and Bonds did a long time ago.:cuckoo::cuckoo::lmao:

oh and the babe is STILL the TRUE home run king because maris did it in more games than ruth had to do it in and as i pointed out,sosa,mcguire,and Bonds cheated to do it.

Last edited:
what deserted island you been living on? druggies sosa,mcguire,and Bonds did a long time ago.:cuckoo::cuckoo::lmao:

oh and the babe is STILL the TRUE home run king because maris did it in more games than ruth had to do it in and as i pointed out,sosa,mcguire,and Bonds cheated to do it.

What deserted island are you on right now? You act like I'm disagreeing with you, and than you say just what I said. That the druggies cheated, and therefore they can't have performance records, and what they did doesn't count.

As for Maris, he hit 61 in 162 games. No one else has done that. There's no way to know if Ruth would have done it if he had played 162 games, so Maris stands alone with that (162 game) record. Interesting to note also, is that Mickey Mantle hit 54 home runs the same year that Maris hit his 61 (1961). And both Mantle with his 54, and Ruth with his 60, both have higher home run averages than Maris.
Maris (1961 - 590 at bats) - .103
Mantle (1961 - 514 at bats) - .105
Ruth (1927 - 540 at bats) - .111

Other things could also factor in. Number of games played is only one factor. There's also the relief pitcher factor. They weren't so acceptable or standard before World War II (all of Ruth's career), and often, hitters had the benefit of hitting against a pitcher who was tired out, with no relief pitchers coming in. The hitters could bash him around for 3 or 4 innings. This benefitted Ruth, while Maris and Mantle had to face fresh, relief pitchers much more commonly.

Distance of Yankee Stadium fences were different too. In Ruth's years the centerfield fence was 490 feet and deep right center was 425. In 1961, the distances were 461 and 407. Disadvantage to Ruth. The middle rightfield fence was deeper for Maris and Mantle though - 367 (350 for Ruth). Advantage for Ruth.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back